WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What to look at Barn find

Tahoe540

Reaction score
I am going to look at a sanger hydro v-drive that has been sitting for 20 years under a tarp. I have never had a v-drive and hoping someone can tell me what to look for. The main reason I am interested is this boat seems to have some history and ran a quad turbo motor back in the mid to late 80's and is supposed to be a record holder. The motor has been sitting as well so I am looking to put it back together. Looking for a cool project just don't want to buy a hull that is no good.

69hondo

Reaction score
Take a good look at the stringers and floor. Look for any delamination. Thats where you can end up spending a lot of money and time fixing.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
No different than any other sled. look for stress cracks around the sponsons, strut, steering. Delam in the transom and stringers.

Other than that, you are buying a project, this ain't your first rodeo. :)

Other than an oil, fuel cleanup and valvespring change, the motor should be plenty fine if it ran when it was put away.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
AsAsaid all of the obvious stress cracks etcetera. Left rear stringer at the motor mount and strut braces where it meets the transom for cracking. Been sitting on the trailer for 20 years, pull the prop shaft out of the coupler see how much misalignment there is in the hull. No big deal just reset the strut.
Love Sanger hydros, is it a 5 rib?

Last edited:

Tahoe540

Reaction score
I said all of the obvious stress cracks etcetera. Left rear stringer at the motor mount and strut braces where it meets the transom for cracking. Been sitting on the trailer for 20 years, pull the prop shaft out of the coupler see how much misalignment there is in the hull. No big deal just reset the strut.
Love Sanger hydros, is it a 5 rib?
I don't know if it is a 5 rib. I am going to look at it on Sunday. The guy got it from his deceased uncle and really doesn't know a lot about it. It looks really cool with the quad turbo setup and claims it went 7.21 @ 161mph at redbluff back in the late 80's.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
That would be a unique boat with four turbos and should be easy enough to find history on.
Pics!

Tahoe540

Reaction score
quadturbo.jpg

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
If you get that boat running again, and it's your first v drive I hope you have an idea of you're in for. :D