WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Where to buy good beef?

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
So, I read @wash11 post in the "What the Health?" thread about going grass feed with all of his meats and it helped out big time. My wife and I have always ate relatively healthy and exercised almost daily but we're looking to go a step further. I've always joked "give me the cows with the steroids because that's the only way I can get them legally." But now I'm thinking this grass fed deal is worth a try (and we'll see if it's worth the money).

So, I have the 5 cu ft freezer on my purchase list for the next few weeks. I also plan to get on the list for some of the @wash11 beef. But for now, where do the healthy eaters get their grass fed meats? I'm located in Corona, so preferably OC or IE.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
https://www.yelp.com/biz/beef-palace-butcher-shop-huntington-beach?osq=Beef+Palace

o.jpg

best meats in town. bring cash.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
You could give Gem Meats a try.

3125 Yorba Linda Blvd, Fullerton, CA 92831
⋅ Closes 7PM

Phone: (714) 996-3363

BingerFang

Reaction score
So, I read @wash11 post in the "What the Health?" thread about going grass feed with all of his meats and it helped out big time. My wife and I have always ate relatively healthy and exercised almost daily but we're looking to go a step further. I've always joked "give me the cows with the steroids because that's the only way I can get them legally." But now I'm thinking this grass fed deal is worth a try (and we'll see if it's worth the money).

So, I have the 5 cu ft freezer on my purchase list for the next few weeks. I also plan to get on the list for some of the @wash11 beef. But for now, where do the healthy eaters get their grass fed meats? I'm located in Corona, so preferably OC or IE.

I have a close friend that is an Olympic wrestler and will only eat grass-fed meat and dairy. Him and a few of his athlete buddies all pitch in and purchase a grass-fed bison twice a year. I know Whole Foods sells bison, but it aint cheap!

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
This is what I was going to suggest.
I don’t know if their meat is grass-fed, but it sure is tasty.
Old school butcher shop. Best bet is to give them a call or stop by if you happen to be in Chino.

I've been before. I just called and they do not carry grass fed beef.

I think you can buy meat from Joel @wash11. I believe he ships it now.

I would probably do this if I hadn't paid $250+ to send 70 pounds of deer meat in the fall. I'd rather just meet him in Havasu, pick it up, and spend a night out there.

I have a close friend that is an Olympic wrestler and will only eat grass-fed meat and dairy. Him and a few of his athlete buddies all pitch in and purchase a grass-fed bison twice a year. I know Whole Foods sells bison, but it aint cheap!

Costco sells (2) 1.25 pound connected packs for $19.99 but I don't remember if it's grass fed.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I’ll have 2 calves well 1 1/2 for sale this fall , grain / alfalfa feed from 6 months

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
I know my son brought home a few grass fed steaks last week from sprouts and they were not overly expensive I can't recall if it was rib eye or something else but one had a price tag of $6.00 and change so I was really surprised. I stopped eating red meat so I cant comment on the flavor but he said they were great.

This could be an economical start to try it and confirm its worth it for you.

Canuck 1

Midget Hater
Reaction score
Montana, Wyoming, Alberta...... other than that your fukked

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Walmart sells grass fed bison. Had some the other night. But does anyone actually verify that its legit?
Just like Organic stuff... supposed to be better but is anyone validating?

wash11

Reaction score

Thank you for the mentions guys.

Having been behind the scenes of quality beef for a few years now I can honestly tell you that unless you can shake hands and look the guy straight in the eye that raised your beef- you have no idea what you're really getting. There are plenty of options on mail order- Crowd Cow, Wild Pastures and many more. We've been contacted by a few about doing some business. The vetting model is just too loose to trust. By most standards I can add whatever I want to the sales stream with very little oversight, i.e. wholesale out my poor performers to get out from under them without sacrificing quality to my good, direct customers. I've heard some horror stories. That being said, our poor performers are still 100% better than grocery store stuff as far as nutrient density etc- so take that with a grain of salt.
Instead of adopting that business model we simply go to ground beef with steers that aren't shaping up for good retail cuts. It's been a big success for us.
Raising good grass fed and finished beef on any type of scale is time consuming and weather dependent unless you have irrigated pastures which is a whole different expense. The ones that do it well don't need help selling and aren't in a position that requires wholesaling.
https://primalpastures.com/collections/primal-beef
That would be a good, local go to. They have a strong brand and a name to protect. I've never heard of them sacrificing quality or integrity.

sintax

Reaction score
As @Gelcoater mentioned, sprouts does often have grass fed steaks. I usually grab some when I see them cheap and vac seal them.

Another great option is Electric City butcher in Santa Ana off of 4th street. They are a "hip" new butcher but specialize in quality, you will pay for it though. They have some of the really high end farms but might be nice if you're looking for every day meat I could see yourself going broke quick.

You can buy directly from Stemple Creek as well, ( stemplecreek.com ) they are one of the most respected grass fed farms.

wash11

Reaction score
@wash11 what do you think about butcherblock.com?
Are you referring to Butcher Box? If so, well put together social media presence and seem to be popular. Again, it's a business model that has producers add product to the sales stream with zero transparency regarding who is actually raising the animals or what type of vetting they are doing. It's a safe bet that you'll get higher quality than the grocery store but no way to know for sure.
Worth mentioning: I've not heard anything bad about them so they might be great. I'm just trying to give you guys the behind the scenes scoop as to how this stuff works.

chvynhra

Reaction score
Are you referring to Butcher Box? If so, well put together social media presence and seem to be popular. Again, it's a business model that has producers add product to the sales stream with zero transparency regarding who is actually raising the animals or what type of vetting they are doing. It's a safe bet that you'll get higher quality than the grocery store but no way to know for sure.
Worth mentioning: I've not heard anything bad about them so they might be great. I'm just trying to give you guys the behind the scenes scoop as to how this stuff works.

Yes that's what I ment. I've been a member for about six months and no complaints so far. Ultimately I'd like to just buy from you but with two kids in diapers regular trips to Havasu ain't happening.

wash11

Reaction score
Yes that's what I ment. I've been a member for about six months and no complaints so far. Ultimately I'd like to just buy from you but with two kids in diapers regular trips to Havasu ain't happening.

Great to hear! It's cool that you're finding good grub for your family and supporting small producers at the same time. Hit a farmers market in your area to find good folks as well. We're sold out almost a year in advance at this point so don't sweat the Havasu trips!

pkbullet

Reaction score
Allen Brothers and Snake River Farms are my favorites

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
I just tried CrowdCow.com and I am happy with the first meal we had. No recurring orders necessary. I know there are many other places so I am still searching.