WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What would drop Coyotes like this?

Cdog

Reaction score
In absence of a bullet wound I'm going for a rattlesnake bite. We still have them out trying to warm up on the street around here during the late day.

Taboma

Reaction score
Here's some information on the three types of Rodenticides, excluding strychnine, which is commonly used for gophers and is approved only for underground use --- not to say somebody isn't using it improperly, because it's extremely lethal.

Currently in California and possibly most states as well, only the Non-Anticoagulants can be purchased by non-professionals (Possibly professionals as well ?? ). Even the once extremely lethal anticoagulant De-Con, is now non-anticoagulant.
My point is, not all Rodenticides are the same and the non-anticoagulant types sold in CA (As an example) pose a low secondary risk to mammals, even birds.
As a matter of fact, as far as I'm concerned, I'm not so sure the new non-anticoagulants currently being sold kill anything, primary or secondary.
I've used them for my grove rats and they devour the shit and I keep replacing it and they keep devouring it.
Yet, I spent $ 99 on an exterior rated Victor Electronic Rat Zapper and after a few kills, at least for now, the rats are either gone or moved on.
At least you get the satisfaction of seeing the bastards dead.

20211015_092402.jpg

Rodenticides 1st gen.JPG

Rodenticides 2nd Gen.JPG

Rodenticide non-anticoagulant.JPG

Reactions: C-2

termiteguy

Reaction score
I thought secondary poisoning was only a concern with the Anticoagulant rat poisons they discontinued, at least in CA, several years ago ?
I know I used to be able to purchase them from the San Diego County Agriculture department, but stopped several years ago.
Even those baits were not enough to kill a larger animal the tree huggers got those banned in California. If they were enough to kill a larger you would see domestic cats dead and bird of prey dead all over. They do find trace amounts in them when die but not enough to kill them

Taboma

Reaction score
Even those baits were not enough to kill a larger animal the tree huggers got those banned in California. If they were enough to kill a larger you would see domestic cats dead and bird of prey dead all over. They do find trace amounts in them when die but not enough to kill them

Not just CA, but I know at least at Home Depot and Lowes in AZ, (Lake Havasu) I can't find anti-coagulant rodenticides, although I admit to not having checked at Tractor Supply.

One interesting fact, when I used to purchase the Rat Poison from the SD Ag dept, the rats I found dead --- and trust me, those pellets were lethal and really worked -- but both the rats and squirrels found had bright blue stomachs, which was the color of the rodenticide, so you knew what they'd eaten. But I never found any dead coyotes or other animals from secondary poisoning. I always used the pellets responsibly in tubes or bait stations so other large mammals wouldn't eat them.

termiteguy

Reaction score
Not just CA, but I know at least at Home Depot and Lowes in AZ, (Lake Havasu) I can't find anti-coagulant rodenticides, although I admit to not having checked at Tractor Supply.

One interesting fact, when I used to purchase the Rat Poison from the SD Ag dept, the rats I found dead --- and trust me, those pellets were lethal and really worked -- but both the rats and squirrels found had bright blue stomachs, which was the color of the rodenticide, so you knew what they'd eaten. But I never found any dead coyotes or other animals from secondary poisoning. I always used the pellets responsibly in tubes or bait stations so other large mammals wouldn't eat them.
Yes that correct way of using but if I took what it took to kill a rat it would take much more to kill a larger animal. But that is why you put it in a container. I had my next door nieghbor putting some out in his garage he set a block down on the ground next to him while placing another one behind stuff in the garage turned around it gone looks at his dog and he licking his lips. Ran the dog to vet the vet told him fees him milk bones he will be ok. Dog food is full of vitamin k which is blood clotting the poor dog puked all over the backyard but he was fine after

C-2

Reaction score
Our property is fenced and is only an acre located in a semi-rural neighborhood surrounded by residences on one side of the street, and across the street are the foothills where the yotes live.

For the poison theory to be correct, both yotes were able to slip under the fence and traverse 200 ft before they both dropped dead.

I have never seen a rattlesnake on the property in the 41-years it has been owned by us. In fact, I've never seen one in the neighborhood.

My LEO neighbor has not heard any gunshots.

I'm so confused lol

traquer

Reaction score
I like the rattlesnake idea. Coyotee gets bit, makes a ruckus figthing with the snake, the other one comes over and gets bit too lol

1638293059912.png

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
There would be signs of necrosis around the bite area if it were so.

I'm going with aliens.
Don't aliens do that weird bloodless disection thing? Remove the eye and bleach some bones?

Or are we talking aliens of a southern persuasion?

C-2

Reaction score
The rattlesnake theory sounds plausible because of the freshly dug hole. But would it drop a yote on the spot? Why was the other one able to run away?

Don't get me wrong guys, not arguing any theory - I appreciate all the input.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The rattlesnake theory sounds plausible because of the freshly dug hole. But would it drop a yote on the spot? Why was the other one able to run away?

Don't know the hatching seasons out there, but they say young rattlers dump all their venom on the first bite. I've heard it said they're more deadly to an adult human, so maybe it could drop a yote? I don't know.
Our horses spook when any snake is near...kind of like me...but Just sit and and watch coyotes after giving us a couple of "verbal warnings".

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
On occasion we've come across sick Coyotes, especially pups that died in camp.
Rangers told us rattlesnake bites.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Don't know the hatching seasons out there, but they say young rattlers dump all their venom on the first bite. I've heard it said they're more deadly to an adult human, so maybe it could drop a yote? I don't know.
Our horses spook when any snake is near...kind of like me...but Just sit and and watch coyotes after giving us a couple of "verbal warnings".
Hatching season? You must of bought some rattle snake eggs from mc'Goos. didn't ya! 😂

Wheeler

Reaction score

No, it will not drop 'em dead in place like the green mambas claim to fame.

Taboma

Reaction score
Our property is fenced and is only an acre located in a semi-rural neighborhood surrounded by residences on one side of the street, and across the street are the foothills where the yotes live.

For the poison theory to be correct, both yotes were able to slip under the fence and traverse 200 ft before they both dropped dead.

I have never seen a rattlesnake on the property in the 41-years it has been owned by us. In fact, I've never seen one in the neighborhood.

My LEO neighbor has not heard any gunshots.

I'm so confused lol

The poison isn't immediate, even if it's a mass dose of anti-coagulant. Even with rats, you'd first notice them being "Stupid", probably from brain hemorrhaging. Like walking down your driveway mid day and basically letting you walk up and shoot them.
In fact my really old timer neighbor found that fun, as he'd put out poison, then sit in his lawn chair and shoot the idiots walking across in front of him, broad daylight.

Rattler bite would be very far down my list of reasons, coyotes live around them daily and react as fast as any cat. Unless a yote is starving, unlikely he'd mess with one.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Wasn't it rangers that told you how great the predator generator is? 🤣

Before we know it we'll be talkin 'bout straws, lake mead and the drought ;)

Taboma

Reaction score

I recall stories over in Nam about the deadly "Two Step" snake, but being on the rivers mostly, never saw one.
Later learned that was a myth, but still the Malayan krait, which owned that nickname is said to have one of the lowest survival rates.

But Alas,
In a steel hulled, slow-ass LCM, hauling drums of JP-5 & AVgas, getting bit by a RPG striking out of a bush, was far more concerning. 🥵

Taboma

Reaction score
Interesting, never heard that, doesn't surprise me much that some pups learn the hard way.

77charger

Reaction score
I dont think a rattler would drop it dead like that atleast take a while to do so but could be possible.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
A rattler? I grew up in coyote/rattler country and never seen that happen. Hell I've had domestic cat's n dogs get struck and they are still around kicking

C-2

Reaction score
I looked this morning and saw fresh scat by the female and she was definitely digging for something. The scat did not have any blood in it and looked normal. Something dropped her right there, had to be a gun.

No other signs of blood trails; neighbors not fessing up when questioned by me surreptitiously.

Strong lean towards Aliens...

traquer

Reaction score
I looked this morning and saw fresh scat by the female and she was definitely digging for something. The scat did not have any blood in it and looked normal. Something dropped her right there, had to be a gun.

No other signs of blood trails; neighbors not fessing up when questioned by me surreptitiously.

Strong lean towards Aliens...
Aliens with guns, duh

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Ok I’ll play. Small bore hi velocity would have to be extremely accurate to drop them in their tracks like that.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
There's some badass air rifles out there that would drop a yote no problem.