WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Where do you get your American flags?

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Well, it looks like it's time to replace Old Glory, and I'd like to get a fresh one before the 4th. Any suggestions on where to buy it? No Chinese-made polyester BS.

DLC

Reaction score
Annin making ol glory since 1847. That’s a long time!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I stumbled across this looking for something else. south carolina flag looks like it should be flying in United Arab Emirates or something.

4 x 6 Nyl-Glo South Carolina Flag

PDQH2O

Reaction score
Depends on the purpose of the flag. For day-to-day flying, I get a decent high wind resistant flag. For special occasions, I get one from my congressman's office. Excellent quality, inexpensive and can be flown in honor of the occasion. Usually takes a few weeks unless you happen to be close by their office and don't care if it's been flown over the capital. The local office may have some available.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Depends on the purpose of the flag. For day-to-day flying, I get a decent high wind resistant flag. For special occasions, I get one from my congressman's office. Excellent quality, inexpensive and can be flown in honor of the occasion. Usually takes a few weeks unless you happen to be close by their office and don't care if it's been flown over the capital. The local office may have some available.
Please explain the difference in them. You said “in honor of the occasion” what’s different in that vs a high wind flag your fly daily?

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Please explain the difference in them. You said “in honor of the occasion” what’s different in that vs a high wind flag your fly daily?
My dad’s flag..... was draped on his coffin.... I have thought of flying it on the anniversary of his death and his birthday ..... just can’t see doing that... just yet.... but if it was a flag that we got from a politician that had flown over the Capitol... I likely would consider flying that.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
My dad’s flag..... was draped on his coffin.... I have thought of flying it on the anniversary of his death and his birthday ..... just can’t see doing that... just yet.... but if it was a flag that we got from a politician that had flown over the Capitol... I likely would consider flying that.
So in regards to your fathers flag, yea idk about that and only you will ever be able to make that decision, however the politician flag deal I’m totally confused still. Or do they just only fly those for a day and then give them away etc???

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score

USMC2010

Reaction score
My dad's flag has never been unfolded since he passed in 2000. I can't even wrap my head around flying it ever, same goes for my retirement flag that flew over the USS Arizona. I do have a 3rd in my sword box I flew on all of my combat deployments, not even that one. I do have another that is only for raising.

Water Romper

Reaction score
Bass Pro Shops/Cabela's has stitched stars and the stripes are a heavy type material with brass grommets, They are smaller in size, prefect for hanging from a rear light pole (for us smaller boat guys) Not sure if they are made in the USA or not. I went this route many years at Havi/Laughlin for the 4th. At night, when we got off the lake, I would take the light out and roll up the flag for the night and let er' wave the next day. Was cool seeing all the boats flying their colors.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Az flags on Acoma. Old very hard of hearing veteran owns the place.
This, he sells a flag for about $40 that lasts about 6 months and we have strong winds coming straight down the river almost daily. Tried some Amazon crap and they tore up in about a week. He will also take your old flags and burn them.

hawgty55

Reaction score
If you dont have a local store. Iv used Amazon.
20180616_130545.jpg

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I just ordered a 4x6 from my congressman that will be flown over the capitol. $39 shipped to me after being flown.

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
X3 for AZ flags

This, he sells a flag for about $40 that lasts about 6 months and we have strong winds coming straight down the river almost daily. Tried some Amazon crap and they tore up in about a week. He will also take your old flags and burn them.

PDQH2O

Reaction score

The difference is in how they are constructed. Some are well built, others not so much.

We get a lot of high wind in our area. I used to be able to have one flag that was flown over the U.S. Capitol during President Reagan's term as my daily flyer. Lasted a long time, but then moved to a very windy location, often above 35mph. Winds will shred a flag in just a few weeks. And to me, there's nothing more disrespectful than a ratty looking flag.

Now my strategy is to have multiple flags. One (nylon & wind resistant) for daily flight, one (cotton w/embroidered stars) for special occasions like the 4th of July, USMC Birthday, D-Day, Pearl Harbor, etc., and one (nylon generic) for bad weather.

The flags seem to last much longer. I now have to work on the flag pole. Bought a new aluminum telescoping sectional and it broke after about a year with only one flag on it, so I'm looking at making one from used oil well piping. It'll have heavy side walls plenty of height and I can fly multiple 3'x5' flags at full or half staff as necessary.

TeamGreene

Reaction score
Check Costco I’ve bought two there made by Valley Forge. Great quality flag and pole/mounting

rpmsrup

Reaction score
Johns Flags and Poles in riverside, good little mom and pop shop