WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Where Can I Get A Good Steak?

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I hate going to these expensive places and ordering a ribeye expecting it to be awesome and it's nowhere as good as I can make at home. My son's birthday is coming up and he'll be finishing up his fire academy about the same time and he wants a good steak for dinner. I had suggested Flemings at Victoria Gardens as we had our company Christmas dinner there last year and it was pretty good. Today I happened to go online and check out their menu and saw the prices - HO REE FUK! $60-$75 for a ribeye? $12 for a baked potato? $15 for a bowl of French onion soup? What did I do? I'm seeing a $400+ meal tab for the 4 of us for dinner. It's hard to rescind the offer now.

Are there better alternatives?

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I hate going to these expensive places and ordering a ribeye expecting it to be awesome and it's nowhere as good as I can make at home. My son's birthday is coming up and he'll be finishing up his fire academy about the same time and he wants a good steak for dinner. I had suggested Flemings at Victoria Gardens as we had our company Christmas dinner there last year and it was pretty good. Today I happened to go online and check out their menu and saw the prices - HO REE FUK! $60-$75 for a ribeye? $12 for a baked potato? $15 for a bowl of French onion soup? What did I do? I'm seeing a $400+ meal tab for the 4 of us for dinner. It's hard to rescind the offer now.

Fleming is the best in the Rancho area. Look up New York grill by Ontario mills, or the Sycamore inn in Rancho. But all In all Fleming’s is still the best.

But lately been having the pork chop or the NY strip over the Ribeye. Much better I think. Their ribeye’s have gotten little on the thin side.

Last edited:

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Here in Havasu , I go to Smiths . But any good store should have Wagyu ribeye , bring it home , season it to taste and grill about 4 minutes per side , depending on heat . Yum !

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I agree cook it home and spend the difference on a nice whiskey to share with your son.

If I'm cooking a good cut at home, it is in a cast iron skillet and compound butter. Sear it on one side for about 3 minutes, flip it and put the pan in a 350 degree oven for about 6 minutes for med-rare on a healthy cut of steak. Comes out perfect.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Here in Havasu , I go to Smiths . But any good store should have Wagyu ribeye , bring it home , season it to taste and grill about 4 minutes per side , depending on heat . Yum !

I do this, get there before 3 and have the butcher cut you one. Last time got a 2 inch think porthouse, it came out fantastic.

DWC

Reaction score
Also try the Meat Cellar in Claremont. Are their once for a later lunch and it was good. The dinner steaks looked great.
Meat Cellar has some great cuts. It can get pricey in a hurry though. Their overall menu is pretty damn good also.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Here's your alternative
Give me $400 and I'll come out and cook you the best steak you've ever had
AND that's not all
I'll throw in a kegger and a dozen bottles of wine

Only time we go out for a nice dinner is when @ridebig 's kid gets married
We have one more dinner to go lol

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for the replies. It seems that the best steak will be the one I make at home.

For going out I think the Meat Cellar may be where we'll be heading.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Here's your alternative
Give me $400 and I'll come out and cook you the best steak you've ever had
AND that's not all
I'll throw in a kegger and a dozen bottles of wine

Only time we go out for a nice dinner is when @ridebig 's kid gets married
We have one more dinner to go lol

Once he is stuffed and liquored up will you take care of your customer’s wife’s needs as well? You might be on to something if you did. :looking:

BajaMike

Reaction score
Eddie V’s in Texas has great seafood and steaks...get a filet Mignon.

Last edited:
Reactions: DWC

RCDave

Reaction score
Sprinkle a little coffee grounds on the steak before you grill it. Really good!!

Bear Down

Reaction score
No joke here...

Roscos in Chino has one of the best Rib Eyes probably 14 oz $27 and it's legit quality and cooked to order perfectly....

Done it 3 times and insxratch my head why I spend $50 plus at times for less

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: DWC

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
Roscoes is down the street from me, I always have a variety of great sandwiches. I’m going to do the steak next time, shit I never saw it on menu, but didn’t look for a steak with the great food they have

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Home grilled tri-tip good bread salad beans 2-3 bottles of wine ;)

relaxalot

Reaction score
Get the gift certs from Costco... 79.00 for 100.00 save 20 percent... they already have Fleming’s and the derby.. Fleming’s in Pasadena is nicer... check out Nicks in Pasadena.. one of my favorites... good prices also

relaxalot

Reaction score
Get the gift certs from Costco... 79.00 for 100.00 save 20 percent... they already have Fleming’s and the derby.. Fleming’s in Pasadena is nicer... check out Nicks in Pasadena.. one of my favorites... good prices also
If you live out a ways take the gold line..

DWC

Reaction score
No joke here...

Roscos in Chino has one of the best Rib Eyes probably 14 oz $27 and it's legit quality and cooked to order perfectly....

Done it 3 times and insxratch my head why I spend $50 plus at times for less

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Their Prime Rib is damn good too. Roscoes is one of my favorite spots.

Ol Man

Reaction score
As previously mentioned, the Sycamore Inn in Rancho Cucamonga is an excellent choice. It is pricey, but you can't take it with you. The service is over the top good and the food excellent. As I said, it is pricey.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for the replies. It seems that the best steak will be the one I make at home.
I'm a Rib-eye/Porterhouse guy. I'm always disappointed and curse myself for paying someone else to cook an inferior steak with an inferior processes.
Steak is sacred.
If I want to eat an old boot, I'll start steak shopping at goodwill. :D

X Hoser

Reaction score

Witch Academy? Mt. SAC? Trust me, he will just enjoy your company. Flemings is great but no way I'm paying those prices! Fire up the BBQ or smoker, cook great meal and celebrate at home. It just doesn't get any better that that!

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Outback hasn’t been all that bad since it’s the same company that owns Fleming’s. For high 20’s low 30’s for a steak with sides its not bad.

But like I said. If you want great service and a nice evening out. Fleming’s will do it.

There is also Pinnacle Peaks in San Dimas for that cowboy steak and beans.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Outback hasn’t been all that bad since it’s the same company that owns Fleming’s. For high 20’s low 30’s for a steak with sides its not bad.

But like I said. If you want great service and a nice evening out. Fleming’s will do it.

There is also Pinnacle Peaks in San Dimas for that cowboy steak and beans.
Ha! I eat at Outback anywhere from 2-6 times a week. Thought about even getting a job there because employees get 50% off. I figure if I got a job washing dishes 4 hours a week it would pay me $200+ an hour. I'm not kidding.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Texas Roadhouse serves up a good steak too of you got.one near you.

BajaMike

Reaction score
You can’t beat Ruth’s Chris for the very best steak, especially the filet Magnon......but you pay for it. Fleming’s is a spin off of Ruth’s Chris......good but not as good.

GRADS

Reaction score
You can’t beat Ruth’s Chris for the very best steak, especially the filet Magnon......but you pay for it. Fleming’s is a spin off of Ruth’s Chris......good but not as good.
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one but I HATE Ruth's Chris. Last time I ate there I got nauseous from the smell of steaks floating in butter. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE butter and steak but combine them both....no bueno.

BajaMike

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one but I HATE Ruth's Chris. Last time I ate there I got nauseous from the smell of steaks floating in butter. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE butter and steak but combine them both....no bueno.

I love the smell. I’ve been going to Ruth’s Chris for about 40 years, from back when they were not a franchise, only three places in New Oleans. Love the steaks, love the place.

Nordie

Reaction score
Oddly enough the wife and I went to Outback because we were hungry and it was close to our house. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how good my Ribeye was, my wifes filet mignon was awesome as well.

GRADS

Reaction score
Oddly enough the wife and I went to Outback because we were hungry and it was close to our house. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how good my Ribeye was, my wifes filet mignon was awesome as well.
Last year I spent about $8K at Outback....no joke, no exaggeration.:eek: it's basically the closest decent restaurant to our house.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Last year I spent about $8K at Outback....no joke, no exaggeration.:eek: it's basically the closest decent restaurant to our house.

I used to go to Outback when I traveled a lot....because they are all about the same, good quality, not the greatest steak but pretty good meal for the price. My company probably spent $1000 a year for 20 meals for me at Outback, about $5000 a year for about 10 meals at Ruth’s, with guests. No complaints.

Done-it-again

Reaction score

Are you part of their rewards club? Works for Fleming’s too.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Maestros, Del Frisco's, and Ruth's Chris

Lawry's is up there too.

Del Friscos is the top of my list

FishSniper

Reaction score

I've been disgusted with the last couple ribeyes I've had at resteraunts. Been getting Cosco ribeye and grilling at home with much better results.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score

Lawrys North Hollywood. Prime riib 45-72 a plate plus sides worth every penny.

Dalton

Reaction score
I love the smell. I’ve been going to Ruth’s Chris for about 40 years, from back when they were not a franchise, only three places in New Oleans. Love the steaks, love the place.

just went to one in Jakarta, was surprised to see it

DLC

Reaction score
Costco has the best steak! You just need to know how to grill it.

No I didn’t read all the responses

I love a ribeye w/ Gorgonzola butter... but that’s just me. Baked potato goes great with the rib eye and the G butter

NicPaus

Reaction score
Poor man's rib eye from Ralph's. About to cook up dinner 1 for me 1 for Bruiser. He likes his plain.
20191109_194455.jpg