WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

"What the health" on Netflix

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
So a friend of ours told us we should watch "what the health" on Netflix. Last night we finally watched it. Wow! Very interesting and makes a lot of sense. On the other hand it could me another mellinial left wing deal also. It's hard to decipher what's what. I was telling my wife maybe we should try this whole vegan thing for a month or so and see how we feel. Thinking right now would be a great time while doing the RDP weight loss challenge. This would be a HUGE change from my eating habits. I would love to get off my daily heartburn pill that I have been on for over 20 years now. What's some of your all thoughts on this? Do we have any Vegans on here?

JD D05

Reaction score
Buy this shirt and think about what you have done. :D

https://www.bisonunion.com/collections/shirts/products/shut-the-fork-up-t-shirt

The "Shut The Fork Up or STFU" tee is a celebration of eating great American food like Biscuits & Gravy, Chicken Friend Steak, Bacon, Big Fat Ribeye Steaks, fully loaded Cheeseburgers with Fries and Tots, Ice Cream, Kale and Wheatgrass.....just kidding, no Kale and Wheatgrass here.

If you wear this to eat a great American meal, PLEASE eat good old fashion food that makes ya feel good!

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Every vegan i know looks pale and unhealthy. Most have to take supplements to round out the diet. Why not just get the things your body needs from the food you eat? full disclosure. I am the worst possible person to be commenting on dietary health.

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score

The "Shut The Fork Up or STFU" tee is a celebration of eating great American food like Biscuits & Gravy, Chicken Friend Steak, Bacon, Big Fat Ribeye Steaks, fully loaded Cheeseburgers with Fries and Tots, Ice Cream, Kale and Wheatgrass.....just kidding, no Kale and Wheatgrass here.

If you wear this to eat a great American meal, PLEASE eat good old fashion food that makes ya feel good!

Lol! I know that's all my type of food! Like I said this would be a HUGE change for me. I don't really think I could stick to it but if it makes you feel "so great" I think while on the RDP weight challenge would be a perfect time to try.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score

They're pretty darn proud of that shirt.
( Notice no swearing)

JD D05

Reaction score
Lol! I know that's all my type of food! Like I said this would be a HUGE change for me. I don't really think I could stick to it but if it makes you feel "so great" I think while on the RDP weight challenge would be a perfect time to try.

I personally could not do it. Out with friends etc if I said I can't eat that I am vegan I would pull why own gun out and wash my mouth out.

JD D05

Reaction score
Lmao. Why do you think I'm talking about it here and not with my buddies....

I personally believe in small constant changes over huge temporary ones. You really think you can do that long term? Don't eat the bread before your steak and don't drink any soda, a few less bears and more wine...stuff like that.

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
I personally believe in small constant changes over huge temporary ones. You really think you can do that long term? Don't eat the bread before your steak and don't drink any soda, a few less bears and more wine...stuff like that.

That's what I'm doing right now for the weight loss deal. For the next four months I dropped all processed sugars, all bread and all booze. Fuck I'm a bore right now! Possibly delusional also hence this thread!!!

4Waters

Reaction score
i-didnt-claw-my-way-up-the-food-chain-to-eat-vegetables-t-shirt.jpg

wash11

Reaction score
I've been pretty open about my weight struggles. Several years ago, after watching "Forks Over Knives", we dove head first into the Vegan diet. We had a home office and Amy was able to spend hours per day preparing meals (which was actually a lot of work as you re-learn food and cooking). We did it 100%, no shortcuts and no expense spared- no cheating either.
We dumped a lot of weight. Too bad we dumped as much muscle as we did fat. No joke, I felt a difference in my brain. Decisions took longer and in general we were in a 24 hour fog. Amy ended up anemic and required several supplements and I ended up on several supplements as well just to feel normal.
We made it 6 months before we started adding in very clean, grass fed and pasture raised meats. We were still eating tons of veggies but the addition of meat made us feel like different people. With time and research, we stopped eating all the soy based garbage that is prevalent in the vegan diet and felt like our old selves again.
I joke that I am a recovering Vegan. It took a year to recover from that decision. Yeah, I know it works for some people but I don't believe it works as well as they think. At the end of 6 months I was still on several meds, high cholesterol, enlarged prostate and some pretty weird skin breakouts (in the end, we figure it was the soy intake).

What finally worked? Just eating real food in amounts that made sense, never skipping a chance at high quality animal fats. If there is a diet that closely matches ours it would be the Westin A Price diet. We found it AFTER we dialed in our own eating.
https://www.westonaprice.org/health...n-a-price-foundation-diet-and-the-paleo-diet/

Living in Prescott, you've got a great farmers market weekly. Get your beef from Leslie at LBell (she's in Skull Valley but hits the farmers market weekly) Grab some bones to make broth, get some clean eggs and whatever veggies are in season.

I'd suggest skipping the Vegan adventure.

Below are before and after pics. The after is me on Bacon, Beef, Pork and good Fruits and Veggies.

EDIT to add, I am no longer on medications of any kind. Cholesterol is in the 160's, prostate normal- all my blood work is perfect every 6 months. We cook exclusively in beef fat (lard known to some), eat plenty of bacon and I eat between 4 and 6 eggs/whites everyday. No processed foods except bacon which our butcher uses 1% of the FDA allowable amount of nitrates. Relatively low carb but not Keto levels. Carbs come from sweet potatoes, beets, veggies and fruits in moderation, organic brown rice etc. Pretty much, a diet that doctors said would kill you as recently as 10 years ago.

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0888.jpg

Last edited:

Spot

Reaction score
wash11 - Nailed it... real life experience. This is his quote "What finally worked? Just eating real food in amounts that made sense, never skipping a chance at high quality animal fats."
Eat real food, meats and vegetables. Buy the best quality food your budget will allow.

wash11

Reaction score
I go at everything with a pretty open mind, always trying to see both sides. I was able to pick apart a lot of the sensationalism in What The Health, easily. The claims are cherry picked and as irresponsible as I've seen (and I've seen ALL the documentaries) which is not uncommon in the Left leaning Vegan world. Without politicizing the thread, these documentaries (even the ones I like such as FOOD INC) are typically a play out of the liberal handbook, tugging at your heart and feelys with very few "whole truths".

https://www.vox.com/science-and-hea...what-the-health-documentary-review-vegan-diet

Or just Google "what the health debunked" or add any title to that search and read the other end of the spectrum and form your own opinions from there.

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
I've been pretty open about my weight struggles. Several years ago, after watching "Forks Over Knives", we dove head first into the Vegan diet. We had a home office and Amy was able to spend hours per day preparing meals (which was actually a lot of work as you re-learn food and cooking). We did it 100%, no shortcuts and no expense spared- no cheating either.
We dumped a lot of weight. Too bad we dumped as much muscle as we did fat. No joke, I felt a difference in my brain. Decisions took longer and in general we were in a 24 hour fog. Amy ended up anemic and required several supplements and I ended up on several supplements as well just to feel normal.
We made it 6 months before we started adding in very clean, grass fed and pasture raised meats. We were still eating tons of veggies but the addition of meat made us feel like different people. With time and research, we stopped eating all the soy based garbage that is prevalent in the vegan diet and felt like our old selves again.
I joke that I am a recovering Vegan. It took a year to recover from that decision. Yeah, I know it works for some people but I don't believe it works as well as they think. At the end of 6 months I was still on several meds, high cholesterol, enlarged prostate and some pretty weird skin breakouts (in the end, we figure it was the soy intake).

What finally worked? Just eating real food in amounts that made sense, never skipping a chance at high quality animal fats. If there is a diet that closely matches ours it would be the Westin A Price diet. We found it AFTER we dialed in our own eating.
https://www.westonaprice.org/health...n-a-price-foundation-diet-and-the-paleo-diet/

Living in Prescott, you've got a great farmers market weekly. Get your beef from Leslie at LBell (she's in Skull Valley but hits the farmers market weekly) Grab some bones to make broth, get some clean eggs and whatever veggies are in season.

Below are before and after pics. The after is me on Bacon, Beef, Pork and good Fruits and Veggies.

View attachment 719532
View attachment 719530

Hey Joel
Good to see you on here also good read. I'm going to look into the Weston Price diet you mentioned. That's why I created this thread to see if anybody had first hand knowledge and if vegan stuff is bullshit. You need to update the off grid thread more often or I may have missed some updates also. We still wanna come out and visit your guys ranch someday soon.

Mark

TCHB

Reaction score
We spent almost a month in Italy and noticed most people in pretty good shape. Yes they do eat all the time! We saw 3 fast food restaurants in 1200 miles and most grocery stores were much smaller than in the US.

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
Your body needs protein, and not from soy. No way to get that being a vegan.
When I shop for our food, I try to stay out of the middle of the grocery store and get most of our food around the perimeter. That's where all of the fresh, non-processed stuff that is better for you is. I started doing this as well as eating better(smaller) portions about a year ago and dropped about 30 pounds and for the most part have kept it off. The occasional trip to So Cal (In-n-Out as soon as we get off the plane) puts a couple pounds back on me, but it comes off as soon as we get back home.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Whenever somebody says something about how Vegan is the way to go or whatever, I always point out our teeth. If we we're supposed to eat all vegetables and fruits and what not, our teeth would be all like our molars which are designed to crush and grind food vs our front teeth we have now (don't know their actual names) which are tapered and designed to tear and rip which is how meat is eaten. Really can't argue that point very well.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

sintax

Reaction score
wash11 - Nailed it... real life experience. This is his quote "What finally worked? Just eating real food in amounts that made sense, never skipping a chance at high quality animal fats."
Eat real food, meats and vegetables. Buy the best quality food your budget will allow.

I think this is the ticket here for sure. I also try to avoid plastics wherever possible

ramos45

Reaction score
Whenever somebody says something about how Vegan is the way to go or whatever, I always point out our teeth. If we we're supposed to eat all vegetables and fruits and what not, our teeth would be all like our molars which are designed to crush and grind food vs our front teeth we have now (don't know their actual names) which are tapered and designed to tear and rip which is how meat is eaten. Really can't argue that point very well.

I have an uncle who swears by the "we have pointy teeth therefore should eat meat" mentality. I ask him do you think our pointy teeth could bite through the hide of that animal you'd like to eat, probably not. When we do eat meat we chew with our molars anyways.

We should all eat what we want regardless of what others say or think and reap the benefits and/or consequences of such decisions. If you want to try a "diet" then go for it and see how it impacts you directly and not just go off of what another's body says. Group think mentality happens in all circles which at times could possibly hinder self enlightenment.

Rant over

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I have an uncle who swears by the "we have pointy teeth therefore should eat meat" mentality. I ask him do you think our pointy teeth could bite through the hide of that animal you'd like to eat, probably not. When we do eat meat we chew with our molars anyways.

We should all eat what we want regardless of what others say or think and reap the benefits and/or consequences of such decisions. If you want to try a "diet" then go for it and see how it impacts you directly and not just go off of what another's body says. Group think mentality happens in all circles which at times could possibly hinder self enlightenment.

Rant over
That is the dumbest response I believe I have ever heard to that statement. Point out 1 herbivore that has sharp or pointed teeth. I'll wait.

JD D05

Reaction score
That is the dumbest response I believe I have ever heard to that statement. Point out 1 herbivore that has sharp or pointed teeth. I'll wait.

Triceratops

"As you go across the slicing face, different layers of the teeth are exposed in different combinations," he said. "Those combinations make it possible for the teeth to self wear and shape into fuller-like structure in triceratops, like a blade with a recessed middle to it."

"Mechanically that's a wonderful thing to do, because it's like fighting knives and swords with a fuller down the side as well," Erickson added. "It cuts down on the friction while they're cutting through something and also helps them release from the plants with each chewing stroke so they can cut very efficiently. So that's what's pretty cool about triceratops."

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Triceratops

"As you go across the slicing face, different layers of the teeth are exposed in different combinations," he said. "Those combinations make it possible for the teeth to self wear and shape into fuller-like structure in triceratops, like a blade with a recessed middle to it."

"Mechanically that's a wonderful thing to do, because it's like fighting knives and swords with a fuller down the side as well," Erickson added. "It cuts down on the friction while they're cutting through something and also helps them release from the plants with each chewing stroke so they can cut very efficiently. So that's what's pretty cool about triceratops."
And look where they are now? Lol!

Ballyhoo

Reaction score

EDIT to add, I am no longer on medications of any kind. Cholesterol is in the 160's, prostate normal- all my blood work is perfect every 6 months. We cook exclusively in beef fat (lard known to some), eat plenty of bacon and I eat between 4 and 6 eggs/whites everyday. No processed foods except bacon which our butcher uses 1% of the FDA allowable amount of nitrates. Relatively low carb but not Keto levels. Carbs come from sweet potatoes, beets, veggies and fruits in moderation, organic brown rice etc. Pretty much, a diet that doctors said would kill you as recently as 10 years ago.

View attachment 719532
View attachment 719530

I have been eating the same way since July 22nd 2018 and have lost 40 pounds and over 4 inches in my waistline. Just had a full physical and all my numbers in my blood work could not have been better. I still have about 10-15 pounds to get to where I want to be.

The things that have really helped:
1. Read food labels
2. Stay away from excess sugar, excess carbs and any processed foods
3. document in an app, all of my daily food intake
4. Portion control
5. Drink about a gallon of water a day, before 3pm. - helps keep you accountable.

wash11

Reaction score

Rant over

We are omnivores. By design our digestive system can efficiently draw nutrients from plants or animals. “Bite through the hide of an animal”? We came equipped with something way more dangerous and efficient than sharp teeth. Thumbs and a brain advanced enough to use tools.

Before modern agriculture there were hunter/gatherers. Not just gatherers. There were no Soy mono-crop fields spanning hundreds of acres to feed vegans year round and veggie gardens were and still are very seasonal.

As intellectually superior as many Vegans claim to be- it seems a weird disconnect to ignore thousands of years of food history. Much easier to buy into these documentaries, hook line and sinker.

I do however agree 100% with everyone doing their own thing. It’s really none of my business how someone finds a healthy life. I’m just pumped when they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramos45

Reaction score

Hey man, it's all good. My dumb response is just that, my response to someone who is thinks 100% what they think is right based on the notion of us having pointy teeth. I think the same when die hard vegans try to spread their agenda as if it's one size fits all. I'm just saying formulate your own dumb response instead of jumping on a wagon without trying shit out.

ramos45

Reaction score
We are omnivores. By design our digestive system can efficiently draw nutrients from plants or animals. “Bite through the hide of an animal”? We came equipped with something way more dangerous and efficient than sharp teeth. Thumbs and a brain advanced enough to use tools.

Before modern agriculture there were hunter/gatherers. Not just gatherers. There were no Soy mono-crop fields spanning hundreds of acres to feed vegans year round and veggie gardens were and still are very seasonal.

As intellectually superior as many Vegans claim to be- it seems a weird disconnect to ignore thousands of years of food history. Much easier to buy into these documentaries, hook line and sinker.

I do however agree 100% with everyone doing their own thing. It’s really none of my business how someone finds a healthy life. I’m just pumped when they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I meant just not as eloquent. I use the "we have thumbs" line almost daily and the fact that we can reason and use tools.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Hey man, it's all good. My dumb response is just that, my response to someone who is thinks 100% what they think is right based on the notion of us having pointy teeth. I think the same when die hard vegans try to spread their agenda as if it's one size fits all. I'm just saying formulate your own dumb response instead of jumping on a wagon without trying shit out.
Well shit.... In that case..... I'm a go try some heroin. I need to formulate my own opinion instead of listening to doctor's, scientists, first hand accounts, and common sense.

ramos45

Reaction score
Well shit.... In that case..... I'm a go try some heroin. I need to formulate my own opinion instead of listening to doctor's, scientists, first hand accounts, and common sense.

How about try jumping out of an airplane without a parachute to see first hand what happens. C'mon man, trying another diet to see how it affects YOU is far from the shit you just posted.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
How about try jumping out of an airplane without a parachute to see first hand what happens. C'mon man, trying another diet to see how it affects YOU is far from the shit you just posted.
I agree about trying different diets to a point. Veganism is far beyond a diet. It's a lifestyle and a way of life.

Life Wash11 said, if someone were to truly educate themselves on particular diets they'd find how much BS veganism is. Don't need to try it to see that. Hence my response.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I'm going semi-keto, no sugars and trying to keep carbs at a minimum. I've been on it for 2-1/2 weeks and have lost 15 lbs, but now the weight loss is slowing down, but it's still coming off. I need to work on my portion control and fight my hunger urges. I do miss a sandwich from Jersey Mike's, pizza, spaghetti, and cookies or dessert after dinner, but as long as I continue to lose weight and once I get down to my target weight I may slip in a cookie or two, and hopefully I'll get that portion control dialed in.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
I am very healthy. I eat well, work out a lot. Eat lots of greens and veggies, fruit, cut out fast food. Don't eat a ton of meat but if you do eat it, buy and eat good meat. Don't by pre prepped boxed shit found in the frozen section. Don't eat too much and be super active. Thats it. Moderation is key.

Can you eat fast food? Sure, just don't eat it every day.

Vegans take more sick days. I think it's just because they are pussies not because of what they eat. :D This study was released recently. Truly though the problem is with many vegans is they still eat unhealthy like they did when they ate meat. The eat processed shit. Just because there is no animal meat in it doesn't mean its good for you.
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/h...s/news-story/334984664af72305cc918d7f24c3b5a0

There was a comparison of the most popular vegan meat vs real organic ground beef. The vegan substitute have preservatives, more salt and just shittier for you. You can be a vegan and be healthy. You can eat meat and be healthy, but you just have to be aware what is going in to your system.

HighRoller

Mr. All or Nothing
Reaction score
I'm going semi-keto, no sugars and trying to keep carbs at a minimum. I've been on it for 2-1/2 weeks and have lost 15 lbs, but now the weight loss is slowing down, but it's still coming off. I need to work on my portion control and fight my hunger urges. I do miss a sandwich from Jersey Mike's, pizza, spaghetti, and cookies or dessert after dinner, but as long as I continue to lose weight and once I get down to my target weight I may slip in a cookie or two, and hopefully I'll get that portion control dialed in.

I think before anyone goes into food specifics, they should learn how human digestion works. Specifically, how the body stores and uses glucose and what role insulin plays in your overall fatness level.

Diets don't work permanently because they address the EFFECT, not the CAUSE.

The answer is simple. Eat all of your meals daliy in 12 hours or less. You pick the start time. You will not starve. Hunger is a trained response, not a sign that you are starving. I just started time restricted eating and before the end of the 2nd week I was regularly going 16-20 hours without eating several times per week. (I did it overnight) Whenever your body is not eating it goes into repair mode. And the long period also allows your body to completely burn what you ate PLUS everything stored in your liver. After that...fat burnage occurs. There is no calorie restriction necessary. Eat as much as you want within that period. I dare you to try and max out on calories...it will never happen because your window cuts out either morning coffee or dessert at night! Or both.

Don't take my word for it. Here's my study material:
Google - Fasting Physiology
Dr Rhonda Patrick
Dr Satchin Panda
Dr Jason Fung
Books: The Obesity Code
The Circadian Code
Tons of studies tons of data.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Here is the diet I try to stay on.
Don't eat anything that comes out of a box, a bag, or a window.
I also do the 12-hour window. Lot less stomach problems

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
I like my bitches to eat meat....cuz if she's vegan...she ain't suckin that dick...and if she ain't suckin that dick....she ain't getting that protein shot either...and bitch is gonna be too sick all the time to make sammiches. Find a chick that can put down a good steak...and you know she'll take the D. That's alls I gotsta say about dat.....you're welcome for the advice.....mic drop. :D

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I like my bitches to eat meat....cuz if she's vegan...she ain't suckin that dick...and if she ain't suckin that dick....she ain't getting that protein shot either...and bitch is gonna be too sick all the time to make sammiches. Find a chick that can put down a good steak...and you know she'll take the D. That's alls I gotsta say about dat.....you're welcome for the advice.....mic drop. :D

It’s total bullshit that I can only like this post once.

For what it’s worth I hit the like but on your post over a thousand times lol

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

View attachment 719532
View attachment 719530

I have told you a 100 times now.. Wanna get rich? I got the answer..

Real Food / Real Marketing - sensible portions with real world results.. I'll whack up the millions with you when you are ready. "Beyond Organic" except include the actual diet plan and an exercise plan and we are gonna be lighting 100.00 bills on fire to light the cigars.

RD

JD D05

Reaction score
So a friend of ours told us we should watch "what the health" on Netflix. Last night we finally watched it. Wow! Very interesting and makes a lot of sense. On the other hand it could me another mellinial left wing deal also. It's hard to decipher what's what. I was telling my wife maybe we should try this whole vegan thing for a month or so and see how we feel. Thinking right now would be a great time while doing the RDP weight loss challenge. This would be a HUGE change from my eating habits. I would love to get off my daily heartburn pill that I have been on for over 20 years now. What's some of your all thoughts on this? Do we have any Vegans on here?

You inspired me...
20190117_111610.jpg

Groper

Reaction score

My ex-wife :eek:

Edited: I think I'll have a Double at In-n-Out today ;)
Thanks

Floatin'

Lurker Extraordinaire
Reaction score
If you are so inclined. Layne Norton does a good job of fact checking the film.