WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What's it worth?

Just Ducky

Reaction score
I have a 454 chevy rotating assembly that came out of my Schiada many years ago. The motor dropped an exhaust valve that trashed the piston and block. The thing is I want to get some opinions on what damage may have been done as far as the crank and rods .The motor basically locked up at idle right as I was backing it off the trailer. So now I have a chevy forged steel crank p/n 3967416 and rods of unknown make (have to dig them out and check) along with balancer and billet flywheel all internally balanced together basically an entire balanced bottom end minus one piston.Also have the Merlin iron square port heads. The combustion chamber in the cylinder that dropped the valve has very slight nicks in it that can be cleaned up I think.Anyway I was hanging on to these parts thinking. I would build another motor for the boat but we are in the process of shedding crap and prepping to move to havasu so I need to get stuff out of garage.So I want some advice.I want to sell this stuff but I want to make sure nothing got tweaked when it locked up.Any opinions from the experts? Thanks in advance.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Get the crank magged and checked for straightness. Can't say anything about the rods without seeing them or having some idea what they are. For example, stock 3/8 bolt rods are worth very little, since by the time you check them out, resize with new bolts, you can almost buy new aftermarket rods with capscrew bolts that are better. Are you sure about the internal balancing? That's very expensive on a 7416 crank that is externally balanced from GM. "Slight nicks" in a combustion chamber might be run, but your definition of "slight" may differ from others. Block should get checked out by a shop to help determine value, including magnaflux to make sure the cylinder didn't get cracked. Used set of 7 pistons is difficult to sell in my book.

In short, if you "want to make sure nothing got tweaked", the parts should go to a machine shop and be checked.

Just Ducky

Reaction score
Thanks Barry. Guess I will see what a machine shop will charge to check out the crank and if it's ok figure out what it's worth.