WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What would you do.....

fishfyter

Reaction score
So... I sold my small fishing boat yesterday. We took it out,and test drove it for about 15min came in talked a bit and took it out again for about 10 min. We did the deal, I left. They took the boat to get fuel and launched it again. They went out and the boat shut off on them. They called me today to see if I knew why, I told them you probably disconnected the lanyard the boat runs good never had an issue. They asked if they could have their money back. I told them no... What would you do??

Reactions: DWC

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
So... I sold my small fishing boat yesterday. We took it out,and test drove it for about 15min came in talked a bit and took it out again for about 10 min. We did the deal, I left. They took the boat to get fuel and launched it again. They went out and the boat shut off on them. They called me today to see if I knew why, I told them you probably disconnected the lanyard the boat runs good never had an issue. They asked if they could have their money back. I told them no... What would you do??
Oh boy this is going to be a good thread maybe meet up with him at the lake again and see what the issue is it could be something very simple and would give you some good karma

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
As is, where is. They take it, it’s theirs. Pretty simple for me. I did buy a Scout II back years ago from a kid a couple weeks after he purchased it from me. Said it got bad fuel mileage. I Bought it back for 2k less. And sold it again a week later for 2k more. 😁

ps. Like was said above, may be worth a trip to the lake to help them out. They obviously don’t have a clue.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Buyer's remorse is not your problem. And who knows what, if anything, they did to the boat after they took it.

Joe mama

Reaction score
Shit happens. Who knows what they did or maybe it just took a shit. The thing is some people might hunt you down.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Thanks. I feel I'm in the right. The boat ran good and
, who knows what they did. I can try and talk them through but they are not very boat savvy. It's a couple of younger guys that appeared to have no mechanical abilities.
I like this answer. But sale is final. If I can help you over the phone I’m more than welcome to try and help. Other than that. That’s why it’s called. All sales final.
I’m mean hell for all you know they put the green handle nozzle in the tank. 😂😜🤷😱

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
All sales are FINAL.

I cannot control or see WTF you fucked up with a perfectly running boat/vehicle/XXX after you took possession.

I don't give fuck if it broke down a block away. Caveat Emptor.

I have actually gone out of my way to do some good will on things I have sold....had a distributor crap out of my x's Acura a week after I sold it for top dollar to a nice kid...

Since he was very polite and was asking for help and not his money back, I got him the part for cost and installed it for free. Everyone was happy.

After a month, you own that shit IMO. I tell people the truth no hidden bullshit, but used vehicles are always a gamble.

I'd casually take a look at what's going on if they were cool. Asking for a refund, no fucking way.

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Every situation is different but all sales are final.

But in some cases I’ve helped someone out with problems on a vehicle I’ve sold. Didn’t offer to buy back but put a little effort into helping them in the right direction.

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
I’ll add that every used vehicle I buy I assume could blow up the next day but I factor that into my purchase price. Especially buying a used four stroke motorcycle! I don’t look for the cleanest bike with the best plastics or clean oil. I look at the overall condition and how the seller is acting. Most of the time you can tell when someone is trying to hide or dump a problem on you.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I sold a fishing boat to a guy a while back....he had problems, so I had him bring it back...I changed the electronics (old merc) and he still had problems....we changed everything but the actual powerhead from my perfectly running engine and it still died after about 5 minutes. I gave him another drop on powerhead I had...runs great now. He's an attorney, and now he's my attorney. He brings the boat by once every 6 months or so and we drink beer while I service it and fix little things. If I need legal help, he's there. Aside from the original sale, not a dollar has changed hands between us in about 7 years. Might be worth responding if the guys have anything useful to contribute.

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
I like driving different cars and trying a variety of boats so at one point pre covid I was buying and selling too much. I learned to save phone numbers as "Seller" and the item when I bought in case I had questions and "Buyer" and the item so I know not to answer if they call fairly quickly after the sale. They can leave a thank you message and anything else I don't care.
I consider myself a good honest person and I do overly disclose known issues but buyer remorse or your new problems are not my problems. I don't expect or offer warranties on anything used.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
They had a tail light warranty.

traquer

Reaction score
Depends on how they're asking I guess. Listen to what they have to say and if they seem nice but concerned maybe you can figure it out for them or at least point them in the right direction. If they seem arrogant than forget it.

I bought a boat once and didn't know the ignition key would get stuck in the "start" position if you weren't careful. Took me a few minutes to figure out that it was the starter that was making that horrible grinding noise and not a fugged motor lol. I was worried there for a sec but $20 fix for a new ignition switch and all good. Maybe they're doing something like that.

Last edited:

hallett21

Reaction score
I sold a fishing boat to a guy a while back....he had problems, so I had him bring it back...I changed the electronics (old merc) and he still had problems....we changed everything but the actual powerhead from my perfectly running engine and it still died after about 5 minutes. I gave him another drop on powerhead I had...runs great now. He's an attorney, and now he's my attorney. He brings the boat by once every 6 months or so and we drink beer while I service it and fix little things. If I need legal help, he's there. Aside from the original sale, not a dollar has changed hands between us in about 7 years. Might be worth responding if the guys have anything useful to contribute.
You’re also the saint who fixed stuff for your future real estate buyer if I’m not mistaken.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
You’re also the saint who fixed stuff for your future real estate buyer if I’m not mistaken.
Yep, and the new owner brought by whatever he caught spear fishing until he sold the house and moved to Texas last year....it pays off sometimes....

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Sounds like they wanted a free rental for the day.. make a deposit and get it back… 🧐

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
You need to advise them of the warranty-
5 years, 50,000 miles, or until it gets wet, which ever comes first.

Dan'l

come on now, its not a Schiada.

"sorry bout yer luck fella" all sales are final.

When I sold my center console a few year back, the guy tried to pull something similar right at the end of summer. As much as I regret selling that boat, no way in hell I was going to give him his money back.

badgas

Reaction score
"Sorry guys, I just wrote e check to my mortgage company and the money is gone. The boat worked really well for me.
Here is the number for great mechanic "

bonesfab

Reaction score
Give them the fifty/fifty warranty. They break it, they get both pieces.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Where is this alleged boat with no problems ? I've never seen one in real life.
Theyre around, you just have to open your eyes
Screenshot_20230328_123555_Chrome.jpg

LuauLounge

Reaction score
If the conversation went remotely close to the OP's post, it would be pound sand. If they called looking for info, I'd be as helpful as I could. Ten years ago, I'd probably take a look at it, 10 years before that I would have fixed it for them. Never in my life would I ever refund their money.

hallett21

Reaction score
I think I’d find out why the boat shut off. Personally I’d give them their money back but I always go out of my way in situations like this.
Even if you find out that they blew it up?

These scenarios seem to always swing towards someone trying to unload a pile of shit or someone not knowing what they’re doing. Rarely does it land in between.

LAPII

Reaction score
Probably trying to do a Tik Tok for likes, and screwed something up.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
As used boat is sold as-is no warranty, and I have had buyers sign a bill of sale that states this as well. Have you been using the boat often enough to know if it was mechanically solid or not? If so, then I would wonder if the inexperienced new boaters did something that caused damage. I would talk to them on the phone, or possibly meet then on the water somewhere to see if it's something basic, but I would be hesitant about offering a refund in this situation. I really try to act on good faith as a buyer and seller. Unfortunately not everyone operates this way.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
I think I’d find out why the boat shut off. Personally I’d give them their money back but I always go out of my way in situations like this.
I would not return the money.

However, I would try to help. After a few questions, you might discover it is something simple.

”Other than returning your money, how can I help you?”

I just sold a boat in January. The new owner called me 2 days ago. He wanted to know how to turn on the fans. We both busted out laughing when I described what the switch looked like. A very “perky titty” in center of fan. It’s not marked. Lol

He then spent the next 20 minutes telling me how much he loved the boat and what excellent condition it was in. Not one broken feature. Everything worked as represented. I must admit…….. it felt good to hear! Lol