WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Where does everyone buy there Christmas trees?

SHEP

Reaction score
Home Depot or tree lot?

We have a tradition of grabbing one that is the right height but not unwrapping it until we get home. Sometime you get a good tree and other times you have ones with big holes in it but your stuck with what you got. It makes the whole tree picking process quick as I don't have to pull out 20 trees only to take home the first one I showed my wife. :thumbup:

SHEP

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
Tree lot. My parents would take for ever trying to pick one when I was a kid. Now, I'm in and out but feel I should take more time. This year the first tree we looked at was the one we got. Didn't even give a look to another tree. Happened to be a good one. I still felt like I should have taken more time. Not sure why...

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
Costco delivered to my door. Perfect tree with no holes or bare spots.

koenig

Reaction score
Was thinking real tree, the local boy scouts have a lot. But brother has canceled Christmas, no 5 year old nephew, no need for a tree anymore.

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
I get mine from a tree lot. Past 5 yrs from the same family. Her sons drive to Oregon and buy in bulk. Class A trees only. They never have bad ones. We get nobles. I'm gonna buy ours this weekend. Costco and all the other big box stores claim they sell class A trees but they are not. There might be a few in the mix but they are B and C for the most part. Especially at home Depot or lowes. Costco is probably the best if you wanna do cheap and nice. I like the lots that support a good cause. I'll pay 80 for a tree for a good cause.

I worked/ran a tree lot for the YMCA for a lot of years when I was young. Learned a lot about trees and how these lots all go to the same wholesaler and your quality is based on quantity purchased years past and current purchase.

Nobles are the only way to go imo. They look the best, they look the best flocked if your into that, and they last the longest. Doug firs are garbage. I can't stand the way they look, they suck for hanging ornaments, and don't last for shit no matter what you do. Grands, Frazier firs are a nice middle ground if you can find them. Most lots only carry dogs and nobles anymore. My lot had 6 types to chose from and we usually ate the off types. If you are a Doug fir type look into the grand fir. They last longer and look the same shape wise. The big difference is the foliage. The foliage is glossy green on the top and a snowy white on the bottom.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
The wife goes and spends half a day plus looking at different lots. :yikes
I tell her to call me when she finds one she likes and I'll meet her there to pick it up.

And the garage for the sacrilegious one:D

RVRKID

Reaction score
I get mine from a tree lot. Past 5 yrs from the same family. Her sons drive to Oregon and buy in bulk. Class A trees only. They never have bad ones. We get nobles. I'm gonna buy ours this weekend. Costco and all the other big box stores claim they sell class A trees but they are not. There might be a few in the mix but they are B and C for the most part. Especially at home Depot or lowes. Costco is probably the best if you wanna do cheap and nice. I like the lots that support a good cause. I'll pay 80 for a tree for a good cause.

I worked/ran a tree lot for the YMCA for a lot of years when I was young. Learned a lot about trees and how these lots all go to the same wholesaler and your quality is based on quantity purchased years past and current purchase.

Nobles are the only way to go imo. They look the best, they look the best flocked if your into that, and they last the longest. Doug firs are garbage. I can't stand the way they look, they suck for hanging ornaments, and don't last for shit no matter what you do. Grands, Frazier firs are a nice middle ground if you can find them. Most lots only carry dogs and nobles anymore. My lot had 6 types to chose from and we usually ate the off types. If you are a Doug fir type look into the grand fir. They last longer and look the same shape wise. The big difference is the foliage. The foliage is glossy green on the top and a snowy white on the bottom.
What tree lot? I used to go to the a lot off of Archibald in Rancho but I was spending 85-105 for the damn tree. The past couple years I have gone to Home Depot and the trees have looked great and lasted thru Xmas so I can burn it in the desert the weekend after!

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
We used to go to a tree lot in Chino that always had the best trees. Very full without holes. That lot has been gone for the past -/+ 5 years unfortunately.

I have bought a Home Depot tree on a whim and wasn't very impressed, but it did serve it's purpose. There is a lot down the street from my house that I have bought from before and they had very nice trees every time we bought from there.

A few days ago we were coming back from my daughters doctor appointment and drove by 2 lots across the street from each other. The trees looked great (from the street :rolleyes:D), so maybe we'll cruise down there to check them out.

Oh ............ ALWAYS a real tree. :thumbsup

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I'm cutting my own this year and gonna grab some firewood while I'm at it.

McRib

Reaction score
What tree lot? I used to go to the a lot off of Archibald in Rancho but I was spending 85-105 for the damn tree. The past couple years I have gone to Home Depot and the trees have looked great and lasted thru Xmas so I can burn it in the desert the weekend after!
I gotta find her. They have been in a different location 3 yrs in a row. Usually in ontario Montclair or north Chino. I'm gonna find her Friday night or Saturday morning.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Sacrilegious!

Lol. I used to think the same thing. I was a real tree growing up and my wife few up with a fake one. I remember arguing that when we got married we'd go real. That flew right out the window when I ponies up the down payment for my first brand new house. Besides that we put it up a Thanksgiving weekend and it doesn't come down until at least New Years.

Besides without going all religious on you I'll just say it's Christmas not Treemas.

With that said my house looks like a Macy's display right now. Lol.

TeamGreene

Reaction score
just got one yesterday at Costco for 44.99 still havnen't un-done it yet just put the stand on it watered and its in the garage but the one they had inside advertising looked great.

mobboss

Reaction score
A box i the garage ! Love fresh cut trees but i have 2 young kids that just beat the holly hell out of it so i bought a fake with lights and ordiments .till they get older.

Reaction score
Tonto national forest.

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
Always did real trees but we got a fake one last year and it's awesome. Gotta take it out of the storage this weekend.

Brian

Reaction score
Wife has been wanting a fake tree for a few years now. I have resisted and she goes along with it. We have been going to Home Depot and getting trees the past 5 years or so. Before that my family would go to a tree lot, not one in particular. I remember one year, one of the last years we went to a mom and pop type place, the tree was $125! Too much for a tree IMOP.

This year there is a lot by my house that is selling all tree's for $25 (so the sign says) going to go Saturday to check it out.

454Rocket

I thought RDSUX?
Reaction score
I have a fake tree and it's staying in the garage where it belongs :thumbup: :D

scottchbrite

Reaction score
Fire station 23 in Grand Terrace. It goes to help the Paid Call guys or the hand crews. It's non profit so it's a tax deduction.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Wanted to cut one down but most places only have ugly ones u can cut. Just went to Home Depot and bought an 8' noble. My wife hates looking so I had to look fast. My son is only one and in doubt will remember but next year I want to start some sort if tradition for he and i

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I gotta find her. They have been in a different location 3 yrs in a row. Usually in ontario Montclair or north Chino. I'm gonna find her Friday night or Saturday morning.

Post the name if u get a chance. That's pretty local to me and honestly inthinkn the Home Depot thing is a little cheesy

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
Costco! They have great trees and you can return it after New Years! Not really...

Scott E

Reaction score
The tree lot down the street from our house. We've been getting them there the last 6 years.

This year we went and looked at the choose and cut lot in Claremont but the ones that looked even remotely nice where $80. After the $25 stand it is over $100. That's a bit spendy for something that will be thrown out 10 days after I buy it.

RiverDiva

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
We always have great luck with Home Depot trees. We used to look all over for the best tree. Year after year we find ourselves at Home Depot. Great quality and they never dry out before Christmas.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
This year and last My Daughter had to sell 4 xmas trees (a $29 home depot tree in quality) for $60 each while i went around and delivered them. A fund raiser for school athletics. It was a bitch to sell 4 trees and I ended up buying two of them and giving one away.

So this year I bought two and she tried like hell to sell more but people see value more...over helping teenagers play sports. I have no extra $$ right now so in about a week the Athletic booster will chase me down for the difference.

And my family wonders why I hate Christmas. If Joyce Hall was still alive I would invoice him for the shit he started. :D

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
We always have great luck with Home Depot trees. We used to look all over for the best tree. Year after year we find ourselves at Home Depot. Great quality and they never dry out before Christmas.

And the price is fair. You cant beat it really.

brgrcru

Reaction score
This is the first year in 20 years, my wife actually went out and picked one out and had it delivered. yeah !
one year when the kids were small, we ended up with 4 different trees.:(
first one was a live tree. died 2 days after we cut it down. :(
#2 was a good tree but fell over and broke everything on tree. out the door it went. :(
#3 dried out super fast and fell over again. broke half the stuff on the tree :(
I was thinking maybe my son at the time 3 years old, was knocking them over, never got a straight answer.:rolleyes
#4 lasted through the Holiday.
so every year since its always an adventure, many mishaps along the way.:D
last year I backed over one at the tree lot and the stand got wedged underneath the dually.:(:yikes
I have a few more stories.:grumble::D

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
Typically get them from a lot right by my house. This year due to some credit card issues I had to go to Costco and get one...$44.00 a shade over 8'. Got it all tied up and coukdnt see it until I got it home...
Xmas Tree.jpg

I think it turned out pretty good!

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
We got our tree today. Tried the lot down the street from us, but the trees they did have didn't look all that great.

Swung by Home Depot to get an idea of their prices. Some of the trees they did have seemed didn't look that great either. Some were already dried out on the bottom.

Ended up going to the lot at the Chino Fairgrounds. Their trees looked great ... very full and with great shape. We have always bought Nobles, but this year we decided to get a Nordmann. First time getting a Nordmann. The underside of the leaves have a blueish, gray stripe that look cool from a distance and the branches felt very strong.

Their price was very good as well ... ended up getting a 8' tree.

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
Did a local lot for a few years until the prices got to be $85 for an average looking tree so I made the switch to Home Depot. Last year my tree from HD was dead 2 weeks before Christmas so I got HD to give me a great deal on a really nice pre-lit fake tree.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
I was going to go pick one out, but got I lazy and went to Home Depot yesterday.

10801744_10203305080563078_6947895884965691056_n.jpg

McRib

Reaction score
GAWD DAMIT! I CAN'T FIND MY GIRL AND THE 4 LOTS WE'VE BEEN TO HAVE GARBAGE!! BURNT TIPS AND DRY TREES EVERY WHERE!!! ERRRR!

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
There are some nice trees in here :)

I really do think this is our best tree yet. Not so much about the size or cost, but the fact that my son helped decorate and was so excited about helping. It was definitely an awesome thing to see.

20141205_221509.jpg

20141205_211522.jpg

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
Hmmm, don't know why the pics are sideways.:(