WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Whats the best Exhaust.

Carman

Reaction score
Im a new owner of the Challenger SRT8 2010. I have listen to video clips and Im not sure which exhaust to buy. I want a aggressive sound but nothing to much. Im not going to be driving the car every day. Which exhaust would be the best (ref) .

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Magnaflow.

Had a customer build a car with a complete Mangna flow systems. He brought it to me to fire up the engine for the first time. I got it running and timed and all that, and had it ready to run when get showed up at the shop...

He gets in, fires it up and says...

This thing sounds like SHIT!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't have agreed more.

He drove it straight to the muffler shop. Pretty sure he went with Flowmaster.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Had a customer build a car with a complete Mangna flow systems. He brought it to me to fire up the engine for the first time. I got it running and timed and all that, and had it ready to run when get showed up at the shop...

He gets in, fires it up and says...

This thing sounds like SHIT!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't have agreed more.

He drove it straight to the muffler shop. Pretty sure he went with Flowmaster.

Custom built or off the shelf? Also sound is very subjective. To one ear it sounds amazing. To another like shit.

Everything plays a role in the system. Especially sound. Pipe diameter, length, exit, and muffler case shape and size.

Straight through perf core will always outflow chambered mufflers. Especially Flowmaster. They are the absolute worst flowing mufflers.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Custom built or off the shelf? Also sound is very subjective. To one ear it sounds amazing. To another like shit.

Everything plays a role in the system. Especially sound. Pipe diameter, length, exit, and muffler case shape and size.

Straight through perf core will always outflow chambered mufflers. Especially Flowmaster. They are the absolute worst flowing mufflers.

I'll take which exhaust system Sounds best for 1000.00 Alex...

Engine Masters did an episode awhile back where they Hammed on a set of headers to see how small they could crimp them, before it made a noticable difference on the dyno.

Watch that episode and get back to me on flow...

😂

DoughBallin14

Reaction score
Cherrybomb glass packs! Fresh out of the 1997 JcWhitney catalog! 👍🏽
Had good luck with Gibson stuff. Used their round shorty mufflers for early morning late night neighborhood drives and electric cutout straight pipe for all the other times.

kiethco

Reaction score
Magnaflow, please. I'm so over the wanna be stock cars with open pipes. The cities are really gonna start cracking down, it's too much just for the LAM factor.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I'll take which exhaust system Sounds best for 1000.00 Alex...

Engine Masters did an episode awhile back where they Hammed on a set of headers to see how small they could crimp them, before it made a noticable difference on the dyno.

Watch that episode and get back to me on flow...

😂

He's not talking header primary tubes, he is talking cat back exhaust systems. They have done many exhaust tests on Engine Masters. Crimps, 90 degree transitions, and smaller pipes in an exhaust system kill power. Header primary tubes are less sensitive.

They just did a test recently on header collector extensions and made 30lb ft to the wheels with an 18 inch tube bolted to the header flange on the dyno.

They also just did a test on various types of headers - zoomies, long tubes, lakes pipes, shorties. and fender exit.. Huge gains or losses to be had.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Im a new owner of the Challenger SRT8 2010. I have listen to video clips and Im not sure which exhaust to buy. I want a aggressive sound but nothing to much. Im not going to be driving the car every day. Which exhaust would be the best (ref) .

This is highly subjective.. I'd go on You Tube and listen to a bunch of systems. It is hard to find a system that sounds how you want outside without a resonance at some cruising RPM inside. Straight through systems will nearly always have some resonance, but it is really RPM/load/car dependant. You dont want it overly boomy or loud at 70 MPH in high gear in the car :)

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
He's not talking header primary tubes, he is talking cat back exhaust systems. They have done many exhaust tests on Engine Masters. Crimps, 90 degree transitions, and smaller pipes in an exhaust system kill power. Header primary tubes are less sensitive.

They just did a test recently on header collector extensions and made 30lb ft to the wheels with an 18 inch tube bolted to the header flange on the dyno.

They also just did a test on various types of headers - zoomies, long tubes, lakes pipes, shorties. and fender exit.. Huge gains or losses to be had.

Define HUGE. 😁

If you Really wanted the best performance, I'd probably go Borla. But get out your Damm pocket book.

Some of the late model cars I've heard running around lately sound like a freaking Honda on steroids. It's embarrassing!

It's hard to get anything to sound decent with a cat back system. It's tough.

To me though, the Flowmasters always sound best. I wouldn't wanna run something that sounds like a beehive just to get 20, or even 40 more HP.

No way the seat of your pants will notice that slight difference in HP. I really doubt the torque would be effected at all.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Define HUGE. 😁

If you Really wanted the best performance, I'd probably go Borla. But get out your Damm pocket book.

Some of the late model cars I've heard running around lately sound like a freaking Honda on steroids. It's embarrassing!

It's hard to get anything to sound decent with a cat back system. It's tough.

To me though, the Flowmasters always sound best. I wouldn't wanna run something that sounds like a beehive just to get 20, or even 40 more HP.

No way the seat of your pants will notice that slight difference in HP. I really doubt the torque would be effected at all.

20-40 lb ft of torque across the meat of the curve or 20 peak HP is huge for a couple pipes that form different shapes. People pay thousands for that kind of gain.

I've never really liked Flowmasters except on SBFs with H pipes. All they really do is make whatever sound the car already makes louder and boomier. But that is all subjective. Now if we are talking a catback system Flowmaster vs a Magnaflow, yea it is probably an unnoticeable difference in power one way or the other.

The problem these days is that catbacks are $1000 so people just cut the mufflers off, that is why they sound like shit. I'm looking at you V6 Charger/Challenger and V6 Mustang owners.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
As my senior year auto shop teacher always said "stock is hip".

the older I get, the more I agree with him.