WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What to expect from a turbo 400

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I finally found a Turbo 400 w/reverse valve body,
I have never had one of these in a boat.
What can I expect from the 400, this is kinda what I thought, my be there is more.
This would be for a 20.5 Campbell w/ 454 Bravo, 380hp, Champion v-drive 15 over

low first gear to idle by the docking area, and to idle up to 2nd for Wake boarding, Tubing,Surfing, Skiing.
And 3rd gear for high speeds.
The Reverse is the same as any other transmission?
Park is very nice to have to Remove and install propellers and for safety when someone is in the water,(skier ,boarder,tuber, surfer) the prop is locked up.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Thats what I thought
I sure wish I had this on my AquaCraft
but it was fun without it

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Yea I would imagine any park mechanism would be removed. It would make a hell of a noise going into park if the prop is spinning or under a load at all.

BamBam

Reaction score
My boat has a TH400. I use 1st around docks, the reverse pattern makes the reverse to 1st changes quick. I also have park which is nice if you are going to run the boat on the trailer for any reason as it will keep the prop shaft from spinning and destroying your strut bearings. It can also aid in changing props.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
A TH400, with a 2.48 first gear (virtually useless) and a 1.48 second gear (slow speed, possibly wake sports)

Top gear is 1:1 (without torque converter), just like a direct drive.

Reverse (Read: Not Forward) is nearly useless, with a 2.08:1 ratio. A direct drive (1:1) reverse really only keeps ya from hitting the dock, and that's with experience. With a 2:1 reverse, just liberally apply throttle to get it to react.

So ya end up with 3 gears:
Slow Forward,
Fast Forward, and
Not Forward.

I hope it exceeds your expectations.
That's all I got.

Dan'l

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Now I know what to expect from This turbo 400,
And I will know exactly it's pro's and con's when the old Campbell is in the water.
The First gear might be useful with the Champion 15 over V-drive
The 400 fits like a glove, no drive shaft modifications.
Any body want to buy a Velvet Drive 10-18-014??

bocco

Reaction score
Set up your linkage with some kind of stop to prevent going into park. I had a small aluminum stop that I rigged up bolted to the trans pan bolts. I could unbolt it to put it in park and run on the trailer. Reverse is a low gear but will work fine if you work the gas pedal a little. I always just ran 2nd and 3rd gear.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Pretty much as everybody has said on here already. If you like to shift it, it may allow you to put a little more leg in the prop. You'll have to run it to figure it out though, obviously. One thing with a th400, it has an electric kickdown. So if you find yourself coming around a lot, new skiers etc. You can just rig up a downshift button, and not have to grab the shifter.

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
I'd run the velvet drive if you already have it along with the mounts and bellhousing. They can hold up to quite a bit of power and are reliable.

500bbc

Reaction score
T-400 in the red boat, glide in the cruiser.
T has park, very handy for reasons mentioned plus the prop isn't spinning at idle as the glide with no park does.
Prop spins just enough to move the boat when in neutral, I can grab the torque tube and stop it. It's a pain when on the hook and you're running though.

It does make a hell of a noise when you your coasting and accidently shift into park, you'll only do it once though.:eek:

At least that's what my "friend" says.:D

Molassesmaker

Reaction score
i recently took park out of my 400 and constantly kick myself in the ass every time i have to disconnect the propshaft to fire it up on the trailer.

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
Nice was kind of wondering my my prop would keep spinning a little bit with my glide at idle. Who do you guys reccomend locally to go through one? Mine worked fine when I pulled it but would still like to have it checked out before dropping it back in.

500bbc

Reaction score
i recently took park out of my 400 and constantly kick myself in the ass every time i have to disconnect the propshaft to fire it up on the trailer.
I put a long screwdriver through the torque tube U joint ,stringer to stringer, on the glide if I have to start it on the trailer. Just make damn sure it's not in gear!

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Youfuckindonot. Really?

I put a long screwdriver through the torque tube U joint ,stringer to stringer, on the glide if I have to start it on the trailer. Just make damn sure it's not in gear!

Rjt01

Reaction score
I have the T400 and have a disconnect on the V-Drive , very handy lol

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Well it's a tie 3 say they have park, 3 say they do not have park and one uses a large screw driver in the u-joint.
my t400 has no park, but i'm going to put one in.
My shifter has a spring and a lever set up to keep it from going in to reverse and park without pulling the release.
Now if it would stop raining up here north I could install the engine and t400.
It is what it is

1Racerx

Reaction score
No Park..everything else tho...
boat trans...jpg

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Does the fluid level get checked on this T400 the same as a vehicle or would they get checked different?
With no Torq converter, does it still check level running in Neutral ?
Answered my own question: Check the fluid the same as a vehicle, Neutral or park on the water.

Last edited:

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Took the Campbell out to the lake and found a use for first Gear in the T400.
Trolling for kokanee fish, it's a great speed for those Fish.

BamBam

Reaction score
What ratio is in your v-drive and how much prop pitch? If you're not running much overdrive or a big prop 1st gear will not be used often. I sue it to dock and if I actually want to not make a wake in the no-wake zone.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
The Ratio in the Champion V-drive is 15 over, and the prop is 13-14
1st gear will work out great for kokanee fishing, it would be a blast idling around other fishing boats at 1000-1500 rpms, LOL
1000-1500 rpms should push it about 1-2 mph, I can't wait to see the look on those serious fishermen with all the fancy Stuff.
2nd gear was just right for a no wake zone, 14 pitch is not much