WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What was the first boat you single skied behind?

4Waters

Reaction score
95 21ft Ultra Stealth 350mag with alpha one and a high five prop, lake Piru summer of 1998.

hav19

Big Member
Reaction score
'73 Sanger 19' Bubble Deck V-Drive / Pudding Stone

Back when you could get off work at 5 in Arcadia and make it to the Pudding Stone Inspection Station before they closed the gate and still have 90 minutes left to ski!!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Back when you could get off work at 5 in Arcadia and make it to the Pudding Stone Inspection Station before they closed the gate and still have 90 minutes left to ski!!

We used to jet ski there after work till it got dark. No one on the lake but me and my friend. Ran all over the lake and the patrol guys just sat and watched. Good times!

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
1991 ultra 21ft lx with with a 350, alpha drive and a high 5 prop. Single ski was lake Powell summer of 93 I was 7.

I learned attached doubles at 5 on Parker strip in the same boat.

mitch6601

HMFIC
Reaction score
1978 buckskin behind my dads custom built 18 - 19ft jet boat. Started on an H ski then progressed to doubles and a single by 1979. I used to love to shore start and shore stop there just had to get past the seaweed line back in those days. If you did it correctly as racey put it you never got your hair wet :)

I came in hot a few times and boy let me tell you nothing tells you to turn towards the middle of the river faster then seeing the shoreline coming at you while looking through the water.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
74 Eliminator Jet bote. 460 Ford/Berkeley. "Ski-Me".

Summer of '77 I was 7.

Silverwood Lake.

Dan'l

hav19

Big Member
Reaction score
IMG_4295-001.JPG
We used to jet ski there after work till it got dark. No one on the lake but me and my friend. Ran all over the lake and the patrol guys just sat and watched. Good times!

Here You Go - July 1983ish - I was 19 couldn't afford the boat and the River so Pudding Stone was the Next best Thing! Didn't Move to Havasu Until 89'

lebel409

Reaction score
1973 or so, behind my uncles Schiada outboard, using my other uncles Murdoch ski. Blythe for sure, probably Mayflower... People tried to teach me when I was younger (6 or so) but I wasn't ready. By 13 I decided I was gonna do it. They tried 4 or 5 times and told me to get in the boat, I was "too tired", but I went for once more, got up, and tried to run them out of gas.

DWC

Reaction score
Schida with a 235 Evinrude w NOS. 1983 at a friends house on the water in Blythe. Spent most of our summers there and probably more mid-week time during high school than i should have.
Went from Blythe to “Campo Mosqueda” in Mexico with Arizona Kevin’s family. A lot of time behind their Old Nautique. Lots of cheap tequila, beer and food.
Damn good times. I’d never let my kids do half that shit.

guest hs

Reaction score

Cool I was born in Arcadia

TomD

Breathing Member
Reaction score
16' molded plywood Whirlwind with 65HP Scott Atwater 72'-73'. Saratoga lake, NY. Back when they used a ski belts, oh but that wasn't enough for my mom we had to ware an orange vest and the ski belt :) We would wipe out and NEAVER went under. LOL!!!

mitch6601

HMFIC
Reaction score
I remember always asking my dad which way we were going to go and his standard response was ""just follow the dam boat"" still to this day makes me laugh and I use that line as much as I can in any situation I can adapt it too. :) What I know now is that as a DAD and a boat captain you are very busy and concerned when setting up to pull someone up. As a kid I had no idea there was a lot going on I just wanted to ski. Another line we always used while at the river was there was no exact time for anything (no exact time plans). It was always rivertime. I use that line too but now just say laketime. :)

My father started to teach me to drive the boat the same year I got up on a single - that was cool. It all started to make sense after that. I was hooked and always hated leaving the river!

96scarab

Reaction score
My dads 1974 century raven 190 Canandaigua Lake Ny.. I haven't seen this boat in 25 years. I did a google search for 1974 century raven and it was on the first page.. I couldn't believe it!

Last edited:

jbird

Reaction score
CeeBee Avenger with Merc OB at Lake Nacimiento.
This was the start to what would become an addiction.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
My Dads 18' Bayliner with a merc 200 on it. Carlsbad's Agua Hedionda Lagoon sometime around the early nineties. I was out there almost every weekend well into the winter skiing. One of the best years of my life. The next summer I wanted to try wakeboarding. Kept trying to hold the damn thing under the water straight up and down like a ski. I never hurt so bad the next day after anything in my life. Went to the boat show a couple of weeks later and someone had a how to video on auto play in the booth. I stood there for an hour and watched it. Next day I was up on the first try.

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
Bahner w/ a Black Max Smoker-Whipple Bay 1983-84 ish (Way back when it was fun) Havasu Palms damn I miss the Palms.......

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
Pops 16' Larson with a 90 Evinrude. Mid 70's while on vacation at Table Rock Lake in Missouri.

bocco

Reaction score
1956 Chris Craft Capri. 21ft. It had a Chrysler Marine hemi with two two barrel carbs. It had a wake bigger than me at the time. About 1962 on Clear Lake Ca.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Ruth Lake, summer of 76'. Behind my uncle's flattie. Belt no vest lol.

We all used to laugh when we were going there, my Grandma's name was Ruth, so she would always say we were going to "her' lake for the week! :D

Miss them so much, they were the best. Learned more about life and love from them than my parents!

Last edited:

rrrr

Reaction score
My first time was in the big irrigation ditch on the east side of the Rio Grande, between Alameda Blvd and the Sandia Pueblo. The tow vehicle was my 1970 Toyota Land Cruiser, with the rope tied to the roll bar.

Several friends and I would skip afternoon classes, buy a case of beer, and hit the ditch. I was 6'2" and 220 lbs, so getting up on one was pretty much impossible. Using two skis, I would stand on the tall grass on the opposite bank, hit it, and before the tow angle pulled me into the other bank, I had to be on plane and turning.

Once I was stabilized, I would drop a ski and go single. The tight confines limited the amount of turning. :D

One day a Bernalillo County deputy showed up, and told us he was gonna take all of us to jail unless someone could get up on a single ski first try without crashing.

One of my friends was a really good skier, so he did the honors. Fortunately he got up and skied away on the first try.

This is example 73 of the 100 reasons I had to have both knees replaced before I was 55. :D :D

Last edited:

H2O

Reaction score
It was a 13' Boston Whaler with a 35 hp Merc Outboard. I was so young I can barely remember...but what I do remember is a tag on the Whaler that said "35 HP MAXIMUM"

I used to pester my father to upgrade us from the 35 hp to the coveted 40 hp max.

The sickness starts early!