WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What's the scoop! (DOG FOOD RECOMMENDATIONS)..

Bear Down

Reaction score
Wanted to get some feed back on brand suggestions for large breed dogs (60-80 lbs). Not looking to feed my dog gourmet food that cost as much to feed me, but not shy about spending more for a higher grade bag of dry food. I've always used Kirkland Brand, which I changed from Pedigree. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Our giant breed Newfoundland thrived on Kirkland’s lamb and also their chicken. Best to check their ingredient list. The first ingredient on the list should be a meat, in our case lamb or chicken. Make sure it’s not a grain or filler. We’d sweeten up her dry food with a couple tablespoons of canned food. Our Newf maintained a very fit and healthy weight. She never had any intestinal issues. She lived to 12 1/2. That’s an amazing run for a Newf. Average is 8-10. And after puppyhood, it was all on Kirkland’s kibble. Her kibble amounts were about the size of your fist for breakfast and dinner. She did not receive treats from the table or any other “people food”. That’s been a few years ago. Hard to say how things are now. Her only treats were Pigs Ears after her evening meal. For her, that was always a very big deal. She’d hold it in her mouth as she asked to go outside. Once outside she’d lay down and place the Pig’s Ear on her front paws and just look at it for a while. Then, she’d chow it down after first well chomping it up. BUT! Pig’s Ears from China went thru a very bad run of using terrible preservatives. We then found a US brand and paid a bunch for them. $$ well spent. Would do it again in a heart beat.

Last edited:

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I fed mine kangaroo dogfood until it was outlawed by the kiddie diddler. Now I feed them a chicken turkey mix under the HEB house brand mixed with whatever meat we ate that day. Thanksgiving they had about $10 worth of prime rib each.. They get a lot of table scraps...

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Science Diet kibble.
Wife is obsessed with the dog maintaining a healthy weight.

Na1M68C.jpg

Last edited:

nameisbond

Reaction score
I normally feed a raw diet. But lately I've been lazy and buying Wellness.

Groper

Reaction score
Diamond Brand, zero issues with coat, perfect turds ;), health or anything else were 3+ years in with this food that was recommended by the Breeder.

It's very reasonable compared to other "Grain Free" dog foods.

Nordie

Reaction score
Purina Pro Plan is all my dogs get, the breeder we go through also uses pro plan. A 34 pound bag of pro plan is around $50. We usually buy from Tractor Supply, because they are a Purina dealer. They also send out some nice email coupons every once n a while, like 50% off.

Also I would avoid the grain free food, especially for a large breed dog.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Costco and some cooked meat & fish.
Our boy gets sawed raw beef leg bone most days. The marrow is his favorite treat.

DWC

Reaction score
If my dog doesn’t like Costco food he can go hungry. He’s a dog. I’m not paying premium prices. Lol
Our last 2 dogs had cheap ass Pedigree. The jack Russell had it from meal one for 17+ years. He lived on that and pool water. My mom would always say that she was surprised he would eat dry food. Turns out that when it’s the only choice they eat it. The puppy is on pro plan. He clears out the bowl. No accidents. All good so far.

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
Purina Pro Plan with a small amount of fresh topper.

badgas

Reaction score
Costco /Kirkland Signature - Nature's Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato Formula Dog Food

Our six year old chocolate lab eats this, his breeder recommened it. He also gets fresh carrots as a treat and loves them.
He occasionally gets steak scraps and salmon skin.

Last edited:

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Our Puggle is allergic to chicken. Was on Royal Canine PV protein for years. Was just ok on it. Would still get issues with his stomach maybe twice a month. Do to the supply shortage we couldn't get Royal, so we switched him to this.

thk_wholegrain-beefdogfoodrecipe-10lb-pdp.jpg

He is 14 and hasn't had one issue since we switched him. Not to bad as far as cost. 10lb last about a month and a half. I think the cost was $59. Cheaper then the Royal Canine.

On edit
Just looked and we got the 7lb box, but can't find it a petco now. It also shows a higher price for the 4 lb. Looked at credit card and it was $64 for the 7 lb's.

Last edited:

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I have my dog on cannidae. She seems to like it.. no messy turds all over the lawn..🤣😉
We’ve been feeding this for several years now and you are correct! No mess, solid turd any dog would be proud of.😂

And, they are a local company, Corona California

MOUZER

Reaction score
PURINA ONE PLUS healthy weight w/ cup of hot water or chicken or beef broth also any meat table scraps mixed in he is a 80#er 10 yrs old
DSCN1464.JPG

Last edited:

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Apparently my dog is allergic to most everything it seems. Finally a new vet did a thorough blood test to determine allergies, previous vet "assumed" it was chicken she was allergic to which caused us to feed her, basically, everything she was allergic to.🤬 We buy some stinky ass food kibble that's salmon and sweet potatoes now.

Reactions: DWC

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Our Aussie also on Canidae "All Life Stages" Lamb and Brown rice. This mix is not grain free, chosen on purpose. However the biscuits we use during the day are. One cup in the morning and a 1/2 a cup at night keeps our 55 lb pup at a decent weight. Stools are consistent and small.
11557-1553289436_480x480.png

MissB

The Asset..
Reaction score
Acana red heritage is what my boxer gets, he doesn't tolerate poultry of any kind. Acana is the sister brand of Orjen, but has less protein, so it's easier on his tummy.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
My lab has been on Fromm Classic food his whole life, started with the puppy food, moved to adult, and just recently switched to mature adult. Just starting our golden on the Puppy as well. Not the cheapest, definitely not the most expensive. Don't fall for the grain free hype, very similar to the gluten free deal in humans. There are some dogs (and humans) who are allergic to grain, but not the majority.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Costco /Kirkland Signature - Nature's Domain

Converting from the puppy to the beef this week.

Been great so far. Not junk food but not overhyped over priced made only under a full moon, with a native American shaman dancing circles around the mixer games either.

I worked in the industry for five years in college. I have a reasonable understanding of what is needed and not needed.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
33A34D21-30A5-4A73-857C-3F47E344B84A.png
One of my dogs was getting a big ass. So now they both eat this.

WATERDOG

Eliminator Eagle Flying free in the heavens above!
Reaction score
Mine gets Pure Balance Lamb and Fava Bean. Still gaining 5 lbs a month. Labradoodle

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
We adore our dog Sebastian and have decided a few years back that we wouldn't feed him anything we wouldn't eat ourselves , Each week Rhonda cooks up a couple pounds of chicken thighs (deboned after cooking) sometimes beef heart and various K9 friendly veggies (Broccoli , green beans etc) sometimes some brown rice , additionally He gets a "6 minute" (timed) raw beef rib bone (spurs removed) every morning which he brings back the "stripped bone" to to back door when called and trades for "treat" , He's a bit heavy for his breed and age (but always has been) His teeth are perfect , coat is nice and he seems quite healthy . The food prep is simple (all done in the instapot), Hats off to Rhonda for Her commitment to do this for him

Attachments

• Resized_20211125_161252_2869.jpeg
    Resized_20211125_161252_2869.jpeg
    766.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Resized_20211117_075706_7230.jpeg
    Resized_20211117_075706_7230.jpeg
    940.3 KB · Views: 34

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
My breeder said to use Victor which has been very good and my vetinerian has said to use Royal which we have used for wet. Very happy with both.

Nordie

Reaction score
I was talking to my breeder friends a few months ago. That I remember as a teenager my dad used to feed our Dobermans gravy train, mix that stuff up with some water and they loved it.

My wife was appalled by this, and breeder friend said, "I bet your dogs lived a long time huh?" I thought about it a second and all of the Dobermans we had at those times made it to 15, 13, and 12.

Bobby_329

Reaction score
I have 2 Cane Corsos on diamond and i add rouge pet science orgins 5-in-1 to it. I figure spend a little more on keeping them healthy and avoid vet bills.

Attachments

• IMG_1638.jpg
    IMG_1638.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 27

Pesky Varmint

Reaction score
Whatever you buy just make sure you don't see: "Made in China" for any or all ingredients in it.

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score
BC6352E7-BA32-4761-ADC7-907A563FB846.jpeg
We are using Diamond for our new puppy which was recommended by the breeder. We are happy with it and it’s reasonably priced. It’s available at Tractor Supply and Amazon.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
thk_wholefoodclusters-wholegrainchicken-20lb-pdp.jpg

thk_wholefoodclusters-wholegrainchicken-20lb-pdp-back.jpg

This is what I'm currently feeding. My dog is picky AF and she actually likes this food.

boat527

Reaction score
Our old Aussie/Retriever mix was having seizures ( caused by flea meds) like clockwork for years..

We got her off regular dogfood. Used rice and proteins.

Zero grain food is all she gets now. No seizures for a couple of years now..

petie6464

Reaction score
All my dogs as puppies; Purina puppy chow, as adults Purina dog chow.

Some of these guys lived to be 16 (Staffordshire terriers)

People are gullible as morons and buy into dog foods that cost more than the food they eat.

petie6464

Reaction score
All my dogs as puppies; Purina puppy chow, as adults Purina dog chow.

Some of these guys lived to be 16 (Staffordshire terriers)

People are gullible as morons and buy into dog foods that cost more than the food they eat.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Costco Lamb for my dogs for the last 20 years. My current Lab is 98 lbs and 10 years old. I do give him beef, chicken and eggs table scraps on occasion. He likes carrots also. LOL.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
My lab has been on Fromm Classic food his whole life, started with the puppy food, moved to adult, and just recently switched to mature adult. Just starting our golden on the Puppy as well. Not the cheapest, definitely not the most expensive. Don't fall for the grain free hype, very similar to the gluten free deal in humans. There are some dogs (and humans) who are allergic to grain, but not the majority.

Fromm makes excellent dog food. Not cheap but not brutal.

We raised several generations of animals on it as well as dog sat for certain clients whose dogs LOVED it.

Never had dog refuse to eat it.
When Wife was a groomer she always had kibble snacks for the clients dogs and even the pickiest liked the Fromm kibble.

From used to have a 12-1 deal. On the freebie wed pick up a bag of the expensive "Duckenpheffer" as a treat.

We make our own food now as our shnauzer is getting older and the lightly cooked veggie chunks and turkey give her some teeth cleaning and "snap" to the food, but not the hard crunch of kibble anymore as she has a lateral crack or two now.

IMG_2371.jpeg IMG_2370.jpeg IMG_2369.jpeg IMG_2368.jpeg IMG_2367.jpeg IMG_2366.jpeg IMG_2365.jpeg IMG_2374.jpeg IMG_2373.jpeg

Last edited:

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Fromm makes excellent dog food. Not cheap but not brutal.

We raised several generations of animals on it as well as dog sat for certain clients whose dogs LOVED it.

Never had dog refuse to eat it.
When Wife was a groomer she always had kibble snacks for the clients dogs and even the pickiest liked the Fromm kibble.

From used to have a 12-1 deal. On the freebie wed pick up a bag of the expensive "Duckenpheffer" as a treat.

We make our own food now as our shnauzer is getting older and the lightly cooked veggie chunks and turkey give her some teeth cleaning and "snap" to the food, but not the hard crunch of kibble anymore as she has a lateral crack or two now.

View attachment 1072079 View attachment 1072080 View attachment 1072081 View attachment 1072082 View attachment 1072083 View attachment 1072084 View attachment 1072085 View attachment 1072090 View attachment 1072091
Yeah it's buy 11 get your 12th free. The local pet market we buy it from tracks it for us