WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

When DIY is Cheaper and easier than a Warranty Claim.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Warranty work appointments are almost 2 months out and the dealer wants to keep our Toy Hauler a month on top all that.

Almost 2 tanks of fuel just to drop the Toy Hauler off then again to pick it up.
I did the math and in this case paying for parts and DIY is faster and cheaper than my zero deductible “free.”

Subwoofer puked, no longer avail from Rockford. Was able to find a cheaper exact new replacement on Amazon. I’ll use a gasket and frog skin to further protect the new speaker from water:

22BC4B04-DFE0-4A83-A9BB-673B27DAC9D8.jpeg
9CF234F5-75EC-4481-8F79-A6DA34B7A5B3.jpeg

Wet suspension and a better than “Buddy Bearing” style lube zerks did that DIY too.

One full tube. Factory rep said Lucas Red n Tacky.
Available from Bildoe here with a generous RDP discount. You'll use a lot so buy a lot.
8F1EEAA1-0EDC-4B6D-A19B-F3BDD286A9FE.jpeg
D71F080E-4B13-454D-A111-7B8E1EBD6977.jpeg

Replaced the water pump, fixed the kitchen faucet and 6 other awkward and hard to get at items - good to go.

Last edited:

HitIt

Reaction score
In my mind, the only RV repairs that you shouldn't do on your own are the ones that you can't do on your own. Sure, it will cost extra and take your time when you could have it done under warranty but:
1) It will take forever at the dealer
2) Some clown is going to be working on it
3) The dealer/mfgr is probably going to fight you on it

And, it is always a good time to upgrade :)

Meaney77

Reaction score
The most frustrating thing about buying a new RV is taking it back to fix all of the stupid shit the manufacture over looked. Like others have said every trailer/motorhome looks like it was slapped together after happy hour on a Friday afternoon.

Reactions: TPC

CLdrinker

Reaction score
It’s funny I brought this same topic up in the Forest River toy hauler Facebook page and got called an idiot. Because I said you are better off to do the repairs yourself or pay to have a 3rd party perform repairs on all but the very expensive issues.

Nobody could under stand that being without the trailer for 2-3 months plus fuel, time and headaches just are not worth getting something fixed for free.

In many cases you are money ahead to deal with it yourself. I believe this is why the services sucks so bad as they kind of hope you just go away.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
It’s funny I brought this same topic up in the Forest River toy hauler Facebook page and got called an idiot. Because I said you are better off to do the repairs yourself or pay to have a 3rd party perform repairs on all but the very expensive issues.

Nobody could under stand that being without the trailer for 2-3 months plus fuel, time and headaches just are not worth getting something fixed for free.

In many cases you are money ahead to deal with it yourself. I believe this is why the services sucks so bad as they kind of hope you just go away.

I'm convinced those guys are company shills. They work for the dealers and the MFG and the vendors. Reputation damage control and business retention.
Notice the same turds will chime in and say every problem someone posts with their RV is YOUR OWN fault.

Singleton

Reaction score
propane lines are the only things I don’t touch. Everything else I do myself.
better to learn how to fix them yourself so when they break again they don’t ruin your trip.

Had a local shop redo the entire trailer brake system (wires were rubbing and causing shorts).

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I'm convinced those guys are company shills. They work for the dealers and the MFG and the vendors. Reputation damage control and business retention.
Notice the same turds will chime in and say every problem someone posts with their RV is YOUR OWN fault.

Yup it was my lack of maintenance that caused the slides to leak. Happened the first month I owned it.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
propane lines are the only things I don’t touch. Everything else I do myself.
better to learn how to fix them yourself so when they break again they don’t ruin your trip.

Had a local shop redo the entire trailer brake system (wires were rubbing and causing shorts).
Propane lines can get pinched off when the slide outs are retracted causing the refer to shut off. An occasional problem with Grand Designs.
So if you get to your destination and the refer fault light is on and refer went warm,, check that first.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Most expensive word in the English dictionary Ross.......FREE. :) It feels good nailing that list I bet.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Fixing it yourself is much better. I bought a new Heartland Bighorn 5th wheel sight unseen except for pics. The dealer promised me they would do a complete walk thru and fix everything.. LOL. I sent the Sales Manger, service manager a very detailed email with pics. The Owner of the place called, and said. email me any parts you need or I will send a mobile RV to repair the shitty work. So, he send me a new refridge door, handles and a bunch of screws that fell off during it's delivery, 1900 mile journey . Got a $500 check to fix all of the small stuff. The dealer in Minesota was pretty solid after I called out his peeps.

riverroyal

Reaction score
It takes a minimum of a year to get the bugs out of a new rv.