WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

when the wife gives you an approval to buy a new toy...

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
ive been dropping hints that i wanted to get an older dually truck for quite some time now as im just not happy with my navigator. she's always been like "oh, yeah maybe someday" and the other day i was watching youtube videos on the tv in the living room and she said "why dont you just go buy one already?"

so its time to pitch my SUV and go on the hunt for a crew cab dually.

what are some things you have put in work for and suddenly a miracle happened?

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
fuckin panty waste for one thing.

Ask your wife what she wants to do first. :)

ka0tyk

Reaction score
no shit.. im single, never been married, no kids. Is this what marriage comes down to? according to guys at work..i should NEVER get married...

pretty much. happy wife happy life. unless you want her to take off with half your shit.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
no shit.. im single, never been married, no kids. Is this what marriage comes down to? according to guys at work..i should NEVER get married...

I'm a lucky sumbitch I guess.

I never had to ask permission and I have all kinds of shit.

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
Isn't there a bitchin 97 for sale on here?
There's a 97 and a 93. Both look amazingly clean and I'm trying my hardest to not buy one of them. Lol.

A lowered dually has been on my list of vehicles to get for a while now, but I dont think right this minute is the best time.

I can only imagine the gas mileage those get. Lol.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
There's a 97 and a 93. Both look amazingly clean and I'm trying my hardest to not buy one of them. Lol.

A lowered dually has been on my list of vehicles to get for a while now, but I dont think right this minute is the best time.

I can only imagine the gas mileage those get. Lol.
The earlier TBI GM'S had great torque but low hp and OK mileage. The Vortex GM'S typically maintained close to the same torque but bumped a good bit in hp and we're better on gas a bit due to the port fuel injection. And I think the interiors in the 95-99 (? Not sure what year they switched body styles in the HD's) were drastically better.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I must be lucky
My wife wants / asks for ZERO say on toys, cars, boats....etc. If I say spend it, we spend it. I actually ask her for input sometimes but she will most often stay out of it.

She just enjoys the ride and trusts that I make a sound financial decision, which I USUALLY do :D:thumbup:

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I must be lucky
My wife wants / asks for ZERO say on toys, cars, boats....etc. If I say spend it, we spend it. I actually ask her for input sometimes but she will most often stay out of it.

She just enjoys the ride and trusts that I make a sound financial decision, which I USUALLY do :D:thumbup:

Yes sir.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
hell. I've learned that you buy the wife a toy she will give you a free pass to do whatever.

She was driving a tahoe and wanted a benz, got that for her and know a rzr is sitting in my garage along with a travel trailer to boot. no questions asked.....

ka0tyk

Reaction score
The earlier TBI GM'S had great torque but low hp and OK mileage. The Vortex GM'S typically maintained close to the same torque but bumped a good bit in hp and we're better on gas a bit due to the port fuel injection. And I think the interiors in the 95-99 (? Not sure what year they switched body styles in the HD's) were drastically better.

all great information. ive always heard that GM TBI was extremely poor.

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
I had a 99 Silverado that I bought new when I started working for the company I currently am with. It basically resembled the 97 dually that is on here.

The mileage might not be that bad afterall. :hmm

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
all great information. ive always heard that GM TBI was extremely poor.
They definitely aren't the best fuel injection system but they are pretty reliable and since the motors have pretty low compression and lower RPM (which is one reason for the reduced HP) they run forever and are super simple. I had a '93 Yukon 2 door that I wish I still had. It ran like a top and never broke down even with almost 200k on the original drive train that had never been rebuilt.

236eagledave

Reaction score
I bought my wife a Hondo Sprint Flat for her birthday one year.

She was pissed, and didn't want it...so..... lucky me. :)

Brian

Well played!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441219579.764232.jpg

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I must be lucky

What kinda math wizardry are you using, that makes toys/cars/boats "sound financial decisions"? :)

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
A few years ago (about the time we were just married and joined our accounts) I asked her if I could by a "project motorcycle". She responds with, "why would you ask me like I'm you mother" She's right, as long as its within reason, our budget or inst another female I'm allowed to purchase it.

I recently bought an impractical car for my daily driver because I wanted it. Showed it to her online and said I'm buying this. All she said was, "cool"

Now, unfortunately this does go both ways. I guess we are putting in new hardwood floors....

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
What kinda math wizardry are you using, that makes toys/cars/boats "sound financial decisions"? :)
As sound as they can be...

Buy 2-3 year old vehicles that have minimal depreciation and low operating costs, with strong resale. We drive alot.

Buy boats in 2009 when the market was tanked

Used RV.....would like a newer one but cant justify the expense for how little we use it.

I drive a Volt for christ sake....[emoji1]

I always analyze what else we could spend the money on, how much impact it has on bills, and how it would impact us if we lost income for XXX amount of time. Im not impulsive, i usually do too much research tbh.

bonesfab

Reaction score
I picked up a pretty clean obs 88 crew cab dually with a broken engine to replace my 4-door fleetside that got totaled. I was already planning on a Cummins swap on the old one so I will just put it in the replacement one.. I have always wanted a lowered crew cab dually since before I could drive.. It will be a project for this winter..

Attachments

• 010 (Medium).jpg
    010 (Medium).jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 46

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score
A few years ago (about the time we were just married and joined our accounts) I asked her if I could by a "project motorcycle". She responds with, "why would you ask me like I'm you mother" She's right, as long as its within reason, our budget or inst another female I'm allowed to purchase it.

I recently bought an impractical car for my daily driver because I wanted it. Showed it to her online and said I'm buying this. All she said was, "cool"

Now, unfortunately this does go both ways. I guess we are putting in new hardwood floors....

A reasonable wife WITH hardwood floors..... :thumbup:

OH Wait, you're probably talking about something else..... ;)

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score

Yes, the interior was changed in 1996 I think. My dad had a 1996 Lowered Crew Cab.........bad ass truck but my mom had to drive it everyday and got tired of it after a year so they went back to a Suburban.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Yes, the interior was changed in 1996 I think. My dad had a 1996 Lowered Crew Cab.........bad ass truck but my mom had to drive it everyday and got tired of it after a year so they went back to a Suburban.
The interior switched in '95 and from what I've been told, the vortec motor was an option in '95 as well (at least I was told so for the 1/2 ton motors) I'm just not too sure what the latest year was for that generation of HD's. I believe it was 2000 though.

j21black

Reaction score
There was a reason when we got married 10 years ago I refused to put everything into joint checking accounts. She get's about 80% of my pay in an account, that pays all the bills and left her with spending money. I didn't want to get harassed because I spent $5 at McDonald's every day for lunch and $5 at the gas station every morning on the way to work.

She was pissed but got over it...If I want it, I generally buy it, if she knew what I spent on guns and ammo after the Newton deal she would lose her mind.

Only thing we generally argue over anymore are big expenses. This year I wanted to get rid of my 2010 Diesel and get a new one, she didn't like the idea, but it happened anyway. Basically after I said I'm going to do what I want.....

Now that she graduated and has a job as and RN, I expect most of the issues will go away as she is getting my money and has her own now too....

The boat last year was a non-issue with her. Now that I want to upgrade it already, that is an issue but I'm not in a huge hurry. I brought a prop home to test a couple weeks ago and I got read my rights...How much did you pay for it, etc....After she finally realized no money had changed hands, she said I don't care if you had bought it....Talk about being confused...

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
I jokingly mentioned one time as I was looking at an ad for a Spectra 20, that it sure would be nice to buy this for a project and sell it in a few years. To my utter surprise she was all for it. It has sat in my driveway for years untouched after the motor broke first time out. Lots of lookers but no takers even though its cheap. She doesn't suspect how much I spend on vintage dirt bikes, but would probably just roll her eyes because my kids like bikes.

I still take a lot of crap for the $1200 shot gun I got from Holy Moly for Christmas a few years back. That she was not happy about. :D

And I have been married for 24 years. Marriage has been a ton of work, and I'm sure we would have divorced if not for the kids. But now we have weathered the worst of times and life and love couldn't be better. I did marry a quality woman, it just took a while to wear down all the rough edges so that the heart shows through.

nowski

Reaction score
I've been telling the wife for several years now that I want to get a Corvette. The wife keeps telling me that I'm not old enough. She tells me on a regular basis that she saw another old guy in a Corvette. She did buy me the Hot Wheels version a couple years ago for Christmas. I asked her is that your subliminal message that the time is near???

Cray Paper

Reaction score
I jokingly mentioned one time as I was looking at an ad for a Spectra 20, that it sure would be nice to buy this for a project and sell it in a few years. To my utter surprise she was all for it. It has sat in my driveway for years untouched after the motor broke first time out. Lots of lookers but no takers even though its cheap. She doesn't suspect how much I spend on vintage dirt bikes, but would probably just roll her eyes because my kids like bikes.

I still take a lot of crap for the $1200 shot gun I got from Holy Moly for Christmas a few years back. That she was not happy about. :D

And I have been married for 24 years. Marriage has been a ton of work, and I'm sure we would have divorced if not for the kids. But now we have weathered the worst of times and life and love couldn't be better. I did marry a quality woman, it just took a while to wear down all the rough edges so that the heart shows through.

Lol, you articulated my relationship with my wife perfectly. Great person but had a ton to learn about relationships over the last 20+ years. Sometimes when the going gets ugly I think about "if I booted her or she left" and think the next guy she would be with would owe me big time.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
If your buying an old Chevy dually, go for something between 96 and 99. The TBI were pathetic, especially the 454's. Drove several example of that in the old body style crew cabs with TBI, under powered, sucked down fuel loaded or unloaded. Still remember one trip back to Sacramento for the Oakland "cow palace" boat show in 1990. The 90 CC dually was way over weight but it got 3 MPG. Started with full tanks (2x 20 gallons) and had to stop and fill up before hitting Sacramento. The truck was totally under powered versus the Ford 460 HD trucks of the period. Fords 4 speed transmissions were junk at that time so it was a crap shoot. The chevy never left anyone stranded but the Ford powered over the grapevine with any size boat much better.

I bought a brand new 89 Chevy step side 2wd with a 350 TBI. 10 years later I bought a 98 GMC with a Vortec 350. Power and fuel economy were night and day and the 98 had a much better interior and didn't have the lame gauges. Get something with a Vortec motor. Or better yet, pitch the gas motor and swap in a Dmax and Allison.

ka0tyk

Reaction score
keeping my eyes out for something like this:

10059078_200982612651.jpg

love to find something already done, but id settle for a stock one and lower it myself. ive heard horror stories with c-notches in the frame, etc. id rather not deal with bags. i do like the way those 8 to 10 lug adapters with the big rig alcoa/american force rims look.

having had SUV's is there anything registration wise with trucks? especially the 6 wheels. or is that just newer trucks where they have to have camper shells or be registered as commercial vehicles and it gets pricey?

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
If I wasn't trying to buy a house next March my wife would have no problem with buying a new toy. (Which would be a rzr Xp 1000

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
keeping my eyes out for something like this:

10059078_200982612651.jpg

love to find something already done, but id settle for a stock one and lower it myself. ive heard horror stories with c-notches in the frame, etc. id rather not deal with bags. i do like the way those 8 to 10 lug adapters with the big rig alcoa/american force rims look.

having had SUV's is there anything registration wise with trucks? especially the 6 wheels. or is that just newer trucks where they have to have camper shells or be registered as commercial vehicles and it gets pricey?

Believe it or not...I pay a few extra bucks for my 90 Ranger for that stupid ass commercial truck charge. Fuggin Cali. :rolleyes

stoker22405

Reaction score

It only comes to that if you take your balls and let her keep them in her purse.....

And this Happy Wife Happy Life saying is so retarded....Grow a pair fellas....!

MOUZER

Reaction score
get one after 94 mines a 93 old dash style but mine is real rare its the touring addition from the factory 350 chevy w/over drive gets 18 mpg pulls 18 ft boats no problem but if you have a big boat it wont pull good......
.... DSCN0317.jpg