WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What trickle chargers are you guys using for the river house?

ChrisV

Reaction score
Hey guys,

As the title states. What chargers are you guys using? Garage gets pretty damn hot so I'm worried about battery melting or shit blowing up. Do you guys leave it plugged in all the time or is it set on a timer? Dual battery preferred. Thanks!

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I have a dual bank Minnkota, goes to a max of 5 amps then shuts off and trickles. If you are really worried, a simple pair of $20 battery tender Jrs will do the job. They only output max .75 amp. 0 chance of cooking anything with those.

I leave mine plugged in all the time I am not there.

ChrisV

Reaction score
I bought this but felt like it was getting super hot so I took it home.
E2A10277-4EFE-4748-A4FA-F6037DD11D97.jpeg

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
That would have been what many people recommend. that is only a 2 amp max charge per bank I believe.

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
I have a 4 pot Battery Tender that I charge my 3 batteries with. It is on a timer 3 hours a day, 10pm-1am.

MCnParker

Reaction score
We have always used battery tenders never had an issue. What type of batteries are you charging? We used good old deep cycle marine batteries, nothing fancy and they last about 5 years. I do check them every time we are there to make sure they are not low and add distilled water probably 2 times a year to keep them at the proper levels.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I have a dozen optimate 6's that cover every battery or battery bank size from 4AH-240AH.

I prefer the brand and chargers to my also excellent CTEK product.

I had an early problem with NOCO, but hear they are better.

I also trust the Deltran battery tender product.

Last edited:

ChrisV

Reaction score
We have always used battery tenders never had an issue. What type of batteries are you charging? We used good old deep cycle marine batteries, nothing fancy and they last about 5 years. I do check them every time we are there to make sure they are not low and add distilled water probably 2 times a year to keep them at the proper levels.
I have two Duralast AGM marine batteries. Its been good so far.

bonesfab

Reaction score
I have a bunch of Battery tender brands. 4-bank and singles. I also have two Noco 2-bank 10 amps and they seem good so far.

bonesfab

Reaction score
And Optimate makes a real good product. Will bring back some dead batteries. I have a few of those also.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Went with the Noco 4 bank . So far so good

NOCO Genius GENPRO10X4
81VmztZyEBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I still prefer independants to quads or duals which have a big weakness - the power supply, and typically if you lose one bank you lose them all.
(big delta pros notwithstanding)

Prob with this particular unit is that it isn't rated for batteries under 20AH so it wont cover small quad batteries or my genset battery

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 10.07.01 AM.png

havasujeeper

Reaction score
I've been told placing a trickle charger on a timer to come on daily will overcharge and smoke a battery, since it messes up the charge/float feature.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I've been told placing a trickle charger on a timer to come on daily will overcharge and smoke a battery, since it messes up the charge/float feature.

In theory it should not with an intelligent charger. Those chargers are monitoring battery voltage and should go right into trickle when the timer comes on. It’s just as if you plugged it back into the wall.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
In theory it should not with an intelligent charger. Those chargers are monitoring battery voltage and should go right into trickle when the timer comes on. It’s just as if you plugged it back into the wall.
Yeah, I never knew if that was truth or not. The bigger question is what is an intelligent charger?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yeah, I never knew if that was truth or not. The bigger question is what is an intelligent charger?
The Noco, Battery Tender and Minkotas are. You’d have to read the details on the specific charger you are looking at.

Jay Dub

Reaction score
Hey guys,

As the title states. What chargers are you guys using? Garage gets pretty damn hot so I'm worried about battery melting or shit blowing up. Do you guys leave it plugged in all the time or is it set on a timer? Dual battery preferred. Thanks!
I use Deltran Battery Tenders on my two Optima blue tops. many years, no issues. Plugged in year-round when not on the lake

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I use a Noco 4 bank on my boat, plugged in 100% of the time while stored in my driveway, have not had any issues....but its also not in a Havasu garage when its 115 degrees outside, so I get the concern.

hallett21

Reaction score
This is RDP. You don’t have a guy for this?

🤣🤣🤣🤣

I use the Battery Tender brand on the boat and Sea Doo

ChrisV

Reaction score
Just curious with a lithium battery do you really need to trickle charge it?
Thats for my car. Was just sitting so I just charged it for a bit. I would never trickle charge a lithium battery. Even if thats shit is in my shop when I'm gone for a day or two.

530RL

Reaction score
I only use CTEK chargers. Many of the high end cars that have battery tender external ports as part of the car use CTEK. Ferrari, Porsche, Ford GT and so on.

When putting tenders on modern cars, consider reading the manuals. Modern start/stop technology uses two batteries in different locations and you need to make sure both are being maintained. Different manufacturers have different configurations.

Boat 405

Reaction score
I think more importantly, what are people keeping their garage temps at during summer?

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I used a 2 bank deltran battery tender with my last boat, the batteries lasted for years.

2Driver

Reaction score
I never left the boat on charge at the Parker house. I topped off before I left and put the trickle on when we got there. Never a problem in 5 years. Buy really good batteries and forget it.