WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What to do with idle cash right now?

dezrtracer

Reaction score
I put all my money on hookers and blow , the rest I squandered ......

Orange Juice

Reaction score
Let me get hookers and blow out of the way. :)

Im hesitant to do anything except sit on my hands for the next 6 to maybe 12 months but don’t want to earn zero. I’m letting my hard money loans pay off as they all come due over the next 1-8 months.

I was thinking of laddering T bills?
3 month is .67
6 month is 1.1
12 month is 1.77

Any other super safe ideas?
Pfizer pays a nice dividend. 😉

Havasu Catman

Reaction score
yeah, appear to be long term ( 30 years) with penalty for early withdrawal and max investment of $10k
It can be 30 years if you want to leave it that long. It is a 1 year minimum. Even if you take all the money out after a year and take the 3 month interest penalty it still pays 5+ percent. 10,000 per person per year. Interest cant go negative, you can't loose principle. Tough to beat in my opinion. Wife and I bought in Dec last year and again in Jan. Interest adjusts every 6 months according to inflation. I think the rate will go higher than 7 in May.

2Driver

Reaction score
I moved all of ours into the bond fund in our different 401k's in the beginning of January. I have earned 1.75% in one and 1.89% in the other. Yes I know I am losing money with inflation, but I think it would be worse in the near future.

Thanks. As a heads up, hopefully your bond fund is managed by flipping really short term bonds/paper as the absolute last place you want to be at the beginning of an interest rate cycle is in mid to long term bonds.

Thats why my initial thought was 6-12 month paper paying 1.8%… hide out while rate rise and do their damage. Otherwise, bond principals will take a huge hit as no one will want longer term bonds paying sub 2% if short term stuff is paying 3% and long term stuff is paying 6%+ which is where we are heading.

530RL

Reaction score
Thanks. As a heads up, hopefully your bond fund is managed by flipping really short term bonds/paper as the absolute last place you want to be at the beginning of an interest rate cycle is in mid to long term bonds.

Thats why my initial thought was 6-12 month paper paying 1.8%… hide out while rate rise and do their damage. Otherwise, bond principals will take a huge hit as no one will want longer term bonds paying sub 2% if short term stuff is paying 3% and long term stuff is paying 6%+ which is where we are heading.
With plenty of demand for 3 - 6 month, 20 percent down, 12% hard money loans in metro Phoenix, a market you are familiar with, I’m Interested why you find that market worth exiting?

badgas

Reaction score
Buy Some furniture ?

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I think street rods,... always been a safe bet if you buy right... cash is king,... there always a demand for it... if the market crashes... then you buy..when it comes back..... then you sell...RE is too big of a gamble and you have monthly costs when it sits... even if you pay cash when you buy... we're a market when you can buy a new boat and sell it the next week for more.... that won't last long....paying too much for a home..... well... history repeats it's self...

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Democrat politicians are buying SQQQ stock….it a stock betting that the market will decline. I’ve already done pretty good with it, but pulled out. Going to jump back in this week.

Was thinking of that lately too. Was going to move my SPXL position to it.

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
What about a mortgage REIT they've got beat up a little already this year. you can roll the dice and chase a 10% yield.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score

My AT&T is doing great with their Warner spin off. Also pays a good dividend.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
All my extra cash is going into metals (ie: Brass & Lead) 😄

Did anyone mention Hookers and Blow?
I haven’t looked in a while but next time primers are down below 4 cents, I’m going to stock up on them. They seem to have the biggest bump when stupid shit happens, SPP Winchester or CCI seem the most liquid.

I was buying win SPP at 3 cents right at the beginning of covid. I only bought 5k because I don’t load much SPP stuff (9mm is for people who pee sitting down) and I had 4K on hand…. I think they are still selling for $500/5k and were upwards of $750 for a sleeve at the peak. …. That I paid $160 for 6 months earlier.

Powders like varget, H355, and several others will double or better but nothing preforms like primers Especially SPP

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
JMNTBHO but T is shit (Just my Never To Be Humble Opinion) I would dump that crap

Even with a P&E > 200, I think TSLA still has plenty of room if you like to gamble gamble. I got in at 400 so I’m just watching the house’s money at this point (at $400 I was wayyyyyyy overpaying but it still preforms) Musk has this psycho cult fallowing that refuses to let TSLA get caught by reality

3 year chart for T
View attachment 1105562

Sometimes it is just diversified with dividends.

This is one small scoop in my portfolio. Its about the OVERALL portfolio

My guy has almost 40 years experience FYI. He has made me a lot of money over the years. I used to handle things myself and it was always boom or bust.

I am in it now to protect principal and live of my portfolio as I am retired.

Diff strokes for diff folks

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
I dated a girl who worked for T and she had 50% of her 401k in their stock. I made her reduce it to 30% and told her to reduce it to 10 when the stock went back up above 35. Haha that never happened so she probably will be working until she is 75

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I dated a girl who worked for T and she had 50% of her 401k in their stock. I made her reduce it to 30% and told her to reduce it to 10 when the stock went back up above 35. Haha that never happened so she probably will be working until she is 75
Well I am ex AT&T and I am not working anymore.

She wasnt diversified at all. She probably was in the ESOP I would assume? I was when I was there.

Long term implies more diversification. Short term is usually more risk of course.

You gave her good advise IMO.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Ive had 4 different brokers. Each one was awesome in telling me about what just happened.
:)
Lol. I know you like to do things yourself. You have done well.

Just for the record to all. I am not pro AT&T. I even got rid of DTV when T bought them as I knew svc was going to suffer.

Its just one stock across the portfolio. For every stock of T I own I just received .25 of a share of the Warner stock. Plus they have proven long term payout dividends. Your risk (assuming you have done a risk analysis) is probably different than mine.

Whatever the case…good luck

2Driver

Reaction score
Lol. I know you like to do things yourself. You have done well.

Just for the record to all. I am not pro AT&T. I even got rid of DTV when T bought them as I knew svc was going to suffer.

Its just one stock across the portfolio. For every stock of T I own I just received .25 of a share of the Warner stock. Plus they have proven long term payout dividends. Your risk (assuming you have done a risk analysis) is probably different than mine.

Whatever the case…good luck

I bought a slug of T 4 years ago and still have it. LOL quite a barn find it was.

Hopefully the Spin off with Warner will get me back to par which is $31

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
1649699015437.jpeg

Ladsm

Reaction score
I may grab $10K of Amazon right after it splits and let it ride back up. They are in a Get lean mode and get post-covid production rates back up so they can get the profits back up.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I bought a slug of T 4 years ago and still have it. LOL quite a barn find it was.

Hopefully the Spin off with Warner will get me back to par which is $31
Ok. So after the spin off you should be pretty close to even on your T plus you get the dividends.

Sounds better doesnt it?

Or you can chase crypto I guess. Lol

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Ok. So after the spin off you should be pretty close to even on your T plus you get the dividends.

Sounds better doesnt it?

Or you can chase crypto I guess. Lol

Under $20 is close to even at $31?

foxfam312

Let it Develop
Reaction score
I'am in the same situation right now, we live here in Temecula area right now will be here for another year or so, my wife and I have been putting a lot of thought about this, and we have decided to put the money into a property up near Coeur d'Alene ID, I will be honest, I'am concerned about the future water problems here in the southwest part of the United States, I feel it's going to get real ugly, we are about 4 to 5 months out before the purchase, so really starting to do our leg work now.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Ive had 4 different brokers. Each one was awesome in telling me about what just happened.
When you find a reliable psychic fortune teller let me know and I will kidnap them myself.
Lol
I hear they hang with the leprechaun's.

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
If you owned T for the past 4 years you have made somewhere around $10. Per share in div payments.

So in fact your might even be up on T. Lol. I doubt very seriously it is down 10. Over the past 4 years. Plus you now have the other .25% share of the Warner stock for every T stock.

I think it puts T in a position where their stock price might start a slow up trend.

I didnt check the stock price over the last 4 years by the way. Just a guess

Edit…might be only 8$ in div.

Last edited:

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
If you owned T for the past 4 years you have made somewhere around $10. Per share in div payments.

So in fact your might even be up on T. Lol. I doubt very seriously it is down 10. Over the past 4 years. Plus you now have the other .25% share of the Warner stock for every T stock.

I think it puts T in a position where their stock price might start a slow up trend.

LOF Psaki will do some quick research and post up the results.
Unless you're right... ;) :D

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

No PPP funds just decades of subsidies :rolleyes: 😂

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score

Edit…might be only 8$ in div.
I think you are still slightly underwater depending on the exact timing and dates you use to value the stock. It doesn't matter what you have lost big time is opportunity cost from the returns you would have got if you invested in something with a better return.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I think you are still slightly underwater depending on the exact timing and dates you use to value the stock. It doesn't matter what you have lost big time is opportunity cost from the returns you would have got if you invested in something with a better return.
Every situation is different of course.

For me....retired and just looking for a lot less risk, cash flow and stay out of principal. All self funded.

I think I have done pretty well with the set up I have had for 30+ years in the market.

Again....this is just one tiny tiny portion for me. Not even a blip but its all about %.

Without some type of strategy and risk analysis you might as well go the black or red deal

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

This. The DOW was at 24,4XX 4 years ago, 23,3XX 2 years ago, closed at 34,200 today.