WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Whats the crossover-Boat & Offroad?

dirtyduner

Reaction score
I am curious as to how many people here hit the desert in the winter and the lake/river in the summer. These are the 2 main things we love to do with our family. Living in Phoenix, where we really only have 2 seasons, We are usually at the Lake or the Dunes/Desert. Just curious how many live this same kind of lifestyle? I produce 2 Podcasts also for both these markets, I thought the markets were a lot closer but realizing Boat people are a lot different than Offroad people. $$$.

Meaney77

Reaction score
1st Desert Halloween trip of the season starts tomorrow at noon! Headed out to Spangler/Randsburg area for an extended weekend. It was hard to put the boat away a few weeks ago but I am also excited to camp in the dirt, drive the car, watch the kids ride and drink beer talk smack around the camp fire!!

We boat from May to mid October. Then enjoy the desert toys from October to April.

Mototrig

Reaction score
I am curious as to how many people here hit the desert in the winter and the lake/river in the summer. These are the 2 main things we love to do with our family. Living in Phoenix, where we really only have 2 seasons, We are usually at the Lake or the Dunes/Desert. Just curious how many live this same kind of lifestyle? I produce 2 Podcasts also for both these markets, I thought the markets were a lot closer but realizing Boat people are a lot different than Offroad people. $$$.
My family and I have two seasonss: Glamis season and River season. Glamis we have a group we call Sand Family and we generally infect wash 10-14 from October March. We have about 35 people in our group ranging from sand rails to quads. My wife and I are on quads and our kids have a mini RZR 170
At the river my family and a few friends rent a couple of different waterfront houses up river from Needles bridge. One house is on Budweiser road and the other is near the Palms resort. We're on Seadoo's and generally cruise between Willow Valley and Topoc.
I live my life one Vaca at a time :cool:

jimbo5o

Reaction score
Love both, usually look forward to dune season, but got a new to me boat a month ago and already looking forward to April. 1st Glamis trip is Veterans day for us.

c_land

Reaction score
I do both. I think heading to the river is less work though. Having a house set up and just jumping in the car and leaving is way easier than loading up a bunch of shit for a desert weekend. We have been spending more time taking the rzr to the river in the wintertime.

Just got this hot rod ready for the season
IMG_7352.JPG

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure how to do both......Got rid of the desert toys and trailer years ago, now doing the boat thing. Good thing no one won the lottery, I still have a fighting chance to make it happen.

RJ65

Reaction score
We do both as well, with a few high country off-road trips mixed in during the summer. First Glamis trip is the 25th.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
We do both, but I have to say our #1 love is boating. They are both so different. We just got back from our 1st Desert Trip of the season up in Randsburg, and had a blast seeing old friends (non of them own boats) and sitting around the campfire over a few cold ones. We’re gearing up for a 4 day trip to Glamis over Veterans Day Weekend :D I really enjoy the adrenaline rush of flying over the dunes - there’s nothing like it !!!

We’re usually riding in the desert between Columbus Day thru Easter unless the weather is warm then we’re on the boat at our Happy Place in Havasu !!!

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
2A96A513-9D44-45F3-8417-B124D9CE3365.jpeg

Our desert & dunes season starts the 21st through Halloween. Usually ends around Easter but lately we’ve been off roading the summer in the Northern states.

Dumont Dunes holidays and Glamis on off days, Spangler for desert riding anytime. Spangler is super nice, no assholes, really a relaxing place to camp and ride.
We have 3 yfz 450’s and a X3rs.

For us off roading is much less work than boating. But that’s on me I’ve always had high maintenance boats.
That take may change. We keep a trailer in Parker at EC and will probably pontoon it for our next boat.

Last edited:

69hondo

Reaction score
We do both as well. Pretty much born and raised at the river but love playing in the dirt/sand in the winter. We boat from April until late October and then its riding season. Couple desert trips to Johnson valley coming up and then it will be Glamis.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I’m guessing 95% of the folks on this site have the same two seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3.Slow

Reaction score
We do both, no set dates for either, just play it by ear. Last year we started desert season in September then pulled the boat back out for monster storm/rdp 10 year. We dont really go all out for either one, which allows us to do both.
The desert is easier because it's only 1.5 hr drive to el mirage and we have the toy hauler, the river is a longer drive plus hotel, but well worth it.
20171124_110728.jpg

20180623_133207.jpg

We do both seasons with the same small group though, hard to tell, but both pictures have all the same people.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I do both as well. Right now I enjoy boating season more as it’s 7 months vs 5 of desert season.

We used to do Glamis but our group has disbanded and I now have no one to camp with :(. Part of that reason was due to the police activity. I got pulled over 4 times in one weekend for stupid things. Like not using a turn signal on wash road, they couldn’t see my lisencse plate lights (they worked just fine) I was in rail that was reported stolen (they were looking for a green rail with blue flames, I was in a black rail with blue flames) and have a glass bottle of Jack Daniels out on the table. After that we said no more Glamis.

We have been since off-roading in havasu which is tons of fun, but I miss the camping aspect and people watching of Glamis! Hopefully with a new toyhauler ;) we can make both of these happen again.

Boat cost more money then off-roading.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Family has been going to Ocotillo Wells for almost 20 years now. I'm probably in the minority on this site where we have always spent more time in the desert than we did at the river. Desert trips always ended up being easier to pull off and more affordable.

I am actually looking for new riding places to try as I start to build my own family and own traditions. I love Ocotillo Wells, I see it as my second home, but going there for so long we have done everything there and done it again. Any suggestions?

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Family has been going to Ocotillo Wells for almost 20 years now. I'm probably in the minority on this site where we have always spent more time in the desert than we did at the river. Desert trips always ended up being easier to pull off and more affordable.

I am actually looking for new riding places to try as I start to build my own family and own traditions. I love Ocotillo Wells, I see it as my second home, but going there for so long we have done everything there and done it again. Any suggestions?
Glamis? Havasu is awesome too, miles and miles of trails with lots of stops to see cool shit (cabins, Wells, mines, ruins, ect

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
We now do both. I never started the off road thing because of the initial expense - Truck, trailer, toys. Having a place in Havasu allows us to do both, and get more out of our house there. I think the drive to Havasu to off road is longer by an hour or so, but I don't have to tow, and the costs of the stay are already covered.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
A few have shown interest in a RDP Thanksgiving trip at Spangler.
Our kids have spread out across the USA or go to the X’s so it’s just the wife and I.
If anyone is still up for it.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
We do it all, but we dont have "seasons". We boat all year and offroad all year. We mix it up between the boat, the rock crawler, desert racing, dirt bikes, and we always spend a week or two in Colorado "trail riding" (we dont call it offroading since you dont need 4wd).

However, we do 60% of our boating in the summer 40% winter, vice versa for the race truck, rock crawler, bikes, etc.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Glamis? Havasu is awesome too, miles and miles of trails with lots of stops to see cool shit (cabins, Wells, mines, ruins, ect

I need to figure out a way to try glamis and see if we like it before I go all in on that program (paddles etc) but it sounds like a great place.

I've been told that the trails around Havasu are really rocky? True? We are still on bikes and have people of varying skill level in our group. Seems like the few rocky trails that are in OW always bring out complaints from the peanut gallery

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I need to figure out a way to try glamis and see if we like it before I go all in on that program (paddles etc) but it sounds like a great place.

I've been told that the trails around Havasu are really rocky? True? We are still on bikes and have people of varying skill level in our group. Seems like the few rocky trails that are in OW always bring out complaints from the peanut gallery
It’s a little bit of everything, rocks, sand washes, hard pack dirt. Rock crawling if your into that. Hill climbs. There are places for novice riders too

D19

Reaction score
Both. First desert trip is next weekend, however I go out to the river all year round. I just really enjoy being there.

The desert/camping deal is much more work than throwing a pair of flip flops, board shorts and a toothbrush in a bag (river), but the desert is a more relaxing program in the end. I eat the best when we camp. The meals our group puts together are usually first class. I love going for a ride then coming back to the RV for a nap and movie. Dirt and sand have their differences; It's difficult for me to choose one over the other. I love cruising around Glamis in flip flops / barefoot all day. It's like being at the beach.

I love both for different reasons. I'd say a large percentage of dirt/sand people I meet are river/lake people.

IMG_4407.JPG

IMG_4847.JPG

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I’m guessing 95% of the folks on this site have the same two seasons.

It's gonna be at 85% or above for sure.. Every single person I know does both.

RD

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
My sand rail ran 247 mph yesterday at Glamis with 79 psi of boost. I don’t have a pic or video to prove it but special thanks to bullshittingracingengines.com.

But where did you get the helmets for your 3 wolves?

JayBreww

Reaction score
First desert trip is usually Thanksgiving and ends around March, and boat from April-October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boatnam2

Reaction score
Did both last weekend and probably both next week in parker, but after that boating a little maybe turkey weekend and just run the RZR until march when I get the boat out again.

Meaney77

Reaction score
A few have shown interest in a RDP Thanksgiving trip at Spangler.

Would be fun sometime, we actually booked a peninsula at Pirates Cove this year. This is a 1st for us for Thanksgiving at the river. We are bringing desert toys but the boat is only 20 minutes away if the weather permits!

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I do both as well. Right now I enjoy boating season more as it’s 7 months vs 5 of desert season.

We used to do Glamis but our group has disbanded and I now have no one to camp with :(. Part of that reason was due to the police activity. I got pulled over 4 times in one weekend for stupid things. Like not using a turn signal on wash road, they couldn’t see my lisencse plate lights (they worked just fine) I was in rail that was reported stolen (they were looking for a green rail with blue flames, I was in a black rail with blue flames) and have a glass bottle of Jack Daniels out on the table. After that we said no more Glamis.

We have been since off-roading in havasu which is tons of fun, but I miss the camping aspect and people watching of Glamis! Hopefully with a new toyhauler ;) we can make both of these happen again.

Boat cost more money then off-roading.
Its been a good 6-7 years since I've been to glamis, none of our friends go anymore either. Prior to that we'd make several trips each season.
Have done Ocotillo Wells a couple times though not the same thrill for me.
Now that my manx is together and geared for the dunes I'm hoping to give glamis a shot again.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Done both as long as I can remember...

Although mid summer, I'm usually in the Sierra's. Not a fan of the heat anymore.

Mid winter I always snow skied, but I haven't done that for awhile!

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
For the past couple of years we have done some exit surveys of visitors to the Havasu Sand-Water-RV Expo. Although it is a rather limited sampling, the results have been relatively consistent -- about 75% of the respondents say they do both, off-roading and boating. And approximately 40% say they do all three -- off-roading, boating and RVing.

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
We do both as well. Just got into the desert thing a lot more this last year with buying a trailer Before it was just Parker but now with the trailer we have opened up a lot more time to do different things in the dirt. It will still be a good majority in Parker.

My 1st desert trip is tomorrow in Parker. We will still be boating on Thanksgiving as well.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Desert and River are the two seasons our family participates in.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Both for our household too. Used to do the Glamis thing, but put that aside in 2000ish. I was 21 making a house payment, and buddies started building long travels...1k per shock, nope! Have a herd of quads now, and hardpack around Topock. We use the river place as our desert place. I'd like to pickup an old beam car SCU, or 1st gen Big5, but out of garage space in Topock. I guess it also becomes shooting season...go through a lot more brass in the winter months.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
We tried to do both for about 5 years, but finally just decided we are boat people. Nothing against offroading, but I think we're just to old to enjoy eating dirt all day.:p

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
We tried to do both for about 5 years, but finally just decided we are boat people. Nothing against offroading, but I think we're just to old to enjoy eating dirt all day.:p

I agree. I’ve owned a lot of off road toys. I get all excited to get one. Spend stupid money on them. And then end up never using them. I can’t stand eating dirt. Digging it out of my eyes, nose, ears and lungs. I hate the smell of it on my clothes. It’s just not for me. That being said I want a Canam. Lol.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I agree. I’ve owned a lot of off road toys. I get all excited to get one. Spend stupid money on them. And then end up never using them. I can’t stand eating dirt. Digging it out of my eyes, nose, ears and lungs. I hate the smell of it on my clothes. It’s just not for me. That being said I want a Canam. Lol.

Couldn't agree more, a love hate relationship.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score

Just make sure you're always in front!

Rondog4405

Reaction score
I used to do the full glamis season for years and years when i was younger runnin banshees. Now a have a pad in parker and endless riding trails at the end of my street. So..iam looking at a rhino tomorrow to keep us busy when we arent on the boat. Just gotta find a trailer to get it to my place in ontario. :D

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Halloween is when the dirt toys come out. April is when the Boat comes out. There might be a week at the start of each season to get our shit together, but after that it's on! My wallet gets no rest

AJ Hoffman

Reaction score
We do both, just put the boat in storage last wknd an headed out to glamis for holloween/camp rzr. Be out around wash 14!

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
We do both. I do not overnight Glamis but will go out there once or twice a season for the day. Most of my off roading is in Havasu. We enjoy Jeep, UTV, shooting and even mountain biking in desert. I have been spending more time in Havasu and will probably continue to do so.

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score

Trona/Spangler Hills/Randsburg is great. Dove Springs/Jawbone. Rasor Road.

Last edited:

Albert

Reaction score
We do both as as well, mostly ride in Ocotillo and in Parker off Shea rd. Just got the new toy complete no trips yet.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Always have done both glamis and the river. But we are going to take a break from Glamis for a season or 2. Selling the sand rail and may pick up a ranger crew to use at the river for a while however it’s really hard to see videos of glamis and not want to get out there.

bigriver48

Aloha mr hand
Reaction score
Been doing both for a while now , just bought a house in parker this year, will be doing both seasons at the river, boating in Big River, off roading Parker, Havasu and some Big River.
IMG_2437.JPG
IMG_2228.JPG