WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Where to buy classic car?

Taboma

Reaction score
I am not exactly sure I don't want it. ;)

All good points here man

As a dad of an almost middle aged son, I have in some respects a similar thing going on. I'm close to wanting to pass my boat onto my son and he'd love nothing better than to have it, and I want it to remain in the family. I also know it would be a fun thing for us both to share and be involved in and I'd love to watch him light up as I hand over the keys.
But he's juggling a million balls with his new business, he needs to make some other more important long term financial investments, not toss $$$ into a boat.
In all good conscious, I think I'd be making the wrong contribution to his life right now. So I'm waiting.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
This is an interesting thread I have been wondering where to sell a classic car (1968 El Co SS 396 4spd 12 bolt numbers matching car). Its mostly a garage queen and has been covered and sitting in the garage without use. Really just in my way and I have considered selling it but don't want to dump it. I may list it on some of these sites but wondered if covid has helped or hurt the classic car world.
Covid pricing and classic cars...I don't have anything special these days, but work on a few for guys. I also hang around with a more "experienced" group (older). This morning at cars and coffee, this actually came up. The early cars have been suffering a decline for years, and it has been acclerated by covid. More decent projects on the market, listed by next of kin. The muscle cars haven't dropped, at least not that I have seen. I think that is due to people my age, in their 40's, either had or wanted one when in high school. Still lots of buyers, as evident by this thread. This may be good for you, but still hurt @HBCraig in terms of finding a reasonably priced muscle car. The cycle is constant, what guys wanted or miss from high school, drives the prices up when they can finally afford nicer versions.

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
Details on the 68 are as follows: 68 real SS with matching 396 L34 motor (350hp) with nice cam and freshened up motor, Muncie four speed recently resealed and 12 bolt posi 355 gears. When I got the car it was much different I put it back to stock removed air ride new front suspension chrome rallys with new BF Goodrich have a three ring binder of many receipts and work done it has placed at a specific chevelle and camino show. It was valued from Hagerty and insured at 47K realistically I would accept high 30's for the car. It just sits covered in the garage and I start it monthly but don't have time to drive it due to work. It is taking up room in the garage that is needed badly. I'll consider a possible trade for a razor four seater and cash, but really have mixed feelings about letting it go as it only took several years to find a numbers car. I can answer any more specifics about it if needed.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
Details on the 68 are as follows: 68 real SS with matching 396 L34 motor (350hp) with nice cam and freshened up motor, Muncie four speed recently resealed and 12 bolt posi 355 gears. When I got the car it was much different I put it back to stock removed air ride new front suspension chrome rallys with new BF Goodrich have a three ring binder of many receipts and work done it has placed at a specific chevelle and camino show. It was valued from Hagerty and insured at 47K realistically I would accept high 30's for the car. It just sits covered in the garage and I start it monthly but don't have time to drive it due to work. It is taking up room in the garage that is needed badly. I'll consider a possible trade for a razor four seater and cash, but really have mixed feelings about letting it go as it only took several years to find a numbers car. I can answer any more specifics about it if needed.

If you sell it now you will regret it later.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
DEA2A5AA-E1F9-48CB-8899-50FDEE5F1397.jpeg

Thinking of selling my Mini Cooper for this:
68’ F250 , 460, it runs hard and lays rubber. Go big or go home, lol.
I think Cole Trickle has spot on advice and that F100 would be a perfect starter.

KevinR

Reaction score
Daily driver.

My first car was 1970 Mustang 302. Fum little car. Then it was a 1970 Elko with a 350
Next was another 1970 Elko, SS and it was a rocket

I am honestly bouncing between giving him my Lariat or a classic. He plays high level baseball and grinds his ass off 7 days a week and carries a 4.0. My daughter is the same but with softball. Got a full ride to play D1. I want to reward them. Tney don't have jobs because I told them they need to carry a high GPA and focus so thats their job. I gave her a Jeep. 2 years old that a buddy had. Solid ride.

Thanks for all the input boys, now I am totally messed up. 😄

How bout that! My first car was a 1970 BOSS 302 Mustang I bought in 1972 from Carson Brummett.

My dad would not let me drive solo for 2 months. It took that long of he and I driving each night after homework and him teaching me how to properly drive a manual transmission and understand braking and balance of the car. I remember one session spending a couple hours on Santa Anita Ave in Arcadia in the foothills. Learning how to make a start going uphill without burning the clutch.

Sure great to hear of how your son and daughter are engaged in sports and really committed to the classroom. Seems whatever decision you make will work out.

62724742-7BCE-42D3-872F-6DEC09C32183.jpeg

PlanB

Reaction score
This is an interesting thread I have been wondering where to sell a classic car (1968 El Co SS 396 4spd 12 bolt numbers matching car). Its mostly a garage queen and has been covered and sitting in the garage without use. Really just in my way and I have considered selling it but don't want to dump it. I may list it on some of these sites but wondered if covid has helped or hurt the classic car world.

I sold a 49 caddy and used the Classic Cars section of the Auto Trader online. I was getting calls from the U.S and Europe. Sold fairly quickly.

wzuber

Reaction score

PlanB

Reaction score

My father liquidated some vehicles back in 05 before he passed. He had a numbers matching 69 SS 396 El Camino with 40K original miles. I could have bought the car from him for 14K. It was mint, but it was Butternut in color. Between not really being an El Camino guy and the color I passed. Looking back I should have bought it. Your car sounds very nice!

wzuber

Reaction score
As a dad of an almost middle aged son, I have in some respects a similar thing going on. I'm close to wanting to pass my boat onto my son and he'd love nothing better than to have it, and I want it to remain in the family. I also know it would be a fun thing for us both to share and be involved in and I'd love to watch him light up as I hand over the keys.
But he's juggling a million balls with his new business, he needs to make some other more important long term financial investments, not toss $$$ into a boat.
In all good conscious, I think I'd be making the wrong contribution to his life right now. So I'm waiting.
solid choice....and in the mean time you can still enjoy it together as you wish.

nameisbond

Reaction score
I like Facebook marketplace. You can see the sellers profile. But its by area deal, some areas are better then others. Canada's Autotrader is also good. You should check out Canada. Its only a 20hr drive from LA to Vancouver. Prices here can be cheaper due to the exchange rate. CDN dollar is always at a discount compared to the USD.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I want a 66’ with tri power. Love the Goats.

No, you don't! LoL

The tri power ran like crap from the factory. Most GM TP set ups were 1100cfm with vacuum secondaries. Can you guess the drivability with that?? LoL

And if you Did find an OE configuration, it's gonna be completely unserviceable by now. Too many peoples hands in it over the last 5 or 6 decades.

Holly Does make replacement tri power carbs though. Last I checked they were 700.00ea.

I did actually get ONE TP properly tuned and running. Many many hours of labor.

The last one I did involved throwing it in the trash, and bolting a new intake and 4bbl on it. Customer had owned the car for YEARS. He said it had absolutely NEVER run that good! Lol

20190121_132419.jpg
20190305_110714.jpg

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
No, you don't! LoL

The tri power ran like crap from the factory. Most GM TP set ups were 1100cfm with vacuum secondaries. Can you guess the drivability with that?? LoL

And if you Did find an OE configuration, it's gonna be completely unserviceable by now. Too many peoples hands in it over the last 5 or 6 decades.

Holly Does make replacement tri power carbs though. Last I checked they were 700.00ea.

I did actually get ONE TP properly tuned and running. Many many hours of labor.

The last one I did involved throwing it in the trash, and bolting a new intake and 4bbl on it. Customer had owned the car for YEARS. He said it had absolutely NEVER run that good! Lol

View attachment 951556 View attachment 951557

That’s like putting Boyd rims on a model A you sick bastard [emoji23]

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
That’s like putting Boyd rims on a model A you sick bastard [emoji23]

Plus now that I'm thinking about it...

The carbs he had were unserviceable. Idle mixture screws busted off, linkage pieces missing and all kinna other things wrong.

It was either 2100.00 in new carbs, plus the labor to configure and tune, or half that for a new intake and carb. Since it wasn't a numbers matching car by Any stretch of the imagination, it was the best option to turn an undrivable car into a Very drivable machine (it hauled azz when I got done with it).

Win win 👍

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
@rivermobster That ain't no GTO. My last set was worked by Paul Rossi. They were progressive and worked tits. Bought my air cleaner from Ecology Center for $35 in 1981. I sold them bolted to a stroked 400 4 sp 'Cuda (factory 383 Gran Coupe car).

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
@rivermobster That ain't no GTO. My last set was worked by Paul Rossi. They were progressive and worked tits. Bought my air cleaner from Ecology Center for $35 in 1981. I sold them bolted to a stroked 400 4 sp 'Cuda (factory 383 Gran Coupe car).

Nice.

I got a set dialed in on a Bonevile. Ran good, so it's definitely not an impossible task!

You just have to weigh all the options. Every customer is different.