WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Whats it worth? Funco....

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Funco Gen II thats been upgraded to a Gen III (I guess suspension setup, wing, etc)
King Shocks
Jeff Fields built bus transaxle with 8 rib case
EFI turbo 2332 (reliable.....been together lightly used for 3 seasons, well maintained).
No trailer
5 seater
Car is in good shape, always garaged, comes with dirt tires and paddles.

What say ye? Value?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Funco Gen II thats been upgraded to a Gen III (I guess suspension setup, wing, etc)
King Shocks
Jeff Fields built bus transaxle with 8 rib case
EFI turbo 2332 (reliable.....been together lightly used for 3 seasons, well maintained).
No trailer
5 seater
Car is in good shape, always garaged, comes with dirt tires and paddles.

What say ye? Value?

Funco3.jpg Funco2.jpg Funco1.jpg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Everyone says the Funco's look like chit...

I guess that's cause they only see the back of em, as they are running away from them in the dunes. :thumbup:

I have no clue on the value, but I know there Are people on here who will.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
The Gen II still brings good money. They're awesome duning cars with the airbag setup, I just couldn't ever get into the looks. I think it's a love it or hate it deal.

The motor package being the weak link I'd probably say in the $15k-18k range.

I think most people want Honda, Subaru, or better for the power plant.

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
Love funcos! They are arguably the best dune buggy built. I'm not a frame fan of the 3 ' s and older but the 4 5 and 6 ' s are bad ass. They are not dual purpose but go down the hard pack like anything else. Nothing can touch them in the dunes IMO. As far as worth... my buddy just sold his 3 with 450 turbo Subaru for 32k about 7 months ago. I'd bet this 2 with that motor is worth 17 or less only cause its a 2. Upgrades don't change the fact that it's a 2.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
The Gen II still brings good money. They're awesome duning cars with the airbag setup, I just couldn't ever get into the looks. I think it's a love it or hate it deal.

The motor package being the weak link I'd probably say in the $15k-18k range.

I think most people want Honda, Subaru, or better for the power plant.

We used to own a Johnny's mid travel, mid engine 4 seat with a 200 hp VW and when those Funco's came out the value of our car completely hit the skids. That's how state of the art they were at the time.

I feel you nailed the value.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Love funcos! They are arguably the best dune buggy built. I'm not a frame fan of the 3 ' s and older but the 4 5 and 6 ' s are bad ass. They are not dual purpose but go down the hard pack like anything else. Nothing can touch them in the dunes IMO. As far as worth... my buddy just sold his 3 with 450 turbo Subaru for 32k about 7 months ago. I'd bet this 2 with that motor is worth 17 or less only cause its a 2. Upgrades don't change the fact that it's a 2.

He says it has been upgraded to "3" specs but was originally a "2". What are the differences? I can get it for 12k, Think i'd have trouble cashing out if neccessary? I used to be a dune guy, looking to get back into it for the family camping aspect

McRib

Reaction score
He says it has been upgraded to "3" specs but was originally a "2". What are the differences? I can get it for 12k, Think i'd have trouble cashing out if neccessary? I used to be a dune guy, looking to get back into it for the family camping aspect

Every Gen had a cage change. That's how u tell them apart. The suspension is pretty much the same cause they have used the same air bag shocks forever. The only thing that changes really is load and travel. Other differences are blind and lil add ons here and there. The 3 has bigger tubing than the 2 and 1 too if I remember right. The 4 5 6 got away from the lil shoe box look but the same suspension for the most part. It's the main thing that sets funco from the other buggies out there. 12k is not a horrible price after the phone calls I just made. It's definitely top of the used sale mark I've been told by my friends that own them. Maybe offer 9 or 10? What year is it? Mid to late 90's? If you bye if for 12 and run it for a couple of seasons and take care of it you won't make ur investment back if that's what your wondering.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

I think $12k is a good price. I see them sell all over the place.

The key to Funco's is they have a cult following. Guys are loyal to them. Like has been mentioned, they are the best duning cars out there, but the looks are a little extreme for some people.

At $12k I'd buy it and I guarantee I could sell it at that or possibly more in a year or two. The key is finding a loyal Funco guy. This is a good price for the guy who has the stacker trailer and would want his and her Funco's. There's a shit ton of those folks.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score

It's a big car for a norm. aspirated VW but the fuel injection is nice and I bet its fairly reliable.

The drivetrain has basic technology, bus box, etc. It's not a 100 mph dune car but it will bring smiles none the less.

Because of what I just said the cost is less but its also easy to own. No "big HP reliability" hurdles.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I think it's a 10-12K car

At 12K you could have a bunch of fun but I don't know if I would want to try and sell it off at that same price. It's going to take a special buyer.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I would price it under the assumption that the VW motor is on borrowed time and will have to be completely gone through, or the smarter choice, replaced with a JDM Subi. Those VW's just cannot compare with the longevity of a water cooled new technology motor. Their days are long gone now.

Meaney77

Reaction score

I would keep looking...

I would also start looking at dual sport cars, no need to limit yourself to sand dunes only. Glamis with a family is no easy 4-5 hour drive anymore takes much more time to prep a car, pack, shop, etc.... there are some cool spots much closer, I would look for something that could be used in the dirt as well as the dunes.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
I would say the closer to 10K the better. if very clean, and healthy... 12K is a decent deal.

Meaney77

Reaction score
They are arguably the best dune buggy built. .

Like has been mentioned, they are the best duning cars out there.

Times have changed, these cars might have been the best back in their day in the 90's. There are plenty of buggy manufactures in today's market that would shit all over a Funco today.

McRib

Reaction score
Times have changed, these cars might have been the best back in their day in the 90's. There are plenty of buggy manufactures in today's market that would shit all over a Funco today.

Sure. For twice the price.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

Not in the dunes. These cars do "everything" really well. They're biggest buyer right now are the rich bastards in the Middle East. Those guys don't buy cheap.

They won't win any races at Horsepower Wars or the drags, but...

If you want a car that you can dune in for 8 hours and not feel like you worked your ass off or need to get out and stretch... The Funco's do it.

Ever spent a few hours in a full body car in the dunes? You're wiped out from hauling ass and bending your neck trying to see over a hood or a dune.

These cars have zero blind spots and your sitting with the best view in the house. When we dune we do it hard. I've got arm pump after a long day and my body is tense. These cars make the ride just a little more enjoyable.

They are not the $350k Lambo... They are the high end caddies.

I just couldn't ever get over the looks, but the look actually has a purpose.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
As an owner of a 2332 in a Baja, I would never consider that powerplant for a 4 or 5 seater fulltime sandcar. However the car itself is badass. Bar none.

For 10-12K you are in. If I had the jing, I would buy it, run it for a bit, take the motor/trans out in the summertime for a spare for the Baja and build a 400-500 HP Subie. and never look back.

Take it for what it is worth.

Brian

Sure. For twice the price.

Not in the dunes. These cars do "everything" really well. They're biggest buyer right now are the rich bastards in the Middle East. Those guys don't buy cheap.

They won't win any races at Horsepower Wars or the drags, but...

If you want a car that you can dune in for 8 hours and not feel like you worked your ass off or need to get out and stretch... The Funco's do it.

Ever spent a few hours in a full body car in the dunes? You're wiped out from hauling ass and bending your neck trying to see over a hood or a dune.

These cars have zero blind spots and your sitting with the best view in the house. When we dune we do it hard. I've got arm pump after a long day and my body is tense. These cars make the ride just a little more enjoyable.

They are not the $350k Lambo... They are the high end caddies.

I just couldn't ever get over the looks, but the look actually has a purpose.

Ivan Dan

Reaction score
This is Chipsters favorite car. Maybe he might be interested. :skull:D

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
As an owner of a 2332 in a Baja, I would never consider that powerplant for a 4 or 5 seater fulltime sandcar. However the car itself is badass. Bar none.

For 10-12K you are in. If I had the jing, I would buy it, run it for a bit, take the motor/trans out in the summertime for a spare for the Baja and build a 400-500 HP Subie. and never look back.

Take it for what it is worth.

Brian
It has a built 6 rib 091 trans....whats the "safe" horsepower / torque limit for that vs say a 2d mendola? Ive heard the 2D or 4D mendola still uses a VW bus style weddle ring and pinion and isnt much stronger

Hugh Jascaulk

Reaction score
While there may be cars that are faster down the drags or thru the whoops, imho not a better car in the dunes. I had the very first Gen 4 and currently own the first Gen 5. Won best in show at the last Funco Regatta. We've had a bunch of timed races on a coned off track thru the dunes, and a Funco won every single one. Do a search on the Glamisdunes EPO races, should be some video.

For a first car, to get out in the sand and have some fun, the car posted is a bargain. If you have any doubt, give Grant at Funco a call, he'd be glad to talk with you and let you know what you can expect from the buggy. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424406499.223259.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424406514.191338.jpg

McRib

Reaction score
It has a built 6 rib 091 trans....whats the "safe" horsepower / torque limit for that vs say a 2d mendola? Ive heard the 2D or 4D mendola still uses a VW bus style weddle ring and pinion and isnt much stronger

I know a guy with a mendeola that is attached to a 110 octane 550 subu. Never busted a trans in the 5 yrs he's owned it. I know a guy with LS1 power that seems to break every season. Everyone else I know has big V8 power and mendeola S4 trans. Never a breakdown. That's the electronic shifter one. BADASS!!

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

My buddy is running 300 unicorns from a Honda in a heavy ass full chromoly Baja with an 091.

It has held up in Glamis 2 years straight. He just puts an egg under his foot if he has to use reverse.

If you air them out let them free wheel like airing out a bravo. The bite is what scatters them.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
While there may be cars that are faster down the drags or thru the whoops, imho not a better car in the dunes. I had the very first Gen 4 and currently own the first Gen 5. Won best in show at the last Funco Regatta. We've had a bunch of timed races on a coned off track thru the dunes, and a Funco won every single one. Do a search on the Glamisdunes EPO races, should be some video.

For a first car, to get out in the sand and have some fun, the car posted is a bargain. If you have any doubt, give Grant at Funco a call, he'd be glad to talk with you and let you know what you can expect from the buggy. View attachment 391904 View attachment 391905

Sweet cars. That Gen 5 is awesome [emoji106]

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Found out a bit more about the car...Its actually a Gen I car, upgraded to gen 2 specs (except no power steering).
-2275 with superflo heads
-SDS efi
-Rancho 091 6 rib
-has front brakes also

Meaney77

Reaction score

I think 250 -300 hp is about max on a bus box. A Mendi uses similar internal parts but their case. Mendi also uses the same VW reverse gear which is a weak link.

Also like anything it's all in how you drive. If your out double clutching and jumping and just being hard on it, something is bound to break.

I have a buddy who has a built Baja (red and white car in some pictures I have posted in the past) it has a CB 2276 in it along with a butt stock 002 built by Jeff Fields. He hammers on the car when he knows he can. No jumps, no side stepping the clutch, etc... And he has had 3 full seasons on it with no issues.

HBCraig

Reaction score
My Uncle has a Funco. 5 seater with an aluminum Nortstar. Sick ride. It was been a very reliable car. I have driven it and it handles great.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score

Yes exactly, but the difference is the Mindy CASE is much stronger. Bug cases will SPLIT in half across the diff section in any horsepower bug on paddles, or sandcar, because of the torque of the pinion trying to climb the ring. The Bus trans solves this in a bug, but in a sandcar, everything is so much heavier.

The Mindy case is rigid enough for 500 HP, pretty much what a normal setup turboed Subie can dish out.

For an 091 I would be scared with a Subie. Not saying it can't be done, but a little too hard of leave off the clutch, or on the gas on a landing, the differential is done, faster with a decent paddle. Just that fast.

A 2d is the next step, but you also should use a bigger CVs, at least Bus.

You will still kill the front bearing over time in the Mindy box, so you should plan on going through that once a season if you drive it hard, or two, if you don't go a lot and you are gentle. It is just a cheap freshen up and good preventative maintainance.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Found out a bit more about the car...Its actually a Gen I car, upgraded to gen 2 specs (except no power steering).
-2275 with superflo heads
-SDS efi
-Rancho 091 6 rib
-has front brakes also

Gen 0, gen 4, gen 9. I wouldn't get caught up in the details, do you like the looks of the car? Gil builds nice stuff. He has been doing it forever.

Funco builds a nice car, bar none. For 10-12 K who cares, you won't get hurt when you sell it. Cheap fun.

For that money, if you change your mind, let me know. Imathinkin I need a truckster.

Brian

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I've had several funcos. Most hate the looks, but if you like dune hard instead of showing off at the hill and drags then there is nothing better. It's all about the turn brake, turning the steering wheel is rarely needed. This was my gen 4 with a stroked LS1 and 5 speed sequential.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424455268.239063.jpg