WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What's the BIG difference (cab plate)

Blownbillybob

Reaction score
So I've noticed 2 different style plates 1 bolts to bottom of boat and the other is hinged at bottle of transom??

I know operation is the same but which 1 is better?

Can a hinged plate be converted 2 the other style?

Thanks

Messed up on title!!!! Dang phone!!!

CAV plate!!!!

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
To be mounted to the bottom there has to be a recess. Hence the use of hinged ones off the back of the boat. If you're going to do it, doing the recess is the preferred way imo.

Blownbillybob

Reaction score
So I'm looking at buying a boat that has the hinged 1s

Is there a performance difference between the 2

I've seen this boat come with both styles why??

Would the boat be ordered with a different layup for the bottom mount cav plate??

Hallett vector!!! V-drive

Thanks!!!! 🤙🤙🤙

BamBam

Reaction score
There is a difference in performance between a hinged plate and a recessed plate. The recessed plate essentially bends and creates a slight hook or rocker (depending if the plate is down or up). The water tends to roll over that surface and change the handling characteristics of the boat. The hinged plates make a sharp break at the hinge and the water doesn't roll over the surface but asked to change direction forcefully. They both work, but I feel the preferred method is the recess. Sometimes if a boat was not originally built to be a v-drive it may have hinged plates. I would also venture a guess that someone may prefer hinged plates over recessed plates and spec'ed it that way.

To have recessed plates a piece of aluminum is placed in the mold and the gelcoat and fiberglass are laid over the top of the metal. When the boat is pulled out of the mold a nice recess is there for the plates. If you tried to cut a recess you would be cutting through the strength of the fiberglass and removing the thickness from the bottom. It can be done but would require more glass to be laid inside the transom and floor to compensate (not recommended).

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
There is a difference in performance between a hinged plate and a recessed plate. The recessed plate essentially bends and creates a slight hook or rocker (depending if the plate is down or up). The water tends to roll over that surface and change the handling characteristics of the boat. The hinged plates make a sharp break at the hinge and the water doesn't roll over the surface but asked to change direction forcefully. They both work, but I feel the preferred method is the recess. Sometimes if a boat was not originally built to be a v-drive it may have hinged plates. I would also venture a guess that someone may prefer hinged plates over recessed plates and spec'ed it that way.

To have recessed plates a piece of aluminum is placed in the mold and the gelcoat and fiberglass are laid over the top of the metal. When the boat is pulled out of the mold a nice recess is there for the plates. If you tried to cut a recess you would be cutting through the strength of the fiberglass and removing the thickness from the bottom. It can be done but would require more glass to be laid inside the transom and floor to compensate.

I agree. I feel like a hinged plate is similar to a trim tab where as a recessed plate is changing the shape of the bottom of the boat.

28skater

Reaction score
My Vector also came with piano hinge plates that worked well but adds drag and does not look as clean as custom recessed plates.

hallet f2 001.jpg

dec2011 074.jpg

28skater

Reaction score
When I skied behind mine you could see water shooting up between the hull and plates through the hinges. But with 1000 plus hp never notices it from the drivers seat:D

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
Water follows a 'gradual curve', and exerts 'pull or push' depending on the angle of the load and speed .

A 'hinged intersection' creates a 'tumbling motion' which is actually more drag on the stationary surface and the surface that moves .

The 'sharp intersection', creates more drag with its turbulent motion, and especially under load . (boat weight, thrust angles)

jstnoc

Reaction score
IMG_8852.jpg

Just started the recess for my plates. The outer edge was thin after straightening the bottom so we are laying more glass on the inside.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
I would go forward three or more inches .

You want TWO STAGGERED ROWS of mounting bolts, never just one .

BamBam

Reaction score

I think the full glassed in floors may limit his ability to go any further forward.

jstnoc

Reaction score

The recess is 3.75' from the transom. The transom is thin so we will be able to stagger the bolts that is the plan. The keel area is very thick up to the first stringer but past the outer stringer we went through the bottom. :yikes IMG_8925.jpg

Pulled some measurements off this 24 Schiada to copy.

IMG_1462.jpg