WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What would cause outboard trim pump to seize twice?

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
When I picked up my new to me Cheetah with a 200 outboard I realized the trim wasn't working. Solenoids would click as would the pump motor. I went through the pain in the butt process to remove and test pump and it just clicked even when wired straight to the battery. I ordered and received a new pump with a two wire setup that ran off relays instead of solenoids. Wired it up and reinstalled everything. When I went to trim the relays just clicked as did the pump with the press of the switches while the 30 fuse went immediately. I went and picked up a new fuse and 2 new relays as I heard they were cheap and a weak link and the fuse went again. This tells me the motor is seized and popping the fuses. Stupid me I didn't try to run the unit prior to just wiring and installing to confirm it even worked.

I have checked the power post relays and it is solid when pushing the switch as I just replaced both batteries this morning as well. Is there anything in the trim unit that could be frozen or bound up which would cause two motors to act this way even immediately after installing?

lbhsbz

Reaction score
When I picked up my new to me Cheetah with a 200 outboard I realized the trim wasn't working. Solenoids would click as would the pump motor. I went through the pain in the butt process to remove and test pump and it just clicked even when wired straight to the battery. I ordered and received a new pump with a two wire setup that ran off relays instead of solenoids. Wired it up and reinstalled everything. When I went to trim the relays just clicked as did the pump with the press of the switches while the 30 fuse went immediately. I went and picked up a new fuse and 2 new relays as I heard they were cheap and a weak link and the fuse went again. This tells me the motor is seized and popping the fuses. Stupid me I didn't try to run the unit prior to just wiring and installing to confirm it even worked.

I have checked the power post relays and it is solid when pushing the switch as I just replaced both batteries this morning as well. Is there anything in the trim unit that could be frozen or bound up which would cause two motors to act this way even immediately after installing?

Pump itself could be locked up.

Merc I assume? What year? I have a complete 3 ram midsection and also a good 3 ram trim unit (minus the pump motor) for sale

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
Correct. I think its a 1991 XR4 Black Max. Info from running the serial.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score

Are the hydraulic lines clear? Pull the pump apart and check the Armature and the brushes to make sure they are good and free to move. Fluid is full and primed? You can take a drill and put the Chuck over the Armature shaft and spin it... I just read what you wrote again and saw that it was the trim and not the Jack Plate doh

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
This is the pump I just received. Can I take it apart?
pump.jpg

lbhsbz

Reaction score
If you just bought that and it's acting as you describe, exchange it for one that works.

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
If you just bought that and it's acting as you describe, exchange it for one that works.
Its going to go back as its warrantied. I'm just wondering if their is something post the pump/motor that can cause one to instantly seize or if I can manually cycle it to see that is not binding up before i go through another pump/motor.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Its going to go back as its warrantied. I'm just wondering if their is something post the pump/motor that can cause one to instantly seize or if I can manually cycle it to see that is not binding up before i go through another pump/motor.

No, it's probably just a piece of shit aftermarket part. You win some and you lose some with the aftermarket stuff.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
This is the pump I just received. Can I take it apart? View attachment 655838
Not sure about you but I know that I can take anything apart it's the putting back together that I struggle with sometimes.. I rebuilt my Jack Plate pump which is essentially the same thing twice and it was very simple to do

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
To big of prop

Reaction score
Why were you replacing it?

If it's locking up, I'd suspect the brushes are failing, or something is rolling around inside the armature (screw). Either way, I'd have them send you a new one.

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
When I bought the boat the trim wasn't working. Solenoids and pump just clicked. I bought the replacement pump and wired in the relays and it's doing the same installed. The new one I will at least try free from the trim unit first to confirm it works. Then install it.

Reaction score
When I bought the boat the trim wasn't working. Solenoids and pump just clicked. I bought the replacement pump and wired in the relays and it's doing the same installed. The new one I will at least try free from the trim unit first to confirm it works. Then install it.

If it's popping a fuse, I'd check the wiring too. I'm not sure what's involved in converting from a solenoid to relays, but it could be one of the relays is grounded out.

How many amp's is that motor rated? I'd be sure not to oversize a fuse.