WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What's the up and down sides to having twin motors on a toon???

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I know what the biggest down is.... the price...... you can but 3 tri toons for the price of one with two out boards.... for me.... I would like to be able to run about 45-50 and not be on pin.... I have two toons on triple axel trailers tci less than 200k... what would be the power need to cruise 50,.. and how fast do they really go??? I don't think I'd wanna ride with someone in a toon going over 60 mph...... how efficant are they???? or is this just a wallet racer thing to live in the foothills?? my 250 honda toon (coach)... will run 45, but thats all in ..... the evenrude 250 will do over 50 and will cruise 45 easy... probley in it less than 70 all in... I just think having the extra power would be nice to bump the cruise speed up.... but at what cost.... at some point, wouldn't one have to think that spending the money,, might as well get a deck boat???

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
I know what the biggest down is.... the price...... you can but 3 tri toons for the price of one with two out boards.... for me.... I would like to be able to run about 45-50 and not be on pin.... I have two toons on triple axel trailers tci less than 200k... what would be the power need to cruise 50,.. and how fast do they really go??? I don't think I'd wanna ride with someone in a toon going over 60 mph...... how efficant are they???? or is this just a wallet racer thing to live in the foothills?? my 250 honda toon (coach)... will run 45, but thats all in ..... the evenrude 250 will do over 50 and will cruise 45 easy... probley in it less than 70 all in... I just think having the extra power would be nice to bump the cruise speed up.... but at what cost.... at some point, wouldn't one have to think that spending the money,, might as well get a deck boat???
Go to bed Steve! You've got work to do in the morning!! 😁

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Go to bed Steve! You've got work to do in the morning!! 😁
shit I've been up working since before 3.... gotta get the jeep done.. got the new motor home back from freightshaker... gotta go through the roof ac and get it to perform better....but... still thinking about the two toons I have and how I wanna turn the hallett in to an open bow... keep looking... not much out there...

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
One thing to consider is the maneuverability of twin engines. You're driving a large wind sail. In windy conditions, with two engines you can counter the wind forces. With one engine you're a YouTube video of launch ramp mishaps.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
One thing to consider is the maneuverability of twin engines. You're driving a large wind sail. In windy conditions, with two engines you can counter the wind forces. With one engine you're a YouTube video of launch ramp mishaps.
^^^^ This.
I have owed and driven 24’, 28’, 32’ pontoons, multiple houseboats. Twins are way easier to maneuver. The Downside is cost, fuel, more to maintain.

TCHB

Reaction score
I have had both and I can tell you the twins drive so much better and faster if you need the speed. Turning in a small area like the channel or boat ramps the twin boat can spin around.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I always found my passengers didn't like to go that fast. I would always get the "its too windy on my hair scowl" at anything over 50. LOL

J&k beer can

Reaction score
Having a few I/o boats with power didn't want to have a slow weak toon. So we went twin 400's it launches out of the hole like bullet and gets to 60 easy.. I've had it to 65 I run smaller props cause we usually entertain folks on it.. I could get more with motors moved up(on low setting) but those speeds are fine with me...
It's a 27ft but actually 34plus with motors. friends of ours say it looks good n smooth at speed on water from there boats..

Reactions: DWC

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
I would never own a toon with a single. After owning one with twins. Maneuver ability is key.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

You have two toons on triple axle trailers..

What did ya need the third axle for?

In almost all of your boats, you change the biminis out and go with low profile flat top style. These make it more difficult to get in and out of the boat. Why wouldn’t a high top parachute style be better? From a logical standpoint they usually would be better.

As with anything there are different levels and different preferences on style, quality, performance, price..

Some people buy Civics, some people buy Bentleys..

Neither of your toons needed a triple axle on rims.. but I’m quite sure they both are in fact on rims.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
2 engine’s = a lot less likely to need a tow. Also 2X the maintenance and only 1/2 as hard on everything.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
2 engine’s = a lot less likely to need a tow. Also 2X the maintenance and only 1/2 as hard on everything.

Well it means a legit 50+ mph cruising speed. I don’t think any of these toons will cruise at 50, when they are actually loaded.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
shit I've been up working since before 3.... gotta get the jeep done.. got the new motor home back from freightshaker... gotta go through the roof ac and get it to perform better....but... still thinking about the two toons I have and how I wanna turn the hallett in to an open bow... keep looking... not much out there...

You deserve all the "Good Things" that come your way, as you sure have worked hard for them.👍

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I understand with some models the second motor reduces capacity

DLC

Reaction score
Don’t forget the LAM factor!

i wish they made a short twin in a 25! Garage is only 35 deep and a 27 won’t fit

Groper

Reaction score
A friend of mine just installed a "Bow Thruster" on his 25" Manitou

I have not heard anything yet on how it performs, too mee it's a bit pricey just learn how to drive your dam Bot'e, Boat. :rolleyes:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Yes it will I know from experience.

With ten people and coolers?

I’d bet against it. I was in a friends with a 525 loaded and that thing was really on kill barely running 50.. but we had it loaded like a refugee boat. Lol

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Got news for ya.. a 496 magic isn’t running 50 fully loaded either. You could buy a lot of older twin engine vees that would do it for 1/2 the price of the magic thst would do it though. 🤪

Unless everyone is wearing lead swimwear with a refrigerators for coolers it will run OK.

I’ve been on Magic 496 HOs with a 10-12 people aboard.. they moved out at a normal cruise speed

Hell I see endless Magics every weekend with 10+ people on them doing the same speed as I am cruising 45-50. I don’t know what power of course, but they all aren’t 525+ rigs out there.

I had 10 people in my boat before and it still did 50.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
With ten people and coolers?

I’d bet against it. I was in a friends with a 525 loaded and that thing was really on kill barely running 50.. but we had it loaded like a refugee boat. Lol
I don't have 10 friends to take anywhere but 6 a 2 coolers is max for me.