WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

When you dont know...

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
...the difference between Lithium Ion and Lead Acid. And dont put the charger on the right setting🤷🏻‍♂️
20211205_131032.jpg
20211205_131037.jpg
20211205_131046.jpg
20211205_131057.jpg

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
could have been a lot worse. Education is expensive no matter where you get it.

It's a rzr I built for a guy and I put an auxiliary gas tank under the driver seat so relocated the battery under the hood with that smaller Li battery. He left his radio in all night and killed thr battery. Forgot the NorCo charger I provided with the build and hooked up a regular charger. When one of the guys noticed smoke coming from the car while sitting at camp that is what they found. 😳

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Had a neighbor down the road, literally won the lottery, divorced his wife, and drank everyday. One day, his house caught fire. Another neighbor busted out the living room window, because drunk guy was visible passed out on couch. He was drug out to safety, but the house was a total loss.
Firemen said the fire started where a battery charger was left on an atv. Seemed weird to me, but after seeing this, not as much!

Taboma

Reaction score
Custom application for a xp1000

He said it was on there probably 30min.

Not familiar with using Lithium batteries in vehicles, I usually just use the AGMs. With the Li-Ion requiring a different charging criteria, and the charging system in UTVs or any vehicle really, being designed for charging Lead Acid / AGM LA, do they require a vehicle charging system mod. ?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Not familiar with using Lithium batteries in vehicles, I usually just use the AGMs. With the Li-Ion requiring a different charging criteria, and the charging system in UTVs or any vehicle really, being designed for charging Lead Acid / AGM LA, do they require a vehicle charging system mod. ?

Charging system, no.

Battery charger yes, and that is likely what happened. Battery charger was set to the wrong mode, or wrong charger was used.

Taboma

Reaction score
Charging system, no.

Battery charger yes, and that is likely what happened. Battery charger was set to the wrong mode, or wrong charger was used.

So vehicle charging systems have a charging profile that's universally compatible, that's interesting. I've read that vehicle charging systems never actually fully charge a battery, only to maybe 80%, unlike battery chargers.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
So vehicle charging systems have a charging profile that's universally compatible, that's interesting. I've read that vehicle charging systems never actually fully charge a battery, only to maybe 80%, unlike battery chargers.

That is exactly why.. a car won’t overcharge a battery. A wall charger will if done incorrectly.

Lithium batteries also have controllers in them to balance and monitor the cells.

Taboma

Reaction score
That is exactly why.. a car won’t overcharge a battery. A wall charger will if done incorrectly.

Lithium batteries also have controllers in them to balance and monitor the cells.
Yes, it seems most vehicle charging systems having a profile for Lead Acid/AGM (13.9-14.1V) that is below the full charging profile of the Li-Ion at 14.4-14.6 V.

Typical internet, you can find articles that will support AGM chargers for Li-Ion and those that do not. But in a modern vehicle, it appears they're generally compatible due to the nature of their three phase AC / rectification maintaining a high frequency charge ripple in addition to the lower voltage threshold.

Anyway, I found two different articles you might find interesting, or not. I'm sure there's plenty more, I'll dig a bit more when time allows.
Only because I'm curious, never having utilized one and I suppose since my wife is involved with a Li-Ion temperature control safety device for EV vehicle batteries.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yes, it seems most vehicle charging systems having a profile for Lead Acid/AGM (13.9-14.1V) that is below the full charging profile of the Li-Ion at 14.4-14.6 V.

Typical internet, you can find articles that will support AGM chargers for Li-Ion and those that do not. But in a modern vehicle, it appears they're generally compatible due to the nature of their three phase AC / rectification maintaining a high frequency charge ripple in addition to the lower voltage threshold.

Anyway, I found two different articles you might find interesting, or not. I'm sure there's plenty more, I'll dig a bit more when time allows.
Only because I'm curious, never having utilized one and I suppose since my wife is involved with a Li-Ion temperature control safety device for EV vehicle batteries.

Good stuff. I have done a bit with Li-Ion batteries for RC cars. Smaller batteries but the charging techniques and risks are the same. The smaller RC batteries do not have on board battery management and rely on the charger for balancing and temp control.

The battery fires in RC cars happen occasionally while running, that is entertaining.

Taboma

Reaction score
Good stuff. I have done a bit with Li-Ion batteries for RC cars. Smaller batteries but the charging techniques and risks are the same. The smaller RC batteries do not have on board battery management and rely on the charger for balancing and temp control.

The battery fires in RC cars happen occasionally while running, that is entertaining.

Never messed with them, other than for my phones, cameras, all the power tools charging in my shop --- YIKES :eek:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Never messed with them, other than for my phones, cameras, all the power tools charging in my shop --- YIKES :eek:

Well these things are temp sensitive, and when you are trying to suck 40 amps out of them to make a little car go 60 MPH, they sometimes get hot and unhappy and things go wrong.

All the batteries for your phone, camera, tools, laptops, etc. are pretty low risk as a whole. slow charge, and relatively low amp output.

Taboma

Reaction score
Well these things are temp sensitive, and when you are trying to suck 40 amps out of them to make a little car go 60 MPH, they sometimes get hot and unhappy and things go wrong.

All the batteries for your phone, camera, tools, laptops, etc. are pretty low risk as a whole. slow charge, and relatively low amp output.

That's what I thought, until one day I noticed my Li-Ion Micro-Start just sitting there on the shelf, not being used or charged, was appearing very pregnant :oops:

Contacted the factory, yeah they agreed I should probably properly dispose of it -- and offered me a paltry discount on a new one. :mad:

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
My CRF 450R has a L ION battery as well as My FZ 09- light as a feather, and do require a L Ion Charger. These batteries are a special
breed, do the homework, and they will outlast your former teenage self at your first drive in:D