WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

When you don't want a Bimini, but you need the shade.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
It was 118 at Mead over the weekend and i had to boat with a customer. He had been asking about doing something like this for a while, so i finally figured i just had to pull the trigger.

Figured some of you on here may have thought about doing this same thing, so now you'll know.

Schiada Umbrella 2.jpg

Schiada Umbrella 1.jpg

As with anything, you never get to have your cake and eat it too, but after boating for a day in hot weather, and some decent wind, here's what i found

Pros:
Completely un-intrusive compared to a bimini
way easier to actually stand up in the boat
no obstructions in egress over the sides.
Floor bracket is smooth, flush with the top of the carpet, you don't ever notice it, and it's off to the side.
Stows away much easier than a bimini as the umbrella becomes a slim tube and can be put under the front of the boat out of the way

Cons:
Windy day, it will lift and suck away anything over 15mph, you could definitely put a rope through the top from the bow eye to the ski tow, and it wouldn't hinder movement much.
Other than idling you obviously have to take it down when you motoring.

Overall i like it, i'd absolutely do it again. It makes day boating much more enjoyable than having no shade, and apart from wind and having to take it down when running is better in almost every way.

Maybe i will build a nice custom umbrella with good hardware, this was just a cheapy from Lowe's, i built the mount oversized and turned a plastic bushing so if you ever lost, broke, or changed umbrellas you wouldn't be married to a specific size pole.

The mount fully sandwiches the floor.

lenmann

Reaction score
Nice deal right there. I hate the idea of drilling holes in the gunwales of a Schiada for a bimini.

BTW, that is a gorgeous boat. Got any more pics?

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
We have a family friend who used to do this with his Curtis flat... cruise and then float with the umbrella up.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Could you do a flip up latch in the floor bracket, and an attachment to the umbrella to marry them together? 2 tabs with a bolt type deal, only more elegant?

lantz

Reaction score
Great Idea!!! We already use umbrellas on shore and have a bimini, but It would be nice to have a short 6"-10" SS tube bolted to rear deck with a reinforcement plate underneath, close to hull and outta the water at speed, with a hole for a pin...if you've got a rear deck. Wifey and I sit there all the time and float. Hamster is spinning!

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Could you do a flip up latch in the floor bracket, and an attachment to the umbrella to marry them together? 2 tabs with a bolt type deal, only more elegant?

Probably, but a standard pin and socket joint is pretty hard to beat for simplicity, since this has a bushing between the umbrella and the socket it fits nice and snug, just enough tension where it is sturdy, but not enough to have to fight it in and out.

In almost every case i opt for simplicity above all else. Drop the umbrella in, lift the umbrella out. Hole depth is about 3"

The socket in the floor is essentially un noticable while the umbrella is down since you would never naturally put your foot there, but even if you did it's smooth and no higher than the heavy pile carpet. I will send it out and have it anodized grey/gunmetal this winter.