WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What the hell is happening with fuel prices in Calif?

welldigger00

Reaction score
Let me tell you how the fuel prices are effecting me, and how it will then get passed to you. In the last week or two, the shippers are holding back from moving their freight because of fuel prices. So, there is way more trucks available than loads to move. So, the shippers then capitalize on this fact, and cut the rate per mile of their loads. I am parking my truck and the end of my day today until it improves. For instance, a few weeks back I could run an excavator up to salt lake from Long Beach, weighing in around 110k lbs total, at about 3.8 to 4.3 miles to the gallon, and the load would pay around $4500-$5000. Fuel would be around $1500 round trip. That same load this week is paying $1800. I ain’t running for fuel. Crazy thing is truckers are in a panic right now, and taking these loads. If it don’t improve soon, things will grind to a halt. Shit is gonna get way worse soon fellas.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Serious question . Is L.A. the only filming location in the United States? Like you pointed out some hands on carers are only available in certain areas . For me to work I had to pick one of the areas in the country where my work was available. Las Vegas was not first on the list but we got out and my wife can still go visit family .

Really the only places to work outside of LA are New York, Atlanta and now Vegas. But LA is still the place with the most work and the highest rates. Vegas and Atlanta are on the rise tho. I know lots of guys that fly out to Atlanta for weeks at a time to work on shows. There are so many new shows being shot in Vegas, but still the guys from Vegas all come to LA to work. Same with Nashville, they come to LA where the money is. There's just not that much going on in other areas.

I have a good friend that works in Hawaii, he's totally hooked up with the studios out there, he does set construction. He just bought a condo on the water and a new boat right out front. Takes his boat out to surf everyday and to happy hour, Costco, pretty nice set-up..

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So in my situation a Local 80 (Grip) since 1997 and a SAG (Stunt) since 1996.
So all of my Grip work revolves around L.A.
The Stunt work has taken me around the world..currently in Atlanta (been here since July and be here until February).
Atlanta in the last 10 years has become the runner up to L.A. as far production volume. It’s all IASTE unions but I’d have to do some sort of transfer/withdrawl from one to the other(not sure exactly how it works) to the Atlanta local. I’m sure there is a difference in pay.
Ultimately my dad retired to Pismo/Nipomo(he’s about to be 83) and he’s not going anywhere until he passes. So we will be around for whatever he may need as well as my wife’s dad.

20221005_183126.jpg

Had dinner here just last week. Beautiful aera. 👍🏼

farmo83

Reaction score
So in my situation a Local 80 (Grip) since 1997 and a SAG (Stunt) since 1996.
So all of my Grip work revolves around L.A.
The Stunt work has taken me around the world..currently in Atlanta (been here since July and be here until February).
Atlanta in the last 10 years has become the runner up to L.A. as far production volume. It’s all IASTE unions but I’d have to do some sort of transfer/withdrawl from one to the other(not sure exactly how it works) to the Atlanta local. I’m sure there is a difference in pay.
Ultimately my dad retired to Pismo/Nipomo(he’s about to be 83) and he’s not going anywhere until he passes. So we will be around for whatever he may need as well as my wife’s dad.

By no means am I trying to side-track things but what does a grip do ?

I've always wondered. I've seen them on the credits for years and I have it my head all they do is hold a camera?

DMF

Reaction score
I realize I am not the norm here. I am 50 years old and have lived in So Cal 49 of those years. The beach is not for everyone. I have been to the beach 3-4 times in the last 35 years. I would much rather be in desert, river / lake, or mountains. No disrespect at all to those that love the beach and always throw it out there when others are talking about leaving So Cal. Not everyone cares for the beach!

4Waters

Reaction score

I've always wondered. I've seen them on the credits for years and I have it my head all they do is hold a camera?
Grips are basically movers, drivers show up with a truck full of props, camera tracks, plants fake structures like rocks..... they move them to and from the set

RichL

Reaction score
Not So Cal but up another .30 per gallon this morning for a total of $1.00 per gal in the last 2 weeks for diesel. Now at 5.79

FJB

Dunerking

Reaction score

Grips are camera/lighting support. We are hired by the Director of Photography (DP) which under that person splits off to the Key Grip and Head Gaffer/Electrician. We rig backing tracks for different colored rags(blue /green screens,solid black or white and as well as the vinyl backings) then we hang/rig rock n roll truss or pipe for the electricians to hang lights on so the rags or backings can be lit. We also push camera Dollie’s along with dolly track. After the lights are up and working we cut/shape the light as the DP wants. There are more to it…but that’s the basics.
What 4waters described is more of a set labor. We don’t move greens as there is a greens person for that task. And moving props is handles by props department,as well as set decorations (furniture,wall dressings etc) is handled by the Set Dec department.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I realize I am not the norm here. I am 50 years old and have lived in So Cal 49 of those years. The beach is not for everyone. I have been to the beach 3-4 times in the last 35 years. I would much rather be in desert, river / lake, or mountains. No disrespect at all to those that love the beach and always throw it out there when others are talking about leaving So Cal. Not everyone cares for the beach!

This is what I like best about CA. We pretty much have all of that at any ol time.

Looking forward to exploring more of Death Valley this winter. 👍🏼

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Ouch. that going to straighten out the amount of gas to ev’s on the road.
I drove past the Chevron at Vidal junction yesterday. The sign outside the chevron with their prices was damaged/ not functioning. I was curious if they did that themselves so they wouldn’t have to advertise $10/gallon gas until you walked in the store or got up to the pump.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I drove past the Chevron at Vidal junction yesterday. The sign outside the chevron with their prices was damaged/ not functioning. I was curious if they did that themselves so they wouldn’t have to advertise $10/gallon gas until you walked in the store or got up to the pump.

Appears to not be there...yet.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Appears to not be there...yet.
I like how the new standard for diesel is to price match it to premium instead of regular. Sick bastards.