WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What were the early good years for VW bugs?

Magnuman

Reaction score
I recently saw a really nice '63 rag top that was in pristine condition and was thinking about getting it for an around the town car.

What were the good and bad years for these cars?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
google samba vw,join and post the question. They'le pile on you like Tom Brown on a newbie.

Tank

Reaction score
I recently saw a really nice '63 rag top that was in pristine condition and was thinking about getting it for an around the town car.

What were the good and bad years for these cars?

Anything from the 50's through the 60s. The early 50's were the split windows and the late 50's were the oval windows into the early 60's were the smaller full rear windows into the late 60's of the normal size windows. 70's and up have no "cool factor". You can usually find great deals on the 60's bugs. The 50's models are running in the 10's of thousands for anything good.

Check out www.thesamba.com Lots of info and probably the single largest classifieds section for strictly bug stuff.

Magnuman

Reaction score
google samba vw,join and post the question. They'le pile on you like Tom Brown on a newbie.

That's pretty funny.:thumbsup

I am familiar with Samba and a couple of the other sites. It's just that I remember a while back a post on VW's here but I can't seem to find it.

Last edited:

Motor Boater

Reaction score
67 and older. Things really started to change for the worse in 68, high back seats plastic dash boards etc. 67 was first year of 1600 engine and last year of good styling.

Magnuman

Reaction score
Thanks that what I was looking for. I remember there was a change in the 60's somewhere.

This one in particular is a '63 with a 1600 dual port engine.

Last edited:

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
67 and older. Things really started to change for the worse in 68, high back seats plastic dash boards etc. 67 was first year of 1600 engine and last year of good styling.

Yep, 67. Last year of 5 lug, first year of 12V. 67' or older is the best way to go.

maxwedge

(Maximus Wedge-i-mus)
Reaction score
Yeah, the early years are better looking except only 69 (68 for the auto-stick) and later had IRS rear suspension, instead of swing axles, which is definitely the better option there...so really the best option is a late 60's engine and pan with an early style body, or just weld in an oval or split window kit to one of the later models, and run screaming from any of the 1970's "Super Beetles" with McPherson struts in front. Of course by modern standards, they are all unsafe and underpowered, so you might want to get one of the New Beetles in the Turbo-S version with the 6-speed...except they have reliability issues and will only last 5 times as long as an old beetle and cost half as much to buy, but everybody here will think your gay if you do that, so just build a custom golf cart instead, sure it will cost more than restoring an old VW, and be far less useful, but it's similar in size and at least you will still be cool here.:D

Last edited:

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Yeah, the early years are better looking except only 69 (68 for the auto-stick) and later had IRS rear suspension, instead of swing axles, which is definitely the better option there...so really the best option is a late 60's engine and pan with an early style body, or just weld in an oval or split window kit to one of the later models, and run screaming from any of the 1970's "Super Beetles" with McPherson struts in front. Of course by modern standards, they are all unsafe and underpowered, so you might want to get one of the New Beetles in the Turbo-S version with the 6-speed...except they have reliability issues and will only last 5 times as long as an old beetle and cost half as much to buy, but everybody here will think your gay if you do that, so just build a custom golf cart instead, sure it will cost more than restoring an old VW, and be far less useful, but it's similar in size and at least you will still be cool here.:D

Everybody here know tha you can build a golf cart in 2 weeks. Can you restore a bug in 2 weeks? I think not. :D

rrrr

Reaction score
I had a couple of '64's that were great cars.

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
I had a 62 my senior year of high school. Tear drop headlights with the turn signals in the headlights. I bought it with a 6v system and a 1200. I upgraded it to 12v and a 1600. Did it all myself in my autoshop class. I loved that bug. Primer grey and black rims. Black interior. The biggest prob I had was I spun hubs at least twice a month. I was hard on her. :p

BrianB

Reaction score
IMO it depends if you have your heart set on a ragtop, sunroof, classic. Pre 68 is a very simple system, wiring, engine, interior. Dont forget smog ! Anything after 74 is going to be a big challenge. No VW Fuel Infuction.
One of my favorite VW was a 69 stock sedan with thing spindles and a body lift. Full fender off-roader. Ran 1.8 Liter alloys with 235/75/15 BFG.

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
Yeah, except I need a 69 through 73 pan for a project I have in mind.:cool:

I converted my 60' to IRS, it was real easy...;)

Type 2 IRS trans with a 2234 sporting a pair of IDA's...:D:champagne:

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
'66 and earlier were the best in styling. '67 was the first year for the vertical fenders/headlights but it's a "one-off" year and quality parts are hard to find and expensive.

IRS rear suspension ('68 up) really improves the ride and does away with the rear camber issues. Balljoint front ends ('66+) are easier to adjust and ride better than the earlier link-pin type (although link-pins are better for off-road use.)

Super Beetle (McPhearson Struts) suspension was a great improvement in handling, but has issues of its own. Plan on replacing ALL front suspension bushings, or else you'll have a shimmy (at minimum) up to an out and out death wobble in the front end.

Whatever you get inspect for rust. Start under the battery (passenger side under the back seat), and look for shoddy repairs, such as sheet metal or fiberglass. The pan is an integral part of this car's body integrity, and a rusted out or otherwise compromised pan will turn an already unsafe car into a death trap.

They did make standard (non-Super) bugs up until 1977, but they're fairly rare. 1976 was the last year for the Super Beetle, except for convertibles, which were made through 1978. If you can somehow get a late model Mexican Beetle AND get it registered in the US, you'll really have something. The last year they were made was 2003.

Last edited:

Johnny_5

Reaction score
i wish i had pics on my computer of my 65' i sold years ago. 1300 single port, best most reliable engine ever. I was never stranded, and I DROVE that car... if i could take back anything in this lifetime, it would be selling that car...

rivergoer

OH SHIAT HERE WE GO AGAIN
Reaction score
best one 56 oval window ragtop with semiphores (the turnsiglas pop out of the door pillar like a wing then fold back in when off totally bitchen. thats what i want.

AZJD

Lynch's River Mob
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the 64 convertible and the 65' with a safari and a cooler. I also like the 69' cali style

66 and earlier were my favorite had small tails and glass in the headlights. I like the 69 cali because it was the last year they had the medium tail lights. Although it had the quarter moon vent behind the rear quarter glass that the 68 didn't mine had the sunroof and the chrome trim around all the windows.

My first car to resore when I can will be an old Caddy, then a 64 convert bug and then a micro bus.

Last edited:

AZJD

Lynch's River Mob
Reaction score
My 69 had 1835cc, straight cut gears, vz35 cam, super flow heads and Delorto 45's! Bus box tranny welded 1st and 2nd and a 4 puck disc inside a kennedy 2300lb clutch. It would eat 5.0's for breakfast......

14 second 1/4mi in 1994 in a bug was moving

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
I would love to have a nice Ghia or Notchback to restore. Always loved those cars.

I raced with a buddy, we built a 56' Ragtop on a 69 pan / 1984' motor, best time was 11.17 in the quarter. Not bad for a full bodied normally asperated sedan.

AZJD

Lynch's River Mob
Reaction score
I had a 74' Thing right out of high school too. 2litre and a set of 6x9's :)

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
You've been given lots of good info here. Mo matter what you want a car wth 12v lighting.
6v headlights are like two bic lighters with tin foil behind them.
If you are really goning to daily drive it then I would want the late suspension, the swing axle cars just don't do it for me, but that is another personal deal.
I have a 65 body on a 70 pan with a strong little 1776. I built it to hang on to and have about 8k in it. Naturally, right after I finished it I found the o
ne I was looking for, a Karmann Ghia convertable. It needs a full resto but I got it for, ahh well for free.
A little voice keeps telling me to hang on to the Bug, so that is what I am doing. Nobody has any money anyway, and I ain't gonna give it away.
The air cooled VWs are fun, but warning they are addictive as all git-out. :D

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
My 69 had 1835cc, straight cut gears, vz35 cam, super flow heads and Delorto 45's! Bus box tranny welded 1st and 2nd and a 4 puck disc inside a kennedy 2300lb clutch. It would eat 5.0's for breakfast......

14 second 1/4mi in 1994 in a bug was moving

This was my '71. Pictured it had the 1914 with 44's in it. I had a 2276 with Autocraft heads that ran 12.90's. Wicked fast on the street. Had a lot of valve spring issues and I got tired of wrenching on it so I sold it. Wish I would have never done that. :grumble:

Attachments

• IMG_0004 [800x600].jpg
    IMG_0004 [800x600].jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0005 [800x600].jpg
    IMG_0005 [800x600].jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0006 [800x600].jpg
    IMG_0006 [800x600].jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 125

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I would love to have a nice Ghia or Notchback to restore. Always loved those cars.

I raced with a buddy, we built a 56' Ragtop on a 69 pan / 1984' motor, best time was 11.17 in the quarter. Not bad for a full bodied normally asperated sedan.

I'm kinda lookin for a Notchback myself. Not real hard though. But if the right deal shows itself I'll be all over it. I got a turbo EFI idea in mind for one. ;)

AZJD

Lynch's River Mob
Reaction score
This was my '71. Pictured it had the 1914 with 44's in it. I had a 2276 with Autocraft heads that ran 12.90's. Wicked fast on the street. Had a lot of valve spring issues and I got tired of wrenching on it so I sold it. Wish I would have never done that. :grumble:

NICE! You ever figure out the valve spring issue? Could you have switched to an 041 head to reduce compression and issues??

AZJD

Lynch's River Mob
Reaction score

I knew a few guys running 10's with carb'd motors in 1993.

Sean McCarthy from HB had a 64 or 66 rag (can't recall which) with 8" Empi's that ran at Pomona on V8 day and spanked everyone. 2600+cc with worked 48 webbers. Would pull the front wheels through 3rd with 10" slicks on it. The only guy that could play with the turbo guys and his secret was the fact that the car twisted so bad on launch due to it being a rag top it actually hooked up.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
NICE! You ever figure out the valve spring issue? Could you have switched to an 041 head to reduce compression and issues??

Sure. But the Autocrafts made a ton of power. I'm sure spinning it to almost 8k rpm when I was going through the traps probably didn't help. :D

AZJD

Lynch's River Mob
Reaction score
Sure. But the Autocrafts made a ton of power. I'm sure spinning it to almost 8k rpm when I was going through the traps probably didn't help. :D

Nothing like the sound of valves floating ;)

Vmjtc3

Banned
Reaction score
Here is the pile I gave my son for his 16th birthday. We spent a year building it as a father son project.:thumbsup

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 106

Vmjtc3

Banned
Reaction score
I'm kinda lookin for a Notchback myself. Not real hard though. But if the right deal shows itself I'll be all over it. I got a turbo EFI idea in mind for one. ;)

I know where there is a pair for sale at a good price. Last I knew he wanted $1500 for the pair, ones a builder the other one is parts only......

FOCKER

Reaction score
oops

Attachments

• CIMG1292.jpg
    CIMG1292.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 112
  • CIMG1304.jpg
    CIMG1304.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 117

rrrr

Reaction score
If you can somehow get a late model Mexican Beetle AND get it registered in the US, you'll really have something. The last year they were made was 2003.

In 1974 (I was in high school) I was in Mexico touring with a national wrestling team. We stayed at the Olympic village in Mexico City. One of our stops was in Jalapa, east of Mexico City. We drove past the VW plant in Puebla, there must have been 10,000 beetles parked in the giant lot next to the factory. They were grouped by color, a couple thousand each of red, yellow, blue, green, white. More bugs than I knew existed, LOL...

Magnuman

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the info.
The one I am looking at is a 63 with rag top.
Has a freeway flyer transmission, 12v system, narrowed adjustable beam, and 2-1/2" drop spindles.
The body and pan have all been redone and it's in great shape.
He's asking 6K.

Here are some other fun things that I saw on Old Bug.com.

Nice panel wagon: http://www.oldbug.com/t3panel.htm

picture.php

64 Notchback:http://www.oldbug.com/langley.htm

picture.php

Nicely detailed 60 custom: http://oldbug.com/honse60.htm

picture.php

Transporter crazinesss: http://www.oldbug.com/conceptsingle.htm

picture.php

Nice Foose microbus: http://www.oldbug.com/foosebus.htm

picture.php

And since this is a boating website: :D http://www.oldbug.com/schwim1.htm

picture.php

Last edited:

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I know where there is a pair for sale at a good price. Last I knew he wanted $1500 for the pair, ones a builder the other one is parts only......

Well I'm looking for a project but not a basket case. I'd like to find one that is decent shape then do my thing to it. My main concern is the body must have no rust and be near perfect shape and all the interior has to be there.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
This is the '69 I restored in 2002 and gave to my grand daughter last year. Once it makes its way through all 3 grandkids (youngest is 11), I'll take it back and restore it again.

Attachments

• bugwheel4.jpg.jpg
    bugwheel4.jpg.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 105