• New Monterey M4/M6 (if it would fit)

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • New Domin8er 22/25 Deck

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • New Shockwave 22 Deck

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Used Conquest Topcat

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • New 24-27 V Hull (Cobra/Shockwave/Lavey Craft/Essex/Nordic/Advantage)

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other

Votes: 11 23.4%

• Total voters

DanG

Reaction score
Looking for some help from your experience. Recently purchased a home in havasu and looking to upgrade our boat in the next year. With today's prices on boats I want to make sure I am 100% happy for a long time with my purchase.

Here is my dilemma. Our new place has a 7' height restriction on the garage door. It's 35' deep, but I have to get it through the door and I am not interested in storing outside or paying for storage. So, it can not be higher than 7' sitting on the trailer. That makes me think you have to go performance boat.

Here is a bit about us and what we like to do. Wife and I are in our 40's with kids in their 20's plus a couple small/medium dogs. We like to have a good time and have room to be comfortable on the boat for everyone. We also like to do a little wake boarding/tubing, etc. We enjoy the lake, chill in the channel, but also like to go up to Topock and Pirates so spend a lot of time on the river as well.

Budget is <$100k but I am also cheap and will cringe at dropping $200 in gas for a day on the water. Speed is also not as important as comfort. Yes, I like the Tritoons, but don't think it would fit.

Please let me know what you would recommend. Any information on clearance height if you have a recommendation would be awesome as well.

Thanks, Dan

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
Most of the 28ft deckboats will fit once you cut down the ladder and drop it by adjusting the torsion bars on the trailer. You will need smaller tires.

RodnJen

Reaction score
Essex 24’ valor. The 27’ is great but may be a little tall for your garage. Either will do everything you want to do.

DanG

Reaction score
That's a beauty. There are a couple great looking Top Cats out there and no matter what I look at, I always come back to them. My concern is the wake boarding and fuel with such a beast....But F'it right, it doesn't get any more bad ass than floating in one of these.

Unfortunately I am not financially ready to pull the trigger for a few more months and I am sure this one along with others will be gone. But could seriously see the Conquest as the right choice.

sintax

Reaction score
22' shockwave deck with an outboard. If you are heading south of parker get the ditch pump and pay at the pump.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
That 7 ft door will be the tuff one .
26 ft cobra might be close
Same as with most decks
But for sure there 23 ft will roll right in

riverroyal

Reaction score
My kids wake boarded behind a magic and conquest. No problem. The 496ho is not bad on gas either. My outboard verado wide open is worse.

DanG

Reaction score
My kids wake boarded behind a magic and conquest. No problem. The 496ho is not bad on gas either. My outboard verado wide open is worse.

That’s what I need to hear :) thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCDave

Reaction score
25 Shockwave Tremor. Walk thru open bow or cuddy open bow.

Big enough for the lake but fine on the river.

Lot of interior room for a 25. Plenty of freeboard to keep the family and dogs safe.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind when looking at boats is if it's close, there could be some modifications done to the trailer to drop it a couple inches. You can gain a few inches just by going smaller on the tires and if it's living in Havasu..... No big deal, as long as you don't have a huge angle on the driveway which would also play a big factor in height of boat on trailer to fit.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Don’t buy anything under 26’ unless it comes with kidney belts. Or you decide to only boat on weekdays. 496ho or 525 should push all you need. Nothing carbureted. 100k will give you plenty of options. First decide if you want V bottom or a deck boat then youll get better suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DanG

Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind when looking at boats is if it's close, there could be some modifications done to the trailer to drop it a couple inches. You can gain a few inches just by going smaller on the tires and if it's living in Havasu..... No big deal, as long as you don't have a huge angle on the driveway which would also play a big factor in height of boat on trailer to fit.

Will certainly keep that in mind. Driveway is flat, so I’m lucky there.

DanG

Reaction score
Don’t buy anything under 26’ unless it comes with kidney belts. Or you decide to only boat on weekdays. 496ho or 525 should push all you need. Nothing carbureted. 100k will give you plenty of options. First decide if you want V bottom or a deck boat then youll get better suggestions.

I’m leaning towards deck boat but was concerned on the little wakeboarding we do and how that would be. Also thinking that with a deck you have to stay 26+ for ride quality versus a V bottom would be fine at 24.

Thanks for the input.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I’m leaning towards deck boat but was concerned on the little wakeboarding we do and how that would be. Also thinking that with a deck you have to stay 26+ for ride quality versus a V bottom would be fine at 24.

Thanks for the input.

The only 24 i would run would be a lavey 24 Nuera, its a big 24 and takes the bigger water like most 26’. IMO youll get beat up in any other 24.

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
Damn Daniel. This definetely DOES NOT check any boxes for you. But that won't matter. Cause this is really about you and your needs. Like the need for a bad ass blown river cruiser, built by Howard. This boat is Notta Schiada.

Travel back in time (like the '80s). Visualize yourself cruising the Parker strip jamming some Van Halen, or Milli Vanilli if that's your thing. The rumpity rump of a blown BBC chevy. The warm wind gently whipping across your face. I can see it. Can you? If you dare, and want to see what you don't need........check this out https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/1988-howard-river-cruiser.209118/#post-3523895

and welcome to the boards.

fastenuff3

Reaction score

Thanks for the input.

my Hallett 290s mid cabin goes right in a 7 foot door with about 2 inches of clearance on a extreme trailer with 15s

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
A Nordic Rage with a WTOB and a Merc 8.2l HO.

DanG

Reaction score
Damn Daniel. This definetely DOES NOT check any boxes for you. But that won't matter. Cause this is really about you and your needs. Like the need for a bad ass blown river cruiser, built by Howard. This boat is Notta Schiada.

Travel back in time (like the '80s). Visualize yourself cruising the Parker strip jamming some Van Halen, or Milli Vanilli if that's your thing. The rumpity rump of a blown BBC chevy. The warm wind gently whipping across your face. I can see it. Can you? If you dare, and want to see what you don't need........check this out https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/1988-howard-river-cruiser.209118/#post-3523895

and welcome to the boards.

I could definitely see something like this for boat number 2 in the garage once we’re Havasu full time. Nice Howard! and thanks for the welcome.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Most of the 28ft deckboats will fit once you cut down the ladder and drop it by adjusting the torsion bars on the trailer. You will need smaller tires.
I agree with this. A friend has a 28 Interceptor deck boat, tons of room, very functional layout. Not sure about towing/water sports, but there’s things you can do to make it better at that anyway. I don’t think it’s super tall on the trailer, should fit in a 7’ door

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I have a Classic 1971 Campbell, totally restored big enough for the River ans small enough for beautiful lakes, room enough for the family and Dogs, No Computer problems , Just simple Reliable boat.

randycorson

Reaction score
I sell new Liberator tunnel boats. 21-30ft. I sell alot of the 21-22 footers. New with 300R V8's run 68-76k on the trailer. They run 111-113 with the 300R. I have several in stock and am working on 4 more. My website is Liberatorpowerboats.com

Here's one I'm doing now.
attachment.php

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a Howard 255 VTX would check most of your boxes, even the small block version is amazing.

IMG_8849.jpg

River Dirt 2

Brummett 21
Reaction score
That's a beauty. There are a couple great looking Top Cats out there and no matter what I look at, I always come back to them. My concern is the wake boarding and fuel with such a beast....But F'it right, it doesn't get any more bad ass than floating in one of these.

Unfortunately I am not financially ready to pull the trigger for a few more months and I am sure this one along with others will be gone. But could seriously see the Conquest as the right choice.

Come out to Havasu and take a look at ours, perfect family boat. Spent most it’s life pulling tubes and wake boarders.
Only reason this one is for sale is we are currently building 2 new ones just like it.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure you can get one under 100k though. That would definitely be worth a call to Howard though.

The small block is close, and really easy on gas if you're OK with a 65 mph to speed.

DanG

Reaction score
I think a Howard 255 VTX would check most of your boxes, even the small block version is amazing.

View attachment 834896
Would love a Howard, their quality is at the top. I think the 255 VTX does check all the right boxes. From what I see, it looks like they can also have the walk off the back and large back porch looks perfect. I'm thinking new would be out of my price range, but worth looking into as I'm good with 65 top. Thanks for the recommendation.

DanG

Reaction score
Come out to Havasu and take a look at ours, perfect family boat. Spent most it’s life pulling tubes and wake boarders.
Only reason this one is for sale is we are currently building 2 new ones just like it.
Got a couple months until we'll be back out to Havasu. Damn snow birds wont leave until March.....Never again, it's torture not being able to use our place. If this is still available in the spring, we would definitely like to come check it out.