WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Whats the longest you've gone without a boat?

Carrera205

Reaction score
I sold my boat last fall anticipating picking up something newer before the start of the season. The used market is pretty crazy right now and with 2 new babies it seems like taking a break might be in the forecast for me. Thinking of waiting until my Harley is paid off in a few years and buying something more expensive since I'll free up some money monthly. I've got 20k set aside for a boat purchase but I like the feeling of having it in the bank haha. Its killing me tho I just wana be waist deep with some cold bud lights, stay out all day and come back in when the sun is almost set. Whats the longest you've gone boatless?

Reactions: DWC

PlanB

Reaction score
I sold my first DCB in 96 and did not get another one until 99 because of work (I had no time to use it). Seemed like a lot longer than it actually was. If I were you I would wait a little bit and see what happens in the boat market. We are looking to either add a second boat or replace the one we have now, not sure yet, but I am watching the market right now to see how it goes.

Riverryder

Reaction score
wait these people are smoking with the prices... i have always wondered how people come up with theses numbers they are trying to fetch for boats...

this is how i imagine it(hallet)
1990 hallet 1500 hrs
nada guides = 6000
guy once told me nice boat +4500
i wipe it down once a month +1500
changed the oil 2 seasons ago +1000
tires are 4 years old= new tires last year +1000
has 4 speakers( 2 works, 2 are ripped) +2500
thru hull exhaust(from 4 owners ago) +1500

post on cl
19k firm i know what i got!! no trades

haha

HPBoats83

Reaction score
I’m in the middle of it right now, got rid of my boat in 2014 to try the off-road RZR thing as my kids were really young but with boat prices the way they are, I can’t afford to get into a new one. Also, because of the kids, I’m struggling to decide which kind of boat I would even want to buy.

#toyless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
I bought my first boat in 78 and have always had a least one boat (as many as 4 at one time ) since then until 2015, figured i would have another boat within a year, i hate not having a boat, and i've been tempted to just go buy something to cruise around but end up deciding to wait until i get what i really want

Riverryder

Reaction score
@HPBoats83 why did you sell your boat cause your kids are young? my kids are 7(boy) 3(girl) my son wants to a rzr so bad. but its hotter more months then it is cold in vegas.
i sold my dream boat for a kid friendly boat and hated every second of it! so i sold it now looking for another one.

E4L

Reaction score
Sold mine in October 2015 and bought one in October 2019. Too long now I can’t boat cause this corona shit [emoji1634]

DWC

Reaction score
Since the first one in 1993 I have not been without so far I hope to keep it that way.
Same program but since 2000ish. Don’t plan on being without one but then again didn’t plan on spending 6 weeks in my house.

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
Luckily never been boat-less since I graced this world with my presence. My grandparents and parents had boats. I bought my first around 10-11 with saved up money bday and chores cash. -just a little fishing boat but it was mine. Since then, flat bottom, tunnel hull, pontoon, jet skis and now cabin cruisers.

HPBoats83

Reaction score
@HPBoats83 why did you sell your boat cause your kids are young? my kids are 7(boy) 3(girl) my son wants to a rzr so bad. but its hotter more months then it is cold in vegas.
i sold my dream boat for a kid friendly boat and hated every second of it! so i sold it now looking for another one.

My kids were born in 2010 and 2012 so having them that young in a 30’ deep V closed bow when it was 120* didn’t seem the smartest even with a bimini. We did it a few times but.....

The RZR is something we generally ride in the winter so we didn’t have the heat to worry about.

dribble

Reaction score
I got my first boat at 31. So I went 31 years without a boat.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Grew up on a 35 Viking and 42 Bertram in Dana Point. Had Seadoos for the river. Shared a jet boat from 2013 to May 2019. Not having a river boat doesn't bug me at all. I am looking for the right Whaler... I do miss the sport fishers and the ocean. It was always fun being out in the ocean. A lot of times we went out fishing and all we came back with was just a nice boat ride.

EPL

Reaction score
I purchased my first boat in 1975 and have always had atleast one boat since then !! My family has always had a boat so I have never really been boatless at any time in my life !!

Sherpa

Reaction score
I bought my first boat when I was 12....

And still have it..

I'm 58 now. And currently own 4 boats.

So I've never actually been without a boat..

Sherpa

SoCalDave

Reaction score
1976 to 1987 and July 2019 to present. I'll be back...😁

Done-it-again

Reaction score
wait these people are smoking with the prices... i have always wondered how people come up with theses numbers they are trying to fetch for boats...

this is how i imagine it(hallet)
1990 hallet 1500 hrs
nada guides = 6000
guy once told me nice boat +4500
i wipe it down once a month +1500
changed the oil 2 seasons ago +1000
tires are 4 years old= new tires last year +1000
has 4 speakers( 2 works, 2 are ripped) +2500
thru hull exhaust(from 4 owners ago) +1500

post on cl
19k firm i know what i got!! no trades

haha

Why bring hallett owners in this? But if you want a holy grail you got to pay. $$$$

Us Hallett owners are not normal. Lol.

jetur

Reaction score
I was hooked from a small kid and bought my first boat at 18, then upgraded every few yrs. Sold my boat in "10" to afford Rugrats. Come to find out diapers were way cheaper than filling up a 30' deep v. Lol. Got another boat in "16".

Honestly, if you are just getting going with the kids I would wait. You won't be able to use it as much until they get older.

Riverryder

Reaction score
Why bring hallett owners in this? But if you want a holy grail you got to pay. $$$$

Us Hallett owners are not normal. Lol.

Your comment is why I brought you guys in it! Haha

Yes halletts are nice but come on now! Some halletts that are 20 years old are going for what a new build cost with same power(newer tech)...

Either way someone needs to put the pipe down and sell for what is should be sold for. I’m ok payin little mark up but not double..

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
2005-2008 were boatless

2020-??? Sold our baby last month

Down to 2 cars and a Road King, feels great! Riding the bike more now.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Bought my first boat at 18. Have had a boat or 2 since. Have 2 now. One is for sale but with the current situation dought it will sell and don't mind keeping it. It is perfect family boat for watersports but I can't justify selling my other boat and only having the watersports boat. Seats 11 and has the merc 6.2 . Was trying to get $28500. Plan to get new vinyl graphics and polish the tower and list for $33500 20200219_103623.jpg

Carrera205

Reaction score
I’m in the middle of it right now, got rid of my boat in 2014 to try the off-road RZR thing as my kids were really young but with boat prices the way they are, I can’t afford to get into a new one. Also, because of the kids, I’m struggling to decide which kind of boat I would even want to buy.

#toyless

This is me too. I’m leaning towards a 21 jet open bow. Provably start them on the lower river where it’s a little more calm

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
Boatless. Wow. Yeah I was boatless for 6 hours once. Life felt empty during that time, just ask my wife, kids, employer, dog and mechanic. I felt much better 6 hours later. I just want to thank my new boat for pulling me out of that rough time in my life.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
6 months in 26 years of boat ownership.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Keep the $20k in the bank or invest it in the stock market wisely!

Sounds like you have kids, finance a cheap pontoon for about $20-25k with an outboard 150hp or greater.

Carrera205

Reaction score
Keep the $20k in the bank or invest it in the stock market wisely!

Sounds like you have kids, finance a cheap pontoon for about $20-25k with an outboard 150hp or greater.
Oh no I'm not ready for the toon life. Agree on keeping the cash in the bank tho.

oldschool

Reaction score
This is me too. I’m leaning towards a 21 jet open bow. Provably start them on the lower river where it’s a little more calm
How about an open bow v drive. Just like an open bow jet, but better.

hallett3

Reaction score
13 years . Divorce kicked my ass. Broke ass moe foe

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
4 days.

Sold our first boat, wife was so pissed we brought home another one 4 days later....

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I sold my boat last fall anticipating picking up something newer before the start of the season. The used market is pretty crazy right now and with 2 new babies it seems like taking a break might be in the forecast for me. Thinking of waiting until my Harley is paid off in a few years and buying something more expensive since I'll free up some money monthly. I've got 20k set aside for a boat purchase but I like the feeling of having it in the bank haha. Its killing me tho I just wana be waist deep with some cold bud lights, stay out all day and come back in when the sun is almost set. Whats the longest you've gone boatless?
Come out rent a boat for a weekend get wet, wait for the deal. It’ll come as well the mid range used market is about to become much more realistic soon i think. You’ll get a boat that’s 35 now for 23 in a few i believe.

Advantage 1

Reaction score
Once my river 'acquaintances' started falling by the wayside... 2 deaths, 3 jailed, divorces, marriages and some having babies, it was time to buy... first boat in 2001 then divorce, so sold the boat in 2006. Bought my current boat in 2010. So... 4 years :rolleyes:

Carrera205

Reaction score
A clean open bow was just posted in the classifieds. Time to hit the lower river!
I saw that one already it’s super clean literally exactly what I want but I just don’t know how much I’ll get to use it with the current baby situation. That’s my only reason for hesitation

DLC

Reaction score
I got my 1st boat at 46

but
I had jet ski’s and friends with boats.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Your comment is why I brought you guys in it! Haha

Yes halletts are nice but come on now! Some halletts that are 20 years old are going for what a new build cost with same power(newer tech)...

Either way someone needs to put the pipe down and sell for what is should be sold for. I’m ok payin little mark up but not double..

I'll have to look at my 240 purchase price from 97 and see. I should have it from the file of papers I received when I purchased it...... See, only Hallett owner keep those rerecords and pass them to new buyers.......that's worth 5k....

So whats a 97' 240 OB with 502 and 320 hrs worth? 7/10 as the flooring could be replaced with the carpet, no banging stereo either and actually pretty shitty. lol

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I'll have to look at my 240 purchase price from 97 and see. I should have it from the file of papers I received when I purchased it...... See, only Hallett owner keep those rerecords and pass them to new buyers.......that's worth 5k....

So whats a 97' 240 OB with 502 and 320 hrs worth? 7/10 as the flooring could be replaced with the carpet, no banging stereo either and actually pretty shitty. lol

Not true, I have a receipt for every penny I spent on my Mustang since I was 16. Same for Excursion and every boat I've ever owned. New owners get the copies, I keep the originals. I can even recite every single one of my old license plate numbers and my old CA DL # off the top of my head too.