WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What would drop Coyotes like this?

C-2

Reaction score
I found two dead Coyotes on my horse property. No signs of gunshot wounds or any other physical harm. Not found by each other; one was found on top of a small grade, the other behind a small grade about a 100ft away.

The smaller female looks like she buried her nose in brush.

Poison, or could they have been shot and I just don't see the wounds?

Stinky AF, so I'm not doing a necropsy lol

IMG-6263.jpg

IMG-6259.jpg

4Waters

Reaction score
It appears they died at different times, like a couple of days apart, one is bloated enough that the hind legs are apart and the other isn't

Reactions: C-2

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
Check for any froth around their nose or mouths...poison. They are not omnivores so it would be unlikely they would get poisoned from flora/fauna. Did they get kicked by the horses?

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I’d at least check their heads for gunshot wound. They tend to flop around, like pigs, when they’re shot which might explain the dirty nose.

C-2

Reaction score
It appears they died at different times, like a couple of days apart, one is bloated enough that the hind legs are apart and the other isn't
I thought about that too, that was the smaller female and she was exposed to the sun, 87 degrees for a few days.

It almost looks like she was digging at something and then...whamo. But no wound on either side, I looked. There is disturbed grass/dirt and a piece of freshly snapped (styrofoam which in itself is a riddle, where did that come from lol).

IMG-6260.jpg

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Only good yote is a dead one , two is better ... My guess is poison , Maybe even secondary from someone that poisoned their food chain (rats mice squirrels etc) I believe the rigor suggests recent , call in the Turkey Buzzards......How long it takes the muscle stiffness to subside also varies, with rigidity usually reaching a peak after 12 hours and nearly disappearing in 24 to 36 hours. Rigor is not a good indicator of the time of death

Last edited:

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I am saying something like a 22. small entrance wound but no obvious exit. Most centerfire will leave a decent hole on the exit.

if they did not bleed much out of the hole you could miss it if not really digging around on them.

Few, if any realistic poisons would act fast enough to drop them somewhere like that.

C-2

Reaction score
I am saying something like a 22. small entrance wound but no obvious exit. Most centerfire will leave a decent hole on the exit.

if they did not bleed much out of the hole you could miss it if not really digging around on them.

Few, if any realistic poisons would act fast enough to drop them somewhere like that.
I think this is it. Pisses me the fucc off, we have horses and goats there, too. We live at the base of foothills and yotes are a nuisance, but are part of the ecology and we just deal with them.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
In your area would animal control be interested? Maybe even just to p/u the carcass

Taboma

Reaction score
Check for any froth around their nose or mouths...poison. They are not omnivores so it would be unlikely they would get poisoned from flora/fauna. Did they get kicked by the horses?
The yotes around my place in San Diego are certainly omnivores. They stand in line to get fallen avocados and their scat often has berries in it.

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
The yotes around my place in San Diego are certainly omnivores. They stand in line to get fallen avocados and their scat often has berries in it.
That's interesting. I've never heard that. Learn something new...

Taboma

Reaction score
That's interesting. I've never heard that. Learn something new...

Possibly more appropriate than omnivorous, would be opportunists --- they'll eat about anything if they're hungry. I run two game cameras in my grove just to watch my three regulars chow away on any downed avocados and those yotes would win a prize for the nicest coats. 😁
I like having them around, keeps the bunny population and ground squirrels in check.

C-2

Reaction score
In your area would animal control be interested? Maybe even just to p/u the carcass
Yup, two different neighbors are animal control and one of them picked the yotes up for me, that's why I put them in a wheel barrow.

A few years back the female officer was out walking her dog in the hills and at dusk, another neighbor popped up from the brush in a *ghillie* suit and shot a yote in front of her with his .223. The next day, plain clothes cops knocking at everybody's doors, they posted pics of the guy on FB and NextDoor...it was a fiasco.

But for the current situation, they were not interested, and that's fine, my immediate neighbors and I resolve issues like this between ourselves.

pkbullet

Reaction score
Was trying out my new AGM Rattler thermal Saturday night and missed one on a easy 200yd shot. Still pissed at myself, 20 minutes later he was posing for a camera on one of our ponds. All coyotes have to die on our place.

lantz

Reaction score

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Any gunshot wound leaves a trace of blood on fur, even on the entry wound if it does not penetrate through.

Literally thousands of Yotes and other pests and varmints have been personally eradicated by yours truly. Anything that breaks the skin leaves blood.

My bet is poison.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Any gunshot wound leaves a trace of blood on fur, even on the entry wound if it does not penetrate through.

Literally thousands of Yotes and other pests and varmints have been personally eradicated by yours truly. Anything that breaks the skin leaves blood.

My bet is poison.
I imagine that you've never hit the bullseye on the ole starfish then.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I don't know if you have mice or rats out there, but bait poisons get eaten and the suffering rodent is easy prey for the yotes. They digest them, and have the same issues. The chance of a coyote eating poison plants is really slim...those little bastards have survived and adapted forever. There is the chance they were rabid, but you'd never see a pair drop in close proximity within a few days.

C-2

Reaction score
Today was kind of a chaotic, so tomorrow I will look at the spot where the female died more closely.

Maybe it is coincidental they both died together.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Probably a good idea to dispose of em so nothing else eats the carcasses and gets sick too.
07FD4469-B213-4B1E-95DC-005948645798.jpeg

Taboma

Reaction score
Secondary poisoning is not really a thing between a rat and a larger animal the amount of poison that the rat ate is not enough to kill the larger animal

I thought secondary poisoning was only a concern with the Anticoagulant rat poisons they discontinued, at least in CA, several years ago ?
I know I used to be able to purchase them from the San Diego County Agriculture department, but stopped several years ago.