WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Where to buy classic car?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I don't' want to be the one to tell you having a 25k classic for a new driver is a terrible idea. The car is going to get trashed/stolen/bashed etc. and will leave your son stranded on the side of the road. I'm not even gonna get into the indsurance issues or the lack of safety due to air bags or bad brakes.

With that budget how about something like this so you guys have a project to work on that is a blast and reliable and then use the rest of the money for a junker camry or accord?

Sadly I'm gonna agree with most of this. Having a car with air bags and other safety items is far more important than buying him the car You want to build.

You can grab an early 2000's BMW that will be 10x more car and 100x safer for him.

I paid 5k for my E46...

20190416_104634.jpg
20190413_153018.jpg

bagged97taco

Reaction score
You guys are being soft again. Let the kid learn what it’s like to walk 5 miles when it runs out of gas but the needle is pegged at full. Arms are tired from no power steering. Tires are bald from school parking lot burn outs. Civics aren’t cool, unless you play the flute in band.

bagged97taco

Reaction score
Sadly I'm gonna agree with most of this. Having a car with air bags and other safety items is far more important than buying him the car You want to build.

You can grab an early 2000's BMW that will be 10x more car and 100x safer for him.

I paid 5k for my E46...

View attachment 951220 View attachment 951221
I beat up the beemer driving kids in high school. Then smoked them out with a big 1 tire fire burnout

badluck

Reaction score
Before you buy your child "old iron" to drive around because we all have this conception of full frame = bad ass safety please watch this...:

It changed my mind too. Put your kid in a new "Honda, Toyota" before allowing them to drive something "old and solid". It's a whole new game with airbags/crumple zones etc.
To be fair, the bel air had a cross bone frame.A design known for totally collapsing in a wreck. I’d be interested to see it against a Monte Carlo. I’m sure the new car is safer but it would be interesting to see how they faired

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Craig asks for a little help locating a car and half the responses are straight yuppie bullshit.

Only at River Daves. smh.

It's different when you have kids.

I put my daughter in me 86 F150. She was so happy to be driving that thing!

Then a few years later she got in a wreck on the freeway in the rain.

Felt like a complete fuck up for not having her in something safer. It was a miracle she didn't get killed.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score

Felt like a complete fuck up for not having her in something safer. It was a miracle she didn't get killed.
Funny, my 16yo has been driving "Fred", her 85 Silverado 1/2 ton. With the chance of snow and icy roads up here, I scrounged up a Saturn Vue. Nothing fancy and new, but has airbags, awd, anti-lock brakes, etc. The smaller, more modern cars will be junk after a wreck. The advantage is more energy being absorbed by the car, and less by the driver.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score

I have kids. They'll be driving in a couple of years.

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Put my daughter in a ‘17 Audi A4 Quattro S-line.
A lot of her college choices were in states with less then desirable driving weather.
So now we have a good fearing, gun toting, republican voting Student at Univ of Oregon.

Put him in something safe and modern. Buy him a fixer upper classic for the Sunday cruise. Maybe something with a big back seat so the ladies can be comfy..

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Put my daughter in a ‘17 Audi A4 Quattro S-line.
A lot of her college choices were in states with less then desirable driving weather.
So now we have a good fearing, gun toting, republican voting Student at Univ of Oregon.

Put him in something safe and modern. Buy him a fixer upper classic for the Sunday cruise. Maybe something with a big back seat so the ladies can be comfy..
If you have a Republican going to school in Oregon, might I suggest something a little more "robust"...like a Brinks truck...with gun ports 🤔

In all seriousness, scares the hell out of me, my little girl looking at schools back east. Not from the libtard aspects...just never had her that far:oops:

Motor Boater

Reaction score
My kid is getting something big with a shit load of airbags. Streets in Phoenix are crazy and people haul ass. I have a 66 bug and a 76 corvette and the kids aren’t driving them. When the light turns green and I’m in the VW I wait and look for about 50 seconds before entering the enter section because if I get hit, I’m dead. No question.

Cdog

Reaction score
Sounds funny but after seeing the beatings a Mazda can take at the track I’m leaning that direction for my daughters. 3 yrs away for me though.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Zero foreign iron for me. Dont need to start a personal decision derailment here its just a personal choice. I have never owned a foreign car

That was a Chevrolet vs Chevrolet.

Domestics are just as safe as imports, put your kid in something newer until they are in their mid 20's is my advice.

I just wanted to point out the huge difference in modern vs old iron.

Nothing personal about it other than my honest opinion to keep your kid safer, I am not worried about my driving, it's all about everyone else and how much they suck.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Domestics are just as safe as imports, put your kid in something newer until they are in their mid 20's is my advice.

Nothing personal about it other than my honest opinion to keep your kid safer, I am not worried about my driving, it's all about everyone else and how much they suck.

X1000

wzuber

Reaction score
Lol...he didn't come in here asking advice about what kind of car he SHOULD put his kid in. He's a smart man w/what appears to be an engineering background and KNOWS ...HIS...kid. I'm sure their choice will be fine. Today's modern society...smh..lol
It's funny how all of us crazy, radical kids grew up (survived) to be soooo conservative.. haha. Good times...

How about going to the individual vehicle of choice forums and looking there, asking ? there? If nothing else a good place to learn of the various qualities and potential problems if any of various makes models etc. In the event your not familiar with all that. Probably some good examples of what NOT to buy as well. Haha
I would think @bonesfabwould be a good resource.
If your in this area the long beach and pomona swap meets can be great places to look as well as spending some quality time /w your kid during the search process.
Mecham auto auctions would be another source..
At least for some $$$ insights and entertainment if nothing else.
Good luck with your search
You know all these conservatives are really envious in reality...right? Lol

Water Romper

Reaction score
Not sure where you are at but does Pomona still have the classic car swap meet? I've been to this several times and there were classics galore for sale. Of course, good ol' Covid my have but the breaks on this event for now

Cdog

Reaction score
RDP folks,

Looking at getting my son a classic car. Would like a '65-'69 Mustang or a '66-'70 Chevelle or El Camino

Outside of craigslist where is a good spot to look?

Thanks in advance

I'd go Elco since the odds of him getting in over his head with an ill handling car is likely. It s a cheaper car to start with.

As a side hustle I sell Art Morrison chassis/Pro touring go fast stuff so if you end up wanting to modernize the car so it stops and handles decently LMK.

My cousin Jack is in Torrance and knows a lot of people in this world so when you finalize a budget and know what you want reach out and I'll have him put the word out.

KevinR

Reaction score
Driver

16 year old boy

Every day driver or weekend warrior?

I know when my boys were 16 and first on the road no way they were capable, mentally mature, experienced, etc to drive a 50-60 year old car as daily transportation. I trust you have raised yours better. :p

I say that, but after we drove our classic Mustangs, 2009 GT500 and 2005 Ford GT together, they learned a lot and became much more proficient.

If for an every day driver, I would at a minimum purchase a vehicle that has modern disc brakes installed. They would outperform an original braking system times 10. Plus the original system, if not professionally rebuilt and serviced superbly is more likely to fail. Would also look to a more modern suspension system. Those classics are so easy to get out of whack, especially with a new driver.

Finally, I recommend you and your son attend a driving school of some type. Perhaps you have already done so yourself and plan on it. But if you haven’t, it’s not only a tremendous way to make anyone a better driver on the road day after day, and with your son it is one of the most fun and excellent bonding experiences a father-son can have.

One last suggestion. For years I was very active on a couple classic Mustang on line forums, and a Ford GT forum.
Again, I don’t mean to insinuate you don’t already do this, but if not, talk about an excellent way to educate yourself and your son can also join if he has the interest level to do so. You get insights into that particular car type from dedicated and long term enthusiasts with invaluable knowledge when learning about items and things to pay attention to when looking at one of those particular cars to purchase. Those forums are also a great place to source cars for sale without middleman mark ups.

Good luck with the hunt!

Taboma

Reaction score
Beautiful car for the money.

Curious, isn't a 3 speed auto a Turbo-Hydromantic, not a Powerglide ?
Is that really the going rate for these cars, with a non-nos engine and trans, claims it needs new paint, brakes and there's a vacuum boost problem, needs TLC --- for $ 30K ?
SS has no documentation, this seems like a project car.
Trust me, I've got a stack of Hemmings, but haven't followed older Camaro pricing.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Camaro prices have skyrocketed. If that car was mint, it would be 50-60k.

Cdog

Reaction score
Curious, isn't a 3 speed auto a Turbo-Hydromantic, not a Powerglide ?
Is that really the going rate for these cars, with a non-nos engine and trans, claims it needs new paint, brakes and there's a vacuum boost problem, needs TLC --- for $ 30K ?
SS has no documentation, this seems like a project car.
Trust me, I've got a stack of Hemmings, but haven't followed older Camaro pricing.

it really just depends on the condition of the car. I wouldn’t worry about a numbers matching car for kids to be honest with you. If the body shell is in good condition without a bunch of Bondo and there’s documentation of the body work being done in the paint job in your miles ahead everything else is built on replacement. Most of the 67’s came with the powerglide but I do believe the turbo 350 was an option

nowski

Reaction score

I know when my boys were 16 and first on the road no way they were capable, mentally mature, experienced, etc to drive a 50-60 year old car as daily transportation. I trust you have raised yours better. :p

I say that, but after we drove our classic Mustangs, 2009 GT500 and 2005 Ford GT together, they learned a lot and became much more proficient.

If for an every day driver, I would at a minimum purchase a vehicle that has modern disc brakes installed. They would outperform an original braking system times 10. Plus the original system, if not professionally rebuilt and serviced superbly is more likely to fail. Would also look to a more modern suspension system. Those classics are so easy to get out of whack, especially with a new driver.

Finally, I recommend you and your son attend a driving school of some type. Perhaps you have already done so yourself and plan on it. But if you haven’t, it’s not only a tremendous way to make anyone a better driver on the road day after day, and with your son it is one of the most fun and excellent bonding experiences a father-son can have.

One last suggestion. For years I was very active on a couple classic Mustang on line forums, and a Ford GT forum.
Again, I don’t mean to insinuate you don’t already do this, but if not, talk about an excellent way to educate yourself and your son can also join if he has the interest level to do so. You get insights into that particular car type from dedicated and long term enthusiasts with invaluable knowledge when learning about items and things to pay attention to when looking at one of those particular cars to purchase. Those forums are also a great place to source cars for sale without middleman mark ups.

Good luck with the hunt!

All good points, the most important being driving school. We put both of our kids in the B.R.A.K.E.S. (putonthebrakes.org) defensive driving school, best investment we made for our kids safety. I can't tell you how many times our kids have told us about the idiots on the road and how their training paid off in keeping them safe.

It's hard for me to believe that you had a Ford GT, where did you put yours and the Mrs golf clubs???

HBCraig

Reaction score

Noted. Thanks man

HBCraig

Reaction score

Good luck with the hunt!
Daily driver.

My first car was 1970 Mustang 302. Fum little car. Then it was a 1970 Elko with a 350
Next was another 1970 Elko, SS and it was a rocket

I am honestly bouncing between giving him my Lariat or a classic. He plays high level baseball and grinds his ass off 7 days a week and carries a 4.0. My daughter is the same but with softball. Got a full ride to play D1. I want to reward them. Tney don't have jobs because I told them they need to carry a high GPA and focus so thats their job. I gave her a Jeep. 2 years old that a buddy had. Solid ride.

Thanks for all the input boys, now I am totally messed up. 😄

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
Recently on another forum, a guy asked if he should buy his 16 year old daughter a brand new Porsche GT3 or just a 911. I don't think he was expecting the responses he got! o_O

I've been driving classic cars since well, when they were almost new cars! In stock form they were all pretty crappy but we didn't know any better. Now, cars are so much better at everything but I also think they isolate the driver too much. Nothing like driving an old car to really get in touch with whats happening with your vehicle.

Old four wheel drum brakes? Be ready for the car to dive to the left or right under hard braking. You just don't know which directions it's going to go!
Do you like having to turn the steering wheel a quarter rotation before the car starts to turn? Great fun until you have to make an emergency maneuver!
Don't expect to jump in, fire it up and take off if you are in a hurry, especially when it's cold out.

I could go on but these are some of the things to consider. Most of this stuff can be rectified via a restomod but it costs money and takes time. Plus, if you don't know what you are doing you can make it worse.

Here's my big question: Is this car for your kid or is it really for you? Is you kid into old cars already? Does he have a favorite? Does he know anything about them? Does he have tools and know how to use them? If this is just something that is a passing fancy he will tire of an old car very quickly. If he is passionate about them, then he should already know where to look and have a couple specific cars in mind. He'll be hanging around other car guys and spending countless hours on car sites.

When I was a kid I was car crazy. I read Hot Rod, Rod & Custom, Car Craft as well as Car & Driver and Road & Track magazines religiously. I would spend hours staring at photos looking at every little detail of cool cars. My mother used to say to me. "Why is it you can identify the year, make and model of every car on the road, even at night but you can't remember you school history lessons?". I bought my first car at 16 with my own money saved up from mowing lawns and shoveling snow and other stuff for neighbors. What got me through those monotonous jobs was the thought of having my own first car. I bought a clapped out '65 GTO from out fire chief for fifty bucks (in 1972). I know he gave me a deal but still probably would have only got a couple hundred out of it selling to anyone else. I worked on that thing all the time and learned a ton from my buddies or what and what not to do.

Anyway, if your kid isn't already picking out cars and showing you what he wants you both would be better off if you gave him that F150. I usually recommend young guys buy a driver first anyway then get your "play" car. That way you always have something to drive when the play car is down as well as a parts chaser.

Now if he is really into it and can use the F150 when he needs to then I'd recommend buying a bit of a fixer that you two can work on together. It would be a great bonding experience and both might learn stuff, not only about cars but each other as well. It would also give him way more pride in ownership and accomplishment as opposed to just having a car that daddy bought him.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Recently on another forum, a guy asked if he should buy his 16 year old daughter a brand new Porsche GT3 or just a 911. I don't think he was expecting the responses he got! o_O

I've been driving classic cars since well, when they were almost new cars! In stock form they were all pretty crappy but we didn't know any better. Now, cars are so much better at everything but I also think they isolate the driver too much. Nothing like driving an old car to really get in touch with whats happening with your vehicle.

Old four wheel drum brakes? Be ready for the car to dive to the left or right under hard braking. You just don't know which directions it's going to go!
Do you like having to turn the steering wheel a quarter rotation before the car starts to turn? Great fun until you have to make an emergency maneuver!
Don't expect to jump in, fire it up and take off if you are in a hurry, especially when it's cold out.

I could go on but these are some of the things to consider. Most of this stuff can be rectified via a restomod but it costs money and takes time. Plus, if you don't know what you are doing you can make it worse.

Here's my big question: Is this car for your kid or is it really for you? Is you kid into old cars already? Does he have a favorite? Does he know anything about them? Does he have tools and know how to use them? If this is just something that is a passing fancy he will tire of an old car very quickly. If he is passionate about them, then he should already know where to look and have a couple specific cars in mind. He'll be hanging around other car guys and spending countless hours on car sites.

When I was a kid I was car crazy. I read Hot Rod, Rod & Custom, Car Craft as well as Car & Driver and Road & Track magazines religiously. I would spend hours staring at photos looking at every little detail of cool cars. My mother used to say to me. "Why is it you can identify the year, make and model of every car on the road, even at night but you can't remember you school history lessons?". I bought my first car at 16 with my own money saved up from mowing lawns and shoveling snow and other stuff for neighbors. What got me through those monotonous jobs was the thought of having my own first car. I bought a clapped out '65 GTO from out fire chief for fifty bucks (in 1972). I know he gave me a deal but still probably would have only got a couple hundred out of it selling to anyone else. I worked on that thing all the time and learned a ton from my buddies or what and what not to do.

Anyway, if your kid isn't already picking out cars and showing you what he wants you both would be better off if you gave him that F150. I usually recommend young guys buy a driver first anyway then get your "play" car. That way you always have something to drive when the play car is down as well as a parts chaser.

Now if he is really into it and can use the F150 when he needs to then I'd recommend buying a bit of a fixer that you two can work on together. It would be a great bonding experience and both might learn stuff, not only about cars but each other as well. It would also give him way more pride in ownership and accomplishment as opposed to just having a car that daddy bought him.
He loves the classic El Camino. I showed him mine and he loves it. I am with you with the restomod. Disc brakes, would like fuel injection, etc.

Taboma

Reaction score
Since everybody is offering their opinions, so here's one from a guy who grew up with these classics and muscles being sold brand new.
Seems your son's time is consumed with his education and sports, a lifestyle that would be an excellent fit for most any MODERN performance car.
I'm not reading about all this spare "Tinkering" time he has. His lifestyle screams dependability, twist the key or push the button and go.

I sold my last classic in 97' and have zero desire to own another, unless I was really bored. If I want to wrench, that's what my boat is for. 😁
There's so many fun offerings that are faster than most anything I grew up with, far far more dependable, and so much safer in any accident scenario.

You sure this isn't a toy dad wants and your son is the perfect excuse to get one ?? Just saying, that is a real thing. 😁

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
Growing up I spent a lot of time on dirt roads playing at being Bo and Luke Duke. All my buddies became quite skilled at drifting on and off road. Still we spent a lot of time at Pick A Part/Ecology Center getting parts to fix our "mistakes". A bad battery connection, a bad ballast resistor, a stuck carb float, a leaking heater core, were just some of the things that made me miss important appointments AND would not likely happen with a newer ride these days. I have had a supercharged Gran Prix, a turbo PTCruz, and now I am driving a turbo Hyundai. All three supplied enough get up and go to keep an old musclecar guy happy when you press the go peddle. And heated seats are the bomb for a sore back at the end of the day.

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
This is an interesting thread I have been wondering where to sell a classic car (1968 El Co SS 396 4spd 12 bolt numbers matching car). Its mostly a garage queen and has been covered and sitting in the garage without use. Really just in my way and I have considered selling it but don't want to dump it. I may list it on some of these sites but wondered if covid has helped or hurt the classic car world.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
This is an interesting thread I have been wondering where to sell a classic car (1968 El Co SS 396 4spd 12 bolt numbers matching car). Its mostly a garage queen and has been covered and sitting in the garage without use. Really just in my way and I have considered selling it but don't want to dump it. I may list it on some of these sites but wondered if covid has helped or hurt the classic car world.

Post pictures please!

attitude

Reaction score
I rode home from school in my neighbors 65 Malibu with a 383, when ever it rained the passenger was the designated defroster lol. I ended up buying a 04 GTO my senior year. All my money went to insurance and gas but I loved it. You can get a really nice 04-06 GTO for well within your budget and it has all the nannies you could want in a modern car.
49312C4D-BEB4-4731-AB6D-FEB1F8917D3C.jpeg

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score

Might want to try Bring A Trailer. Stuff on there goes for crazy money!

BlowMe

Reaction score
This place is out by me in Missouri but he has like 3 big buildings filled with cars and normally has a big selection of cars. I havent been there in awhile. I need to go back soon and spend half a day walking around and dreaming. Good luck on your search! Im 33 and my first car was the same kind my dad has as his first. A 65 impala SS with drum brakes all the way around. I miss it so much. Im sure your boy will be just fine and love an older car that actually has some style and class. I know I did when i was the only one in the high school parking lot with a classic

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score
This place is out by me in Missouri but he has like 3 big buildings filled with cars and normally has a big selection of cars. I havent been there in awhile. I need to go back soon and spend half a day walking around and dreaming. Good luck on your search! Im 33 and my first car was the same kind my dad has as his first. A 65 impala SS with drum brakes all the way around. I miss it so much. Im sure your boy will be just fine and love an older car that actually has some style and class. I know I did when i was the only one in the high school parking lot with a classic

Holy shit, their prices are crazy high!

I've seen a couple other places like that on YouTube like Gateway and Vanguard. They have nice stuff but I think a lot of overhead as well.

That Maple Motors place in TN seems to be reasonable although I have noticed some price creep with them. I think their YouTube videos are getting them lots of business so that could be why. Not sure the quality of their inventory though. I don't think anything they sell has a working horn! 😁

RodnJen

Reaction score
Sounds funny but after seeing the beatings a Mazda can take at the track I’m leaning that direction for my daughters. 3 yrs away for me though.

Just bought a CX-5 for mine, really impressed.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Since everybody is offering their opinions, so here's one from a guy who grew up with these classics and muscles being sold brand new.
Seems your son's time is consumed with his education and sports, a lifestyle that would be an excellent fit for most any MODERN performance car.
I'm not reading about all this spare "Tinkering" time he has. His lifestyle screams dependability, twist the key or push the button and go.

I sold my last classic in 97' and have zero desire to own another, unless I was really bored. If I want to wrench, that's what my boat is for. 😁
There's so many fun offerings that are faster than most anything I grew up with, far far more dependable, and so much safer in any accident scenario.

You sure this isn't a toy dad wants and your son is the perfect excuse to get one ?? Just saying, that is a real thing. 😁
I am not exactly sure I don't want it. ;)

All good points here man