WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What to do? Not this season but next.

Albert

Reaction score
Whats up people been a long time since I have been on here to post . Mostly trolling and druelling over some of these bad ass boats. When thru some shit for 2 years and Im back to a semi normal self. Anyways enough of the drama. I have a 1999 24 Laveycraft. This was suppose to be a 2 season boat then boat prices went ape shit. Should I redo the interior and switch out the engine to a 502 ? Or wait sell it and get something that already has a bigger engine . Will I add value by putting in a 502 currently has 454 7.4 EFI with 600 hrs. Any advice would be appreciated thanks!

boatnam2

Reaction score
What did you pay for it? if your happy dropping 35k come winter so boat has new motor and interior and hang on to it is one option. Not doing anything selling at high prices along with the 35k you saved not doing work and the money from the boat, you should be in the 70k+ market, what does that look like.

Icky

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, we'll different boat same motor and same hours.

Water Romper

Reaction score
If I were you, leave well enough alone (for now) assuming the interior is ok and the motor still runs and is solid. This post pandemic economy has everyone going crazy and shops can just name their price as supply and demand drive the cost. Again, assuming there actually is really nothing wrong with your boat, a 24 Levy should still be a fun good looking summer water toy. Believe me, folks in the channel really don't care if your interior isn't pristine or you don't have the latest and newest horse power. Just have fun, keep the cash in the bank.

f12517

Reaction score
I'd run in for the season and sell it before the end of the season and wait for the market to correct. Could mean you sit out a season next year. I don't think you'll get a good ROI on dropping a 502 and interior into that boat when the market swings back down

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
I think it depends on what boat you want next. Lavey 24 is a bad ass boat. You could probably sell it now for all of the money. But replacing it with anything bigger/better is going to be high 5 figures. You could start booking appointments now for the off-season, and upgrade the 454, and redo the interior, but you’re probably looking at 20-30k pretty easily depending on who does the work. If you want big power, and have to add steering and drive work, that price could easily double.

Edit: and who knows when the market “correction” is actually going to occur. We have been waiting for a few years now- could easily be a few more. And it’s unlikely we see prices anywhere near the abyss in the early 2010s.