WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What's the latest on Solar????

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Not to mention the nightmare of trying to work around panels if you have a roof leak.

My solar is on the south side of my roof. My roof was 20 years old so I tore off the south side and installed a new roof before I hand Andy's guys do my install. One of the advantages of solar on the roof is keeping the sun off a good portion of my roof. The brackets that hold the panels go through new 30 lb felt and are now shaded from the sun. Not concerned about leaks but I was also proactive knowing installing solar on an old roof was a bad idea.

BasilHayden

Reaction score
Unfortunately not at all, in fact much more. I have to build a structure for a ground mount. In our region that means a foundation inspection, trench inspection, concrete pour with pumper etc more steel for structure. We are one of the bigger ground mount contractors in our region, but its greatly discouraged unless you are looking at a substantial system. Our average ground mount is close to 70 panels, with a minimum of 40 to be considered. Last year we had 6 ground mounts of more than 100 panels. As I recall I posted a pic of our 160 panel ground mount at an estate in Ranch Santa Fe. Im currently working of 2 systems of more than 300 panels. There are some amazing properties out there behind the walls.

BasilHayden

Reaction score
I paid mine off before selling the house. Buyers just got a free solar system

We just tore it off for the buyer and reinstalled after she had her roof done. I didnt want to do that roof due to distance from Escondido, and frankly was a bit difficult to work with, but she is back up and running as of a couple weeks ago.

I shake my head when we tell folks you know you really need a roof, "Oh no, my home inspector said its just fine". Sure that 35 year tile roof is fine, that paper is pristine until after you have a crew of guys walking around. Or was it maybe already brittle as hell and we told you the roof needed to be addressed. Just cant help some folks. If my salesman misses something like that and we find out at install, then I eat the extra labor for R&R, but if I tell you and you decline, you can be sure to see that full cost for Remove and Replace in addition to the roof price.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Speaking of Palomar Solar.....

Lets say you have a panel that is producing less than it should?

You give them a call they get the [panel warrantied and a tech comes out and replaces the faulty panel no questions asked.

Easy peezy. ..I have been beyond happy with my Palomar Solar experience.
ss.jpg

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
When I was looking at houses 2 years ago in Arizona, some had solar and realtors said they made the sale hard... Pay market value for the house and add solar payment would disqualify buyers. What I learned is the solar panels have a life span and by the time you paid off the panels they are at the end of their life. What you save in electrical covers the solar payment. So years later you have broken even on the panels. They cut holes in the roof to mount the panels... that adds maintenance and potential for damage. If a leak because of the panels cost $2000 to repair the panels just cost $2000 more vs. not having them. You're not saving money.
If you can get panels for free or half price it's worth it. I would never put them on my roof as they are ugly but would put them on top a shed or shade structure. FWIW my average electric bill for a 1400 sq.ft. house in Az. is $95 a month. APS averages the payments after the first year.

Lot of wrong information in this post...

BasilHayden

Reaction score
When I was looking at houses 2 years ago in Arizona, some had solar and realtors said they made the sale hard... Pay market value for the house and add solar payment would disqualify buyers. What I learned is the solar panels have a life span and by the time you paid off the panels they are at the end of their life. What you save in electrical covers the solar payment. So years later you have broken even on the panels. They cut holes in the roof to mount the panels... that adds maintenance and potential for damage. If a leak because of the panels cost $2000 to repair the panels just cost $2000 more vs. not having them. You're not saving money.
If you can get panels for free or half price it's worth it. I would never put them on my roof as they are ugly but would put them on top a shed or shade structure. FWIW my average electric bill for a 1400 sq.ft. house in Az. is $95 a month. APS averages the payments after the first year.

Might be a reason I still put up with California. Your $95 in AZ would be more than $400 in CA. And the system is paid for in roughly 5 years. You are also referring to crap systems with leases as opposed to solar systems owned by the homeowner. Leases make a house tough to sell. Owned systems make a house much easier to sell in most cases as long as you can show what you actually own, even better if your installer and equipment manufacturers are still around to back up any warranties.

I get it there are horror stories in this industry, maybe a reason why my customers are so vocal in their support of us after the job has been done. I am doing a minor repair today for an inmate who sold their home. 1 of 30 plus panels is underperforming. Because of the per panel monitoring we can both see it and we will replace with a new panel at no charge to said inmate. Sure I have to do a site visit but LG will give me a panel, if it were the microinverter, enphase would do the same. In the meantime the rest of the system has been working very nicely for years also meaning this wasnt an emergency.

BasilHayden

Reaction score
Speaking of Palomar Solar.....

Lets say you have a panel that is producing less than it should?

You give them a call they get the [panel warrantied and a tech comes out and replaces the faulty panel no questions asked.

Easy peezy. ..I have been beyond happy with my Palomar Solar experience. View attachment 1002417
Haha, sorry it took longer than planned, I really had planned to get this done last month, but we are slammed. As mentioned not an emergency, but this is what 4 or 5 years later and still taking care of our customers, amazing.

I am thankful for most all of our customers

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Lot of wrong information in this post...

Absolutely

My LG panels are warrantied for 25 years.

My installation looks great and due to my roofline you can't even see them un less you were looking. What's funny is i still have door to door solar guys show up and try and sell me solar. I love walking them outside and telling them I'm golden.

Solar was a huge win for me on a 11 year buy it lowered my electric payment $50 a month and a i got a large tax refund that i used for all new hvac that made my whole program more efficient.

My house is about to close escrow and the solar is paid for and i can tell you it helped with the appraisal and selling price for sure.

The area I'm moving to in Utah has some of the cheapest power costs in the nation so even though im a supporter it just doesent maker sense there.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Haha, sorry it took longer than planned, I really had planned to get this done last month, but we are slammed. As mentioned not an emergency, but this is what 4 or 5 years later and still taking care of our customers, amazing.

I am thankful for most all of our customers

I think we did it late 16 or 17. All i know is we haven't had an electrical bill since...About the best thing i ever did to this house. Thanks for your honest and to the point sales technique :):)

BasilHayden

Reaction score
Nice to be able to check production with the included app....

View attachment 1002422
This right there is the most important thing we sell, we are committed that each and every panel we sell you matters. Most everyone else is selling a generalized production number, that when you look at their fine print means nothing and at most they are committing to have 90% of the system producing as planned. If i sell you 16 panels then 16 panels need to be doing their job, if you buy 50 panels then all 50 should work. If 1 panel is down 30%, then we have a problem and that problem will be fixed, even though the systems production is already at more than 100% of what you were originally quoted. That accountability is why the equipment and our reputation mean so much to me.

But if you dont research the company and the equipment sold, you will get what you paid for.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
We do roofs, Maybe some day I will update the ad here. Its Palomar Solar and Roofing. Your solar would have been half paid for my now Vic. Just give Adam a call when ready.

View attachment 1002358
This is what I am interested in....roof and solar. I hate my ugly metal roof...lol
Can you PM me contact info? Thanks

CobraDave

Reaction score
If you get a system now are you grandfathered with SCE before they go to this NEM 3.0?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Absolutely

My LG panels are warrantied for 25 years.

My installation looks great and due to my roofline you can't even see them un less you were looking. What's funny is i still have door to door solar guys show up and try and sell me solar. I love walking them outside and telling them I'm golden.

Solar was a huge win for me on a 11 year buy it lowered my electric payment $50 a month and a i got a large tax refund that i used for all new hvac that made my whole program more efficient.

My house is about to close escrow and the solar is paid for and i can tell you it helped with the appraisal and selling price for sure.

The area I'm moving to in Utah has some of the cheapest power costs in the nation so even though im a supporter it just doesent maker sense there.

Did you post up any details of the new place? The South UT deal pops into my head several times a week. I'm nervous to make the trip up there because it might force my hand lol.

Congrats by the way.

C08H18

Reaction score
Ground mounts are over 50% of what we do... I would do a ground mount every time if we could...you can use cheaper inverters and such..no need for micro inverters or expensive panels.
@Ace in the Hole
how about using the panels to shade an RV parking area along side my shop, say 20' x 50' . Can that be done inexpensively.

BasilHayden

Reaction score
If you get a system now are you grandfathered with SCE before they go to this NEM 3.0?

If it is installed and granted permission to operate prior to the new agreement yes. I have no idea when the new NEM 3 will go into effect, best guess late this year. I currently have a 3 month backlog so contracts signed today will install by August most likely. Anyone with no backlog probably isnt worth talking to. I know some competitors will be as much as 6 months. In other words if you are curious now is the time to get off the pot as they say. The end of this year is going to be insane, we are already at peak levels and its only May.

Anyone know anyone looking for work? I am hiring all jobs. Will train labor, need electric and drafters as we speak.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Did you post up any details of the new place? The South UT deal pops into my head several times a week. I'm nervous to make the trip up there because it might force my hand lol.

Congrats by the way.

First trailer load went out last weekend.

Did our pre construction meeting yesterday and we are driving out with another load Thursday and to make selections for the house. Hoping to have permits back in 3-4 weeks and then break ground shortly after. 6-8 months build time hes a little worried to quote the 6 months as getting product is an issue.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
If it is installed and granted permission to operate prior to the new agreement yes. I have no idea when the new NEM 3 will go into effect, best guess late this year. I currently have a 3 month backlog so contracts signed today will install by August most likely. Anyone with no backlog probably isnt worth talking to. I know some competitors will be as much as 6 months. In other words if you are curious now is the time to get off the pot as they say. The end of this year is going to be insane, we are already at peak levels and its only May.

Anyone know anyone looking for work? I am hiring all jobs. Will train labor, need electric and drafters as we speak.

Do the people that are buying my house stay grandfathered in with SCE since the system has been on the house of rso long or how does that work?

Tpltrbl303

Reaction score
SCE has been much more than creeping, and SDGE is flat out of control. Some folks just keep thinking if they wait the time will get better. Newsflash, the best time has passed for years but moving forward today is still much better than not.

You want a fair real answer call us, if you want to be lied to call any of the nationals. I will not be the cheapest you call, if you want a Yugo put together by an incompetent installer then find the cheapest you can. EnergySage will not give you a real price, did they come to your house to see your house real conditions. They will get you the cheapest possible price and then after you sign your contract and your 3 day period expires an inspector will finally come by and write the real world change order. My team does that inspection up front, only uses quality components and is installed by a team that knows their job.

I am called on by my partners Enphase and LG to help orphaned homeowners fix systems that were installed by others, the shit I see is flat scary. I rarely have to repair my installs, though I do get called to fix the monitoring for customers who cant remember their internet password.

Batteries are definately coming. soon

This is about the truest statement I’ve ever seen. I’ve been a solar installer on the central coast for almost 15 years and the amount of “Orphaned” customers I see is scary. We get 5-6 service requests per week.

Go local and avoid companies like energy sage or nationals like
Tesla or you will be paying guys like Palomar or me to fix your system.

CobraDave

Reaction score

Thanks. I’ve been talking to Adam today. He has been really responsive. Just need a little more love to pull the trigger!

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
@Ace in the Hole
how about using the panels to shade an RV parking area along side my shop, say 20' x 50' . Can that be done inexpensively.

It really depends on a lot of factors, primarily where you are. That would be a $0.50-0.65/w adder depending on certain factors here in TX. Steel structure set in concrete piers..ive done a lot of them. Pricing may vary..like @BasilHayden was saying where he is engineering, pump trucks etc are needed. Where we are engineering is needed but a lot of what he deals with we don't which will impact pricing. It's really hard to compare one region to another because of that. If you are in his area..id recommend you call him..if you are outside of that shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to give you some numbers out of my network..I've got friends in a lot of markets.

This is very true...we always stayed 90 day or so out on install...guys that are slapping panels immediately either are shitty companies and/or not waiting for permits, interconnection agreements etc...I've seen where that leads and it isn't good. Anything under 60-90 days should raise some flags in a lot of cases. If you are on the fence and a NEM adjustment is on the horizon DO NOT WAIT...get in the install line and don't be one of the "wish I had done it sooner" people.

As of next Friday I will be "sold/bought" out of my business.... I'd be interested in a 2 week on 2 week off closer schedule. Other than that I want to spend some time with my kids this summer.

Last edited:

CobraDave

Reaction score
Holy crap! I wonder if it is retroactive or applies to new installs after Feb 22

BasilHayden

Reaction score
In most cases it will be from the point on after the bill is passed, or a specific future date. But anything can happen with these idiots running this state. NEM 3 is still being negotiated at the PUC, this bill would certainly affect it.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Holy crap! I wonder if it is retroactive or applies to new installs after Feb 22

From the text of the bill...

10 years from the date that customer first received service pursuant to those tariffs.

CobraDave

Reaction score
If this passed it would not even be close to making sense.

IMG_9278.png

And retroactive my friends!

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Those of you impacted by it should reach out and get a head of it via local contractors. My FIL has been doing batteries for years in HI over their net metering BS..better to be ahead of it than behind it...ESPECIALLY while you can take a tax credit. I'm sure @BasilHayden will chime in again...

Taboma

Reaction score
The REAL Trojan horse of this bitch's (Lorena Gonzalez) bill ---
  • Adds prevailing wage for all solar installs (This is a Trojan Horse as the bill would undermine the entire job market)
Twat waffle is married to that turn coat X-Marine Fletcher.

jet496

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
Makes me want to pump the brakes.

I pumped the brakes 10 years ago after seeing an interview on the news with SDG&E about adding set fees just to have solar & other BS. If I had simply done it, it would've easily paid for itself in 5 years. Luckily we installed 56 panels, ground mount, in Feb 2016 & it's paid for itself already.

Point is, if you have high bills like we did (averaged $700 - 800 month since we have 3 air conditioners, 2 well pumps & pool pumps) then I recommend pulling the trigger no matter what news is out there. If you're only paying $150 - 200 a month then I wouldn't mess with it.

Hell, between the well & the solar, we're almost self sufficient right now. We drilled a well 20 years ago right before water went through the roof for heavy users like us but we had to pay electricity to pump it. Not anymore.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Those of you impacted by it should reach out and get a head of it via local contractors. My FIL has been doing batteries for years in HI over their net metering BS..better to be ahead of it than behind it...ESPECIALLY while you can take a tax credit. I'm sure @BasilHayden will chime in again...

Good point and even though battery technology keeps improving the cost is going to skyrocket when demand goes through the roof.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I want solar but am only paying 12 cents/kW for power currently…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
The REAL Trojan horse of this bitch's (Lorena Gonzalez) bill ---
  • Adds prevailing wage for all solar installs (This is a Trojan Horse as the bill would undermine the entire job market)
Twat waffle is married to that turn coat X-Marine Fletcher.

:oops: That will create a mess.

CobraDave

Reaction score
Looks like yesterday AB1139 failed to get the majority votes it needed. It was moved to the inactive file which means they can revisit it Jan 2022. Great news for solar customers in CA but I’m sure not the end of it.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Looks like yesterday AB1139 failed to get the majority votes it needed. It was moved to the inactive file which means they can revisit it Jan 2022. Great news for solar customers in CA but I’m sure not the end of it.

Need for the PUC to fail too!

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score

Good news.... Im on the fence...😂

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
if Adam goes out to give an estimate send him down the street to my place after

BasilHayden

Reaction score
if Adam goes out to give an estimate send him down the street to my place after

When you are ready just say and I will get someone up there. You need it, you should do it sooner than later, but...theres always something else going on. My advice Vic is to get started now so we can have you done before the end of summer. This fall is going to be crazy busy with the end of NEM2. Im already looking at a 2-3 month backlog on solar depending on the project.

Or pay the procrastination tax later. All prices are going up, you know it from your trade, mine is no different.