WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What the hell happened to Lavey boats?

lenmann

Reaction score
So, I am pinging through the “Let’s see those boats“ thread and there re some really cool Lavey boats out there. What the hell happened to these guys? It wasnt that long ago that you could still order a new one up.

Every builder on the planet today has multi-year back logs and can get pretty much any price they want for new boat. Lavey had a good if not great set of offerings and good if not great build quality. That plus the RPM molds! What happened?

Rotten deal

Reaction score
For one I think they needed a newer deck boat design. That’s what everyone seems to want . Unless your looking for big outboard cats and they don’t have that either.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
For one I think they needed a newer deck boat design. That’s what everyone seems to want . Unless your looking for big outboard cats and they don’t have that either.
Right, but everyone is booked on new builds for years. Seems like possibly some bad money management or some sort of legal issue.

• Wow
Reactions: DWC

petie6464

Reaction score
The crash really hurt boat mfg. as everyone knows, Many were able to pull through and rebuild others suffered more. Their bigger V bottom no one wanted combined with unlucky timing, outdated other models and a shrinking customer base was a hard place to crawl out of, It's pretty easy to see what happened.

There are several smaller boat companies that have a great product but can't seen to get the boats out, probably they can't get anyone to work yet alone anyone with the skills to build them. While others have kept current with new models and or bought up names to monopolize a very small market.

I see new players coming in and although you have to give them credit for the effort their efforts won't take them far.

RVR2SNO

Reaction score
@lavey jr

Loved mine. Would buy it back tomorrow!
37C58879-05B0-4BFC-BCAD-E5952E51FA34.jpeg

NicPaus

Reaction score
Right, but everyone is booked on new builds for years. Seems like possibly some bad money management or some sort of legal issue.
Not Cobra or Shockwave. Heard August for both if you order now.

Seems the Cats with twin outboards, pontoons and Howard's are the biggest sellers currently.

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
I heard they will remain open but are downsizing and focusing on maintenance or something like that there was a big post on it not to long ago. They do build a quality boat with tons of happy owners I hope they make a comeback.

the510

Reaction score
Glad to hear they are still around. They make nice boats.

WildWilly

Reaction score
I had someone tell me last week RPM is in the process of buying them out, no idea of the legitmacy but it did make me think about recentl relationship they had, Lavey closing down the shop etc...who knows

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I had someone tell me last week RPM is in the process of buying them out, no idea of the legitmacy but it did make me think about recentl relationship they had, Lavey closing down the shop etc...who knows
I heard that was discussed and last I heard Joe had decided to go a different direction.

Had another guy call me asking prices to spray one, as he was considering buying the molds from Joe.
Last I heard that guy had decided to go a different direction as well. 🤷‍♂️

ChrisCat

Reaction score
Their problem could be that they can't buy the resins to build the boats. Right now if you hadn't ordered all your vinylestor resins months ago you're not getting it. There is very little being manufactured due to a lack of the chemicals needed to make it. A key chemical needed was only manufactured by two companies in the world. one in Taiwan caught on fire. they provided 40% of the worlds needs. The other in Texas was damaged when they had the freeze. The pipes froze and burst. In Florida there are major boat builders that are laying off or closing down for months.

Here in Stuart, Fl there are a lot of boat builders. I can't start a new mold because a lack of resin and tooling gelcoat. There is also a shortage of stainless steel. I've heard there are boats sitting at the builders that cannot be shipped due to a lack of cleats, I've been told it'll be months before there is a steady supply or resin.

They can't build boats if they don't have materials, even if they have contracts. Overhead can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars a month depending upon the size and number of employees. You can eat up a million dollars in no time. Cost of materials have skyrocketed also. Gloves went from $8 a box to 18. I've been quoted $40. They run out of XL all the time. Actetone went from $450 a drum 6 months ago to $900. They won't even quote me a resin cost or take an order for it. If you're thinking of ordering a boat, do it now because its going to get very expensive.

cb5505

Reaction score
Not Cobra or Shockwave. Heard August for both if you order now.

Seems the Cats with twin outboards, pontoons and Howard's are the biggest sellers currently.

cobra I know is pretty slammed. I ordered my new boat in august and I should be taking delivery hopefully in a couple weeks.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Their problem could be that they can't buy the resins to build the boats. Right now if you hadn't ordered all your vinylestor resins months ago you're not getting it. There is very little being manufactured due to a lack of the chemicals needed to make it. A key chemical needed was only manufactured by two companies in the world. one in Taiwan caught on fire. they provided 40% of the worlds needs. The other in Texas was damaged when they had the freeze. The pipes froze and burst. In Florida there are major boat builders that are laying off or closing down for months.

Here in Stuart, Fl there are a lot of boat builders. I can't start a new mold because a lack of resin and tooling gelcoat. There is also a shortage of stainless steel. I've heard there are boats sitting at the builders that cannot be shipped due to a lack of cleats, I've been told it'll be months before there is a steady supply or resin.

They can't build boats if they don't have materials, even if they have contracts. Overhead can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars a month depending upon the size and number of employees. You can eat up a million dollars in no time. Cost of materials have skyrocketed also. Gloves went from $8 a box to 18. I've been quoted $40. They run out of XL all the time. Actetone went from $450 a drum 6 months ago to $900. They won't even quote me a resin cost or take an order for it. If you're thinking of ordering a boat, do it now because its going to get very expensive.
Suppliers have told me the flow of resin should be back up by the end of the month.

boatnam2

Reaction score
My guess is there is usually a money man involved somehow, maybe that went a different direction.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
cobra I know is pretty slammed. I ordered my new boat in august and I should be taking delivery hopefully in a couple weeks.
Which one is yours? I’ve been watching the red 280

cb5505

Reaction score
Mine is the all red 280 python Not the 280 venom they just got out of the mold with the walk through. The interior is in and I should be taking delivery around may 12. I wasn't able to get down there this week to get current pics because of work.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Mine is the all red 280 python Not the 280 venom they just got out of the mold with the walk through. The interior is in and I should be taking delivery around may 12. I wasn't able to get down there this week to get current pics because of work.
Tell Dylan, jim from echo said hi.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Tell Dylan, jim from echo said hi.
He was out last weekend. That's who I was talking to about lead times.
Was anchored at the sandbar next to a guy that just took delivery of his new Shockwave Tremor. It's the best looking Tremor I have seen.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Congrats! I need to swing by the shop and talk to the guys. Been too busy lately.