WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Where do you train?

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Not where do you go to the range, but where do you train with instructors? I just finished my first two, 8 hour classes for general handgun at Firearms Training Associates in Corona, and I would definitely recommend them. I learned a ton and will be using many of the drills we learned on the range. I’ve already signed up for a CCW course and put down deposits on 4 more when the schedule comes out.

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
FTA are legit. They have many good instructors and lesson plans there. Another is Artemis in lake forest

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Lol Dave.... Funny.
Not where do you go to the range, but where do you train with instructors? I just finished my first two, 8 hour classes for general handgun at Firearms Training Associates in Corona, and I would definitely recommend them. I learned a ton and will be using many of the drills we learned on the range. I’ve already signed up for a CCW course and put down deposits on 4 more when the schedule comes out.
Oh boy.. break out your wallet. Over the years I've trained with tons of people, but fortunately, most of them are my partners who went out and paid big bucks then brought the knowledge back to me/us. I'm fortunate enough to have a ton of friends that shoot on the regular and some actually compete. The instructors we use on my department go nation wide to training courses so it helps.

Most recently I went to a Ronin Tactical class. It was small numbers one on one instruction from someone who has been through most peoples worst nightmare. I pulled some drills from him that help with combat style target selection and trigger control. Unfortunately, we couldn't get to some of the things slated due to not all members of the class being up to speed. What I've found is that these instructors can only move as fast as the slowest student. That day, I wasn't the slowest so I got shorted a bit. But I completely understand that type of training, and honestly, sometimes just re-drilling the basics is far more beneficial then getting into the sexy stuff.

I have an upcoming Mike Pannone Class that is three days of shooting. Pistol, Rifle and Concealed. That class after registration and ammo will cost me a bit over 1000. I don't ever really spend that much on shooting (think back to the resources I already mentioned) but I have not met one person who has taken the class and said they regretted it. In fact, most of our instructors train multiple times with Pannone and bring that knowledge back to us.

It's really more about what do you want to get out of the training. If you are a recreational shooter or trying to get into competition, the classes I take probably wouldn't be the best bang for the buck for you. You have to kind of do your research and see what they actually focus on.

I think anybody that carries or shoots on the regular could use a basics refresher every couple years. Most certified instructors can handle that without having to have all the fancy special ops background.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Lol Dave.... Funny.

Oh boy.. break out your wallet. Over the years I've trained with tons of people, but fortunately, most of them are my partners who went out and paid big bucks then brought the knowledge back to me/us. I'm fortunate enough to have a ton of friends that shoot on the regular and some actually compete. The instructors we use on my department go nation wide to training courses so it helps.

Most recently I went to a Ronin Tactical class. It was small numbers one on one instruction from someone who has been through most peoples worst nightmare. I pulled some drills from him that help with combat style target selection and trigger control. Unfortunately, we couldn't get to some of the things slated due to not all members of the class being up to speed. What I've found is that these instructors can only move as fast as the slowest student. That day, I wasn't the slowest so I got shorted a bit. But I completely understand that type of training, and honestly, sometimes just re-drilling the basics is far more beneficial then getting into the sexy stuff.

I have an upcoming Mike Pannone Class that is three days of shooting. Pistol, Rifle and Concealed. That class after registration and ammo will cost me a bit over 1000. I don't ever really spend that much on shooting (think back to the resources I already mentioned) but I have not met one person who has taken the class and said they regretted it. In fact, most of our instructors train multiple times with Pannone and bring that knowledge back to us.

It's really more about what do you want to get out of the training. If you are a recreational shooter or trying to get into competition, the classes I take probably wouldn't be the best bang for the buck for you. You have to kind of do your research and see what they actually focus on.

I think anybody that carries or shoots on the regular could use a basics refresher every couple years. Most certified instructors can handle that without having to have all the fancy special ops background.
No kidding. Shooting regularly isn't cheap on its own, let alone taking classes. Continuing education in various fields is a priority for me, and this also helps with the safety and security of my family as well. Kind of a two for one in my budgeted priorities.

I've seen some of the Ronin Tactical classes on youtube, and he looks great! Definitely too advanced for me, but I will work my way up. I get what you are saying about the slowest student, and I wouldn't want to be "that guy." We had some people who needed "special" attention in the class this weekend. Scary.

I'm not going to get into competitive shooting. I like the practical application of these trainings, and will eventually move into tactical training for fun. One of the biggest things I noticed was how much harder marksmanship became after adding movement into the equation. Just moving towards the target at a steady pace increased the difficulty by many multiple of just standing still. Practice, practice, practice

EBT531

Reaction score
It really depends on your goal. If you want to be the guy who shoots the center out of a target, find a target shooter style instructor. If you want to prepare for real world scenarios, find a real world instructor who has actually been in a shooting or more. With practice almost anyone can hit the center of a stationary target, but have that target move and shoot back and its a completely different approach. Just like martial arts, theres a huge difference in training to train and training for a full contact competition. In the real world two shots in the same hole means nothing. Hitting what you're aiming at while its moving, while considering your background, while considering innocents that might get hit, while knowing what that round will do when it goes through a wall, window etc., while controlling blood pressure/tunnel vision/adrenaline, and of course knowing if its even legal to pull the trigger, yeah that's not hard to learn. :)

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Where?
Various places

When?
As often as I’m able

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DLC

Reaction score
So I was a desert shooting guy, go out with some targets a few buddies and a truck load of plinkers. Was a great time, shot well and always had fun.

One of my buddies said I’m shooting in a 3 gun competition and I went and that’s where I found out you need more that just trigger squeezing!

Gun handling skills and techniques for just about any type of situation. Basic reloads to tactical reloads get taught the correct way. Your shooting will become better and things will be more clear from a defensive and tactical position.

It’s really amazing all the little
Basic things the regular guy doesn’t think of.

Everyone that has guns should take basic tactical handgun class.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
https://internationaltactical.com/

All current and former LAPD SWAT instructors. I’m fortunate to train on the clock with these guys. If you carry in LA County CCW and want to know the process once you pull the trigger, this is the place to learn how to handle the incident before and after in court.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
https://internationaltactical.com/

All current and former LAPD SWAT instructors. I’m fortunate to train on the clock with these guys. If you carry in LA County CCW and want to know the process once you pull the trigger, this is the place to learn how to handle the incident before and after in court.
Thanks for the info. I'll have to check them out. Pretty far, but it could be a nice staycation