WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Where do you guys buy your suits at?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Don't see independent menswear shops much anymore.
Seems like the options are Jos Banks and Mens Wearhouse.

I've lost 40 Lbs and been asked to visit childrens hospital and talk to parents about my cancer treatment protocol.
It's new, it's way different and the idea is to ease the minds of parents assuring that it's promising and it really works, with far less damaging side effects than past treatments.

I don't want to roll up looking like a soup sandwich.
So,, I need a new suit.

Is it me or does a Jos Banks suit look like a Jos banks suit?

Wadaya do when you buy a new suit?
Tips, tales,, takes?

76 Hondo

76 Hondo
Reaction score
I've always had good product and service at Men's Wearhouse, bought 2 suits, 2 for 1 sale, then a year later I lost 40 lbs., I'm healthy was just overweight, took the 2 suits back to get them altered, no charge!

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Get fitted so u know your size then hit up down town la you can get a real nice suit under 100 bucks

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
:thumbup:

Awesome thing for you to do.

I think you hit the nail on the head in your initial post. Large retailers have commoditized suits so I feel you can get a couple of nice suits for a fraction of what you would have spent 15 years ago. Someone will come along on here and say blah blah blah and fly to Hong Kong to get a custom deal with a rub and tug. The most important thing to me is they actually fit right and if you wear them a couple of times and they show wear you are not into them for 2k.

JBS

Reaction score
Brooks brothers. It is basically what you remember service and quality wise from when we went to independents. Nothing against men's wear house but in my experience they do alterations not tailoring

Very nice what you are doing

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Last time I bought a suit ( been awhile ). I went to the Men Warehouse.
I walked in I told them I wanted every thing . suit ,shirts, ties, socks, shoes .
Was a good shopping experience. the cost was to bad .Didn't buy high end. Just need a suit.

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
Nordstroms. They will have their stuff tailored for you.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Gieves & Hawkes, London...:yikes

J/K, :D, haven't worn a suit since...never?? Sorry, no help.:cool

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
The only suit I own has to be 20 years old. Got it at the Mens Wearhouse. Was fitted for me. Believe it or not it still fits.
Don't remember what it cost but couldn't have been more than a couple hundred bucks. I know I wouldn't have paid more than that much for a suit back then.

lebel409

Reaction score
I'm not a suit guy....but when I'm shopping I've noticed that the new "look" is a very tailored, short tight suit...hipster douche look if anyone were to ask.

I'd second brooks bros as a classic cut and fit, however I'd probably go with a sport coat and slacks, keeping on the comfortable/sincere side and not pushing the authority figure that a corporate looking suit may give.

Oso Viejo

Reaction score
Nordstrom and Brooks Brothers have great service and a lot of patience if you aren't a 'clothes horse'. Umberto's in Long Beach is great, too. Used to be on Atlantic and are now (I think) on Bellflower Blvd.

If you want a bargain, Roger Stuart and Al Weiss, both on LA Street in the Garment District are awesome. $$$ suits for 1/3 the price you'd pay in a fancier place.

Don't bring the wife though. She'll disappear for hours and when she's done, so is the life's savings. :D

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Nordstrom and Brooks Brothers have great service and a lot of patience if you aren't a 'clothes horse'. Umberto's in Long Beach is great, too. Used to be on Atlantic and are now (I think) on Bellflower Blvd.

If you want a bargain, Roger Stuart and Al Weiss, both on LA Street in the Garment District are awesome. $$$ suits for 1/3 the price you'd pay in a fancier place.

Don't bring the wife though. She'll disappear for hours and when she's done, so is the life's savings. :D

...I'll second the garmet district... ...Needed a suit for a high end wedding,...got nothing but compliments and it was really inexpensive...

koenig

Reaction score
Id just go to Men's if it was a one time suit deal. Should be under $300 for something decent. If you needed suits every day, then pay for quality, something from here is as cheap as I'll go for daily wear: http://www.zegna.com/ca/home.html

Backlash

Reaction score
Nordstroms hands down. The quality of suit that you get at Nordstroms is much better than the quality of suit that you will get at other stores. The difference is in the material used. The wools that are used by different manufacturers vary from suit style to suit style. The better quality suits will have a thread count in the range of 600-1000. The wool used for suits made by vendors used at other retailers will have a lower thread count (200-400). Basically, the lower the thread count is on the suit, the "Thinner" the material is.

You want a quality suit and you want one that will not only fit you so you look professional, it will be made using a quality fabric. The better suits cost more money but the way they fit and "Hang" on the body is completely different.

You can go buy suits for $100 and it will look, feel, wear and last as long as a $100 suit. You can get a $700 suit that looks exactly the opposite and will last you for years. Before you spend the money, go to the different stores (Nordstrom, Mens Wearhouse, etc), and talk to the sales associates and the tailor. Not only will you see a difference in the quality of product, you will see a difference in the way you are treated as a customer.

And please make sure you aren't wearing some $49 Stacy Adams shoes with your newly purchased suit. Prepare to get some new shoes too. Spend the extra $300 and get some Allen Edmonds to set off your new Hickey Freeman suit. You'll look like a million bucks and you'll feel great about yourself too. People will compliment you and your attire, and you will project yourself professionally. ;)

Good luck and sorry for spending your hard earned money! I

Henry

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
The garment district can yield some nice stuff if you dig. I was at Macy's in west covina a few weeks ago and in there suit section. They had some really nice suits. Expensive but really nice.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Heard good things about hollywood suit outlet

Get fitted so u know your size then hit up down town la you can get a real nice suit under 100 bucks

Hollywood suit outlet is the place to go for 3 suits for 300 bucks with shirts and ties and socks etc. Not quality. The accessories suck. The suits are actually not bad but are polyester suits and not wool. They don't alter or tailor. You go a couple doors over and pay somebody for that. Even to cuff your pants. They might have name brand stuff but you'll pay for it so might as well go to a decent joint and not a discount mart in the smells like piss district. These suits have their place. I still have some. UPS made management wear suits. Yeah running around dirty warehouses all day as an Account Manager is not a good place to wear a decent suit if you don't want to blow your whole paycheck on dry cleaning and new suits.

Garment district can be good if you know what you are getting. Father in law went and got one and was jazzed at the price. Okay for an old guy I suppose. Wasn't bad just not super great fit and was polyester.

If you aren't muffin topping etc then Men's Warehouse can be good. I'm 42 extra long and I can get name brand suits there in that size that fit great with no alterations. All they need to do is cuff the pants for me. If an off the shelf shit doesn't fit right then you need to find a different place.

Now spending 4 digits or more on a suit IMO isn't necessary unless you just have the dough or you work on Wall Street or something and need to impress to make your living.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Don't see independent menswear shops much anymore.
Seems like the options are Jos Banks and Mens Wearhouse.

I've lost 40 Lbs and been asked to visit childrens hospital and talk to parents about my cancer treatment protocol.
It's new, it's way different and the idea is to ease the minds of parents assuring that it's promising and it really works, with far less damaging side effects than past treatments.

I don't want to roll up looking like a soup sandwich.
So,, I need a new suit.

Is it me or does a Jos Banks suit look like a Jos banks suit?

Wadaya do when you buy a new suit?
Tips, tales,, takes?

Congrats on your weight loss.

Hong Kong Tailor. Custom only.

Tailor flies in twice a year from Honk Kong and rents a suite at Beverly Hilton.

I purchase and retire one suit about every year.

Yes the store bought stuff typically looks like - and usually is, a sack of shit.

There is a marked difference in the fit from something that was made for you vs something chopped up to try to fit you.

The money will surprise you- its not the suit barn 3 for 99 dollars, but it is affordable considering the bespoke nature of it.

UD

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
resized_the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world-meme-generator-i-don-t-always-wear-a-suit-but-when-i-do-i-mean-business-e51d3b.jpg

Spot

Reaction score
Okay... I frequently wear suits and I will pass on all the tips I have learned....I personally don't like the 100 dollar suit brokers, suit outlets etc... No doubt there may be deals at these places but the quality isn't there. I have purchased suits at these locations and they just do not hold up well.

My suggestions is this:

Suit - Men's Warehouse - 200-400 dollar suit, Get tailored appropriately - The alterations are little more expensive but they are guaranteed for life. Meaning if you gain or lose weight they will adjust the suit at no charge. Also if you have a problem with the suit they are very easy to deal with. Verify all this, but when I have purchased in the past this was all accurate. They always have specials going. Also go Dark Gray or Navy to start.

Shirts- Men's Warehouse - Men's Warehouse has a good house brand of shirt that is nice and thick. No see through cheap junk. Usually about $30-40 bucks. Well worth it over the 15-30 dollars jobs at other discount stores.

Ties - DO NOT buy your ties at Men's Warehouse. Way to expensive. Buy your ties a Nordstrom Rack, Ross, Stein Mart, TJ max etc... Look for solid colored ties. Usually less than 20 bucks, but usually about 12 dollars. (MW more in the 30s and 40s).

Shoes - Nordstrom Rack or Men's Warehouse. I prefer Nordstrom Rack but I recent bought a nice pair of shoes a MW because I had some store credit.

Obviously, sky is the limit when it comes to suits. But this brief overview will save you a bunch of time and money.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I've bought a couple of suits at Men's Warehouse, both time had them fitted, and I don't have any complaints. I must be close their standard cut because it doesn't take much to get them to look nice.

A tailor made suit is going to fit better , but even bargain stuff is several times the price of off the rack with tailoring.

454Rocket

I thought RDSUX?
Reaction score
All of mine have come from Nordstrom

If you can, wait for their 1/2 yearly sale. I picked up a $3000 Canali for less than $2k OTD.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Congrats on your weight loss.

Hong Kong Tailor. Custom only.

Tailor flies in twice a year from Honk Kong and rents a suite at Beverly Hilton.

I purchase and retire one suit about every year.

Yes the store bought stuff typically looks like - and usually is, a sack of shit.

There is a marked difference in the fit from something that was made for you vs something chopped up to try to fit you.

The money will surprise you- its not the suit barn 3 for 99 dollars, but it is affordable considering the bespoke nature of it.

UD

snob.jpeg

:D:D:bowdown::bowdown:

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
snob.jpeg

:D:D:bowdown::bowdown:

Hilarious- but you forgot the monocle....

Getting stuff custom made is not nearly as decadent as it sounds, but don't tell anyone that, because my guy will be even busier.

The price for making the suit is pretty much fixed. Note: All suits come with a second pair of slacks.

The material is the big variable and you go from 450 bucks to 4K for the exact same thing the only difference being material.

The really good material is usually Italian.

UD

DrHW

Reaction score
You want a quality suit and you want one that will not only fit you so you look professional. And please make sure you aren't wearing some $49 Stacy Adams shoes with your newly purchased suit. Prepare to get some new shoes too. Spend the extra $300 and get some Allen Edmonds to set off your new Hickey Freeman suit.

I agree with what he is saying as I used to get an invite when the new Hickey Freemans came in at the Nordstrom's in Brea. There is no question that the Hickey Freeman brand is the best off-the-rack suit you can buy. I have worn Allen Edmunds shoes for as long as I can remember. The Hickey Freeman's are now $800 - $900 and Allen Edmunds shoes retail are $300.00 retail. For a limited use guy like yourself I do not think that it is needed. We have purchased a couple of brand name suits at Macy's recently and they are good quality however you need to have them tailored elsewhere. I also go to the garment district in LA but that is not needed for one suit. When we go there we get four or five at a time. Men's Warehouse will always have a of some kind of sale going on and you can get a decent gray or dark blue suit that you can also wear to a wedding or special occasions later on. It should run $280.00+ or a little more depending on your taste. A nice one can go to $450.00. Their shirts are decent quality and they have a good selection of ties. Tell the salesperson that the most important thing to you is that the suit is properly tailored and fits well or you will never come back. You can buy a cheap suit and if it fits well you will get by. The current style is for pants with no pleats and no cuffs. According to GQ you can still go with pleats and cuffs if that is your preference. Buy your upgraded pair of shoes at the Nordstrom's Rack, it is the best deal in town.

koenig

Reaction score
Hilarious- but you forgot the monocle....

Getting stuff custom made is not nearly as decadent as it sounds, but don't tell anyone that, because my guy will be even busier.

The price for making the suit is pretty much fixed. Note: All suits come with a second pair of slacks.

The material is the big variable and you go from 450 bucks to 4K for the exact same thing the only difference being material.

The really good material is usually Italian.

UD

You can do made to measure with Ermenegildo Zegna material, I've done it. Wasn't much more then their suits retail for in a store like Nordstrom's. Unfortunately, my tailor died a few years ago. He was amazing. I wore suits everyday for a few years, then it was necessary expense and I went made to measure of the higher quality. These suits last even with twice per month dry cleaning for several years. Id rather have one high quality suit over several low priced and quality ones. Saves money in the long haul.

But If I need a suit for one or two days, I'll just go do the Men's and spend under $400, still look good for the day. Probably never wear that suit again. If I stayed in shape, could probably wear a made to measure suit made in 2000 and still look good (that's what you pay for when you spend $2,800). For one or two times per year, Id save some money and just buy the best Men's has to offer.

Reactions: TPC

SuperJet

Reaction score
Recently had to buy a new suit. I went to men's warehouse on their 2 for one deal. I personally like my suits a little more fitted since I am a skinny ass. Ended up with two Calvin Klein suits for $1500

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
You can do made to measure with Ermenegildo Zegna material, I've done it. Wasn't much more then their suits retail for in a store like Nordstrom's. Unfortunately, my tailor died a few years ago. He was amazing. I wore suits everyday for a few years, then it was necessary expense and I went made to measure of the higher quality. These suits last even with twice per month dry cleaning for several years. Id rather have one high quality suit over several low priced and quality ones. Saves money in the long haul.

But If I need a suit for one or two days, I'll just go do the Men's and spend under $400, still look good for the day. Probably never wear that suit again. If I stayed in shape, could probably wear a made to measure suit made in 2000 and still look good (that's what you pay for when you spend $2,800). For one or two times per year, Id save some money and just buy the best Men's has to offer.

Sounds like your guy was a treasure- I respect the hell out of my tailor.

I love my EZ pieces. I never went custom EZ, because my guy buys the same fabric they get theirs from.

Yeah the good stuff tends to last and keep its looks - I can still wear stuff back to about 02 before that I was a bit more svelte

Im still on the tradeshow circuit and need to suit up for that. outside of that I wear shorts EVERYWHERE.

UD

koenig

Reaction score
I had one guy in Vancouver, he was a white guy. He made the mistake of opening up a retail location in downtown Vancouver instead of working from home and his car going to peoples offices, etc. Ended up going bankrupt. Then I found an old Italian tailor, he was 65 in 97 when I met him. He worked out of his home and would go to peoples offices. But he died in 01, shortly after his wife. He was a great guy and good find. Both on the expensive side but worth it.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I had one guy in Vancouver, he was a white guy. He made the mistake of opening up a retail location in downtown Vancouver instead of working from home and his car going to peoples offices, etc. Ended up going bankrupt. Then I found an old Italian tailor, he was 65 in 97 when I met him. He worked out of his home and would go to peoples offices. But he died in 01, shortly after his wife. He was a great guy and good find. Both on the expensive side but worth it.

"old Italian tailor"

Always my best bet.

UD

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I bought one last year at 3 day suit broker. I'm no expert but it seems nice to me. And for I think about $300

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Looks like I'll need to do a Men's Warehouse run - the guy who hired me 30 years ago just passed away after a long bout with cancer. As I'm getting older I'm doing more funerals then weddings and the those whose funerals I'm attending are getting closer to my age. Sucks getting old.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Thanks for all the takes. :thumbup:
I forgot all about Nordstroms.
Nordstroms it is.

Hopefully it won't look like the suit is wearing me.:)

DrHW

Reaction score
Thanks for all the takes. :thumbup:
Nordstroms it is.

The Hickey Freeman fabric and cut will hang like none other.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Ditto that. :(

I bought my last suit many moons ago from macy's and might just go back there since I was pretty happy with it and the rpice.

Looks like I'll need to do a Men's Warehouse run - the guy who hired me 30 years ago just passed away after a long bout with cancer. As I'm getting older I'm doing more funerals then weddings and the those whose funerals I'm attending are getting closer to my age. Sucks getting old.

screaming pete

Reaction score
my suits are Corbins..lined pant legs and pockets, always buy 2 pants with a jacket Nordstroms, great shoes too. I always buy shoes and have them resoles there too

C-2

Reaction score
Thanks for all the takes. :thumbsup
Nordstroms it is.

Now the questions is...

Single or Double breasted?

Single here, I like to look American, and not like a European squid. :p

Spot

Reaction score
Single Breasted.

I was given good suit advice long ago. For a professional suit look, always look at what the president is wearing. Political opinion is irrelevant, simply look at the suit, color, shirt and tie combinations...

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I think single might work more for all occasions.
Doubble if I were to be buried in it,, but I beat that event for the time being. :D

C-2

Reaction score
Single Breasted.

I was given good suit advice long ago. For a professional suit look, always look at what the president is wearing. Political opinion is irrelevant, simply look at the suit, color, shirt and tie combinations...

When I used to testify in court a lot, that's what I noticed too.

Attorneys/prosecutors wore single, defendants wore double; always buttoned up with otherwise long hair, molded into control with a tube of Brilcream, lol.