WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What's it worth? 2004 Essex 21

DogNamedChevy

Motor Boating
Reaction score
First off, lemme apologize for posting one of these threads [emoji12] I have a buddy looking at this boat. It's a 2004 Essex Sterling 21 footer with a 5.7L Mercruiser and bravo 1 drive. If it's clean, is it worth $20,000?
FullSizeR1_1491424212263.jpg

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
First off, lemme apologize for posting one of these threads [emoji12] I have a buddy looking at this boat. It's a 2004 Essex Sterling 21 footer with a 5.7L Mercruiser and bravo 1 drive. If it's clean, is it worth $20,000?
View attachment 551376

How many hours? I'm guessing it's actually a 350MAGMPI. I had a '99 Sterling with that engine.
My guess is YES. Sterlings are nice running boats. Should see 65mph+ with it.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Another boat with timeless gel like mine. Good looking boat!

Essexive G's

Reaction score
This '05 with a 496HO is at Essex in Ontario for $28,900 375 hours
http://www.essexboats.com/used-21-sterling-05

I should have paid more attention to your screen name. LOL I didnt realize is said ESSEXive
Good to see more Essex owners here. :thumbup:

Been here awhile. I kinda stay quite when everyone is talking about boats. Around here it would seem the consensus is I should have saved some money for life jackets and bought a Four Winns, but I love my boat. My gel you could probably not only tell what year, but also the week it was pulled from the mold. Hell as good as some of the people on here are, they could probably add date and time. Not the fastest, but not even near the roughest riding either.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Been here awhile. I kinda stay quite when everyone is talking about boats. Around here it would seem the consensus is I should have saved some money for life jackets and bought a Four Winns, but I love my boat. My gel you could probably not only tell what year, but also the week it was pulled from the mold. Hell as good as some of the people on here are, they could probably add date and time. Not the fastest, but not even near the roughest riding either.

LOL, Not a lot of Essex love here but I really like them.

You have a lot nicer Gel than mine. No doubt. :)

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Why would you say that? Essex V Bottoms are some of the best riding / highest quality boats out there?

RD <---- puzzled (did someone really say something bad about an Essex on here??? Really?)

DogNamedChevy

Motor Boating
Reaction score
How many hours? I'm guessing it's actually a 350MAGMPI. I had a '99 Sterling with that engine.
My guess is YES. Sterlings are nice running boats. Should see 65mph+ with it.

Not sure how many hours. It looks like a cool boat for the money. He's trying to get me more details and I'll be sure to post updates.

Matthew

Wadernation

Reaction score

my uncle has an essex and i love his boat. Supercharged small block does low 80s. Super clean and would buy his in a heartbeat. :thumbsup

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
My buddy had the 21 or 22 with a bravo III drive and it was one of the best handling boats I've ever been in. I've always said that Essex was way ahead of everyone else using the B3 on smaller Vee's. Most the other mfg's couldn't see the light on that.

RD

Essexive G's

Reaction score
Why would you say that? Essex V Bottoms are some of the best riding / highest quality boats out there?

RD <---- puzzled (did someone really say something bad about an Essex on here??? Really?)

Lol Dave. You must have been on vacation that week.;) It's all good. I just tell myself before I go to sleep at night that they are all jealous.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Lol Dave. You must have been on vacation that week.;) It's all good. I just tell myself before I go to sleep at night that they are all jealous.

I'd like to see the thread so I can tell whoever it was they are an idiot. lol.

Granted their quality was kind of all over the board a little after the recession but the boats overall are still way bad ass and a lot better than others!

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score

Most of the negative comments I have seen on here were in regards to how heavy they are laid up, or the Bravo 3.
The Bravo3 being not very conducive for engine performance upgrades. From what I have read 450HP max for a B3.

RodnJen

Reaction score
IMHO $20k would be a steal. If it is clean, and he has priced new boats, I'd say close to mid $20's. Mine was $48-ish new in 2004 and we enjoy it just as much now as the day we brought it home. Our upgrades were motor, drive, better stereo (not big), and through-hull exhaust.

Essexive G's

Reaction score
Most of the negative comments I have seen on here were in regards to how heavy they are laid up, or the Bravo 3.
The Bravo3 being not very conducive for engine performance upgrades. From what I have read 450HP max for a B3.

I get the Essex because of how heavy it is laid up. I was boat camping at Mohave out of Cottonwood. You need a heavy boat up there. The camping became too much. Hauling too much shit in and out. More and more friends showing up with more and more shit. Who brings a wine rack to boat camp for 9 days.? The day I hauled that thing back to the Marina was my last. Bought a place at the Rio and it is a great boat for the strip and the chop.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Being laid up heavy is a good thing.. ???

Bravo 3 on a smaller Vee bottom has a ton of advantages (rides smoother, gets on plane faster, etc..) Then only downside is prop selection and god forbid you do touch bottom with them it gets expensive in a hurry.

If someone said those are negative attributes, they are mistaken.

RD

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
I have always liked the Essex boats, they look great and always seem to ride really well. and RD there are a lot of comments on RDP that seem to just get said....and it ain't always nice...guess we just get used to it. :rolleyes

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have always liked the Essex boats, they look great and always seem to ride really well. and RD there are a lot of comments on RDP that seem to just get said....and it ain't always nice...guess we just get used to it. :rolleyes

Oh I'm sure there is.. I think people think I read every single thread on this website, and I know every single thing going on. There's so much that goes through here a day it would be impossible. We do try our best to make it a positive website / experience instead of negative and just a bunch of people talking shit like the boards in the past. I've gone way out of my way to do so point of fact.

That said, in this case if someone said those things are bad things, then I'd question what they think are good things.. LOL Those are all things you would want in a smaller vee bottom. LOL To say otherwise is ignorant / misinformed etc..

RD

Rajobigguy

Reaction score

You can get a B3 in X or XR configuration that will handle well over 500 HP especially in a smaller boat.

milkmoney

Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate to own a Essex , seems like a decent deal if it all checks out. I owned a laser 24 blade for 7 years, ( made by Essex ). Even though RD said they were lesser of a boat. I was happy with how my boat handled and ride etc. I don't think anything Essex/ laser builds is a bad boat , everything done in house , except trailer ...

[emoji106][emoji41][emoji202]

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
Oh I'm sure there is.. I think people think I read every single thread on this website, and I know every single thing going on. There's so much that goes through here a day it would be impossible. We do try our best to make it a positive website / experience instead of negative and just a bunch of people talking shit like the boards in the past. I've gone way out of my way to do so point of fact.

That said, in this case if someone said those things are bad things, then I'd question what they think are good things.. LOL Those are all things you would want in a smaller vee bottom. LOL To say otherwise is ignorant / misinformed etc..

RD

All good RD, i was just sayin' and I dont read to far into things, and im just "here for a good time Mang" and the fantastic boating content :p

Essexive G's

Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate to own a Essex , seems like a decent deal if it all checks out. I owned a laser 24 blade for 7 years, ( made by Essex ). Even though RD said they were lesser of a boat. I was happy with how my boat handled and ride etc. I don't think anything Essex/ laser builds is a bad boat , everything done in house , except trailer ...

Faria gauges instead of Gaffrig. I think the hardware was a little less such as pop up cleats, bow nav. Lights, and I think the hull was laid a little lighter. I think they said that the upholstery was a little lighter weight also.

milkmoney

Reaction score
Faria gauges instead of Gaffrig. I think the hardware was a little less such as pop up cleats, bow nav. Lights, and I think the hull was laid a little lighter. I think they said that the upholstery was a little lighter weight also.

Yes agree with all but the pop up cleats. I had those , I was ok with the few things that were lesser, also was price and the boat was built by the same exact people building the Essex line, my stuff was through bolted also , and my boat handled everything I threw at it.

Got caught in a storm in the southern basin with 28eminator ( Dave ) we had 4' foot chop, we took off , I trimmed up and hit 55 mph and got on top of the chop and skimmed across and stayed right with a 28 eliminator , was very pleased at the performance of my sled.
Is it the best , hell no , but a good product IMO [emoji106][emoji106][emoji202]

traquer

Reaction score
That is a great deal. I love my Essex 21. Make sure it has trim tabs!! Maybe it's just because of the big block but my boat is heavy in the rear and the nose loves to fly. Great for hauling ass but 95% of the time I'm going 35-50ish and I'm on the tabs to push the nose down to smooth things out. Rides amazingly well.

BTW a friend has a procharged and built big block Essex Sterling and I've ridden in it going 90 GPS. Felt great at speed and he's probably got the fastest Essex 21 but I don't think he's a member on here. His name is Chris if you see him on the river in Bullhead or Mohave get outta the way lol

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Yes agree with all but the pop up cleats. I had those , I was ok with the few things that were lesser, also was price and the boat was built by the same exact people building the Essex line, my stuff was through bolted also , and my boat handled everything I threw at it.

Got caught in a storm in the southern basin with 28eminator ( Dave ) we had 4' foot chop, we took off , I trimmed up and hit 55 mph and got on top of the chop and skimmed across and stayed right with a 28 eliminator , was very pleased at the performance of my sled.
Is it the best , hell no , but a good product IMO [emoji106][emoji106][emoji202]

It was the manufacturer that said it was "lesser." Both Ultra and Essex came out with two "cheaper" brands. Ultra had the Lightning Brand, and Essex had the "Laser" Brand. If I remember right the interior was single stitch instead of double or triple stitch, quality of components were just cheaper, gel patterns were "stock" patterns that you could pick from.. Just little shit like that, but it allowed them to offer them at a cheaper price than one of their normal builds. They were both still great boats.

RD

Essexive G's

Reaction score
... someone my wife would love to hang out with.... classy!... I like your style.

It was not me my friend. I'm a hotdog, hamburger kind of guy when camping. Towards the end we were eating Chicken Cordon Bleu, fresh shrimp Ceviche and stuff like that. We were making ice runs in the morning for 30 bags and 40 bags at night.When it ended up with 17 tents, 7 easy ups, 6 propane stoves, with only 4 boats to haul shit in and out, the wine rack was the straw that broke this camels back. Traded it all in for a mobile, golf cart, and a ball that floats 25' from the shore.