WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What's the latest on Solar????

Wbinder

Reaction score
Now the bugs in my head, we just bought a new old place on ten acres and I’m interested in having solar. I would like the off grid setup with the well being ran by solar and the house. I assume the standalone sole setup is cheaper than installation o the roof? Who’s the go to company for a setup like this? I’m located in the Central Valley near Fresno ca

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Now the bugs in my head, we just bought a new old place on ten acres and I’m interested in having solar. I would like the off grid setup with the well being ran by solar and the house. I assume the standalone sole setup is cheaper than installation o the roof? Who’s the go to company for a setup like this? I’m located in the Central Valley near Fresno ca

Contact @BasilHayden if he doesn't service the area, he will know someone who does.

BasilHayden

Reaction score
I can't do central California

But in general off grid is significantly more expensive than an ongrid roof mount (least expensive), though its getting doable if you have the wallet to pay for it.

Give a shout out to
Tpltrbl303 he is closer to you and may be able to help.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I can't do central California

But in general off grid is significantly more expensive than an ongrid roof mount (least expensive), though its getting doable if you have the wallet to pay for it.

Give a shout out to
Tpltrbl303 he is closer to you and may be able to help.

Why is the on grid/off grid PV array mounts any different in price?.. the panels are the same?... You must be referring to the mounting structure itself, since the roof is already there and the ground mount needs to be built?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Why is the on grid/off grid PV array mounts any different in price?.. the panels are the same?... You must be referring to the mounting structure itself, since the roof is already there and the ground mount needs to be built?

I think it's because of the inverter equipment, and probably overall system size to an extent, you don't have the grid to buffer shock loads. Also batteries for night time.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I think it's because of the inverter equipment, and probably overall system size to an extent, you don't have the grid to buffer shock loads.

and batteries!... but you get full retail price for the power since you use every watt!

mesquito_creek

Reaction score

Does the existing new/old place already have electric service and a meter etc?

BasilHayden

Reaction score
I think it's because of the inverter equipment, and probably overall system size to an extent, you don't have the grid to buffer shock loads. Also batteries for night time.
Good Answer.

Maybe I misread the question
Roof mount is cheapest in general because yes, its already there we just attach to it.
Ground Mount is more expensive because we get to first build a structure and then we get to install the solar
Off grid is very expensive due to mostly batteries, but Racey you are partly correct, if you wanted to live normal off grid I would want plenty of solar to charge and to power the house when sun is up, and a large battery bank to hold power when the sun is down or weather is uncooperative.

A number of our Rancho Santa fe estates that are getting batteries are 1 not designed up front for a back up scenario, and 2 they frankly have no desire to camp. They want it all. OK it will be a big check but it can be done, kind of. Currently backing up a home that will in effect have four different battery systems each feading a different 200A load panel in the house all charged with the 100 panel ground mount we installed last year. We are not backing up the pool/pool house 150A, and 2 of the 5 ton AC's, but the rest of the house will be up. Lets just say it wasnt long ago the cost of the solar/battery system here would have bought a nice house in the suburbs.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
My off grid solar to run a 50amp park model trailer is doing pretty much everything I want it to, but my cost factor was a new electric service vs off grid solar... so far I am miles ahead with off grid solar because of the expense of a new meter and electric service. So @Wbinder has to figure those parts for his 10 acre property. Hopefully he already has electric and can factor that into his decision. When you start working on this acreage type properties, the cost to get 500 feet or even longer distances to connect the grid will have you look hard at off grid solar!

I am hauling more base material than I could have imagined... Those long set back driveways seem really nice when you come from the suburbs, but cost per foot to grade, compact and haul in base material will blow your mind... Before you know it you have 10,000 dollar plus dirt drives just to get from the street to the house.

Wbinder

Reaction score
Whoa this thread got away from me. Our house and two Wells both have power to them already along with meters. Luckily our house and everything thing else is located right by our incoming power from the grid. Our house isnt very large around 1500 sqft with one ac unit and gas appliances. Our residential well is a small 1hp pump that I plan on adding a 2500 gallon storage tank with booster pump to. Our ag well is is in a rebuild phase and will Proably be a 10hp submersible pump. Our electric bill right now in the summer at it’s highest was $450. I don’t know anything about any of the solar companies and feel like most of them are a scam. Thanks for all your input here

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Gave a serious look to solar about 5 years ago. At that time, a good system- sorry, don’t remember the specifics, but decent size for an average house and using non- China panels with individual inverters was going to run around 25k. Looks like the price has gone way up, rough ass guesstimate 40k+. My current power bill for 2600 sq ft and just as much garage plus a pool is under 200/mo (AZ) so I don’t see it being worth it if I’m looking at 12+ years for break even. That might change after I add AC to my RV+ 3 car garage. Original quote was for a smaller house- but with a similar electrical usage. Only way I see it being possibly worth it is if we add an electric car for DD duties. If my prices are way off, let me know. Not many outages at my place here in PHX. Can a power wall be added to a non- tesla system? Not letting them touch my house.