WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Where to move

LOBOATOMY

Reaction score
Looking at making the trip to check out TN, KY, & maybe MO over christimas. I'd need at least an acre, 2,000 sq ft + house, but needs to be $100k or under so I'm F&C.

Thinking I'll be out of town, hoping 30 miles or under.

What Areas/cities should I look in?
That is what I found here in Calvert City, KY. 10 minutes from boating (lots and lots-it will take several years to explore) and great fishing, superior hunting at Land Between the Lakes.
Very similar requirements 1 acre in city limits, 15 miles to Paducah, 2 miles to downtown Calvert City.
Very doable you just need to keep on top of the market, hit me up if you want a good real estate agent contact.
Best of luck

4czn10

Reaction score
I was Looking at places and talking to some people near Hilton head and they had a couple small lakes in the area on a golf course. Gator was known to hang out. Never bothered no body I guess but Fuuuuuck all that shit. That’s a different mindset to live in an area where those fockers are roaming.
Yea, they do have some down on the coast, not many, but a few. i wouldn't live anywhere but the "Upstate" in SC. once you go past columbia Sc toward the coast, it get's ungodly humid during the summer.

Tank

Reaction score
Yea, they do have some down on the coast, not many, but a few. i wouldn't live anywhere but the "Upstate" in SC. once you go past columbia Sc toward the coast, it get's ungodly humid during the summer.
Yea, that's the part that turned me off. Some nice houses on the water down there though.

MohavValley

Reaction score
That is what I found here in Calvert City, KY. 10 minutes from boating (lots and lots-it will take several years to explore) and great fishing, superior hunting at Land Between the Lakes.
Very similar requirements 1 acre in city limits, 15 miles to Paducah, 2 miles to downtown Calvert City.
Very doable you just need to keep on top of the market, hit me up if you want a good real estate agent contact.
Best of luck

I did see land between the lakes on the map. I'll check out Calvert city.

How's:
1 Property tax rates?
2 registration costs for big diesel trucks, boats, trailers, motor homes?
3 smog checks required?
4 State income taxes?
5 Schools & school districts?
6 Hunting tag system & costs, if they have one?
7 gun laws & restrictions
8 hunidity in the summer?

Thanks

LOBOATOMY

Reaction score
I did see land between the lakes on the map. I'll check out Calvert city.

How's:
1 Property tax rates?
2 registration costs for big diesel trucks, boats, trailers, motor homes?
3 smog checks required?
4 State income taxes?
5 Schools & school districts?
6 Hunting tag system & costs, if they have one?
7 gun laws & restrictions
8 hunidity in the summer?

Thanks

1) Much better than Texas and WAY better than CA $100,000 is about $500/yr
2) Just got my bill for 2020 on my 2006 Ram 1500 $26.00/boats and rvs have a luxury tax, I regester my boat in TN $26/yr. Don't know about big trucks
3) What the hell is SMOG?
4) Yes you can look that up on the web.
5) As anywhere depends on location, I understand schools are pretty good around here.
6) Hunting/fishing very reasonable, Kentucky Wildlife web has the details.
7) No shooting of people allowed, or seriously frowned upon.
8) People say it is bad but I think the humidity is fine 60% maybe. You do not sweat in the sun doing nothing, Nothing like the Gulf coast.

Hope this helps, also Nashville 2 hrs drive/Memphis 3 hr and St. Louis 2 1/2 hr drive

jet496

Reaction score
Staying in Havasu got an offer accepted on a house.
This thread made me think a few days ago that maybe I could move someplace other than the desert southwest, but after about 12 hours of rain and more to come, fuck that shit! It's a mess. I grew up in the Midwest & know better. Guess I just needed a little reminder. Good thread though for people that don't mind the elements. I've been too spoiled. LOL

nameisbond

Reaction score
Central Washington State is pretty good. No state income tax. Vehicle registration reasonable. Property tax isn't too bad. Little snow in winter, but it isn't too bad. I still snow ski, so I like it. Fairly low cost of living. Central Washington State is pretty conservative. Its an open carry state.

buck35

Reaction score
Central Washington State is pretty good. No state income tax. Vehicle registration reasonable. Property tax isn't too bad. Little snow in winter, but it isn't too bad. I still snow ski, so I like it. Fairly low cost of living. Central Washington State is pretty conservative. Its an open carry state.

Shhhhh! Lol

One the wife's friends was in long Beach a while back and it was listed as a top ten place to move to in the Sunday newspaper.:eek:

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Shhhhh! Lol

One the wife's friends was in long Beach a while back and it was listed as a top ten place to move to in the Sunday newspaper.:eek:
Did she burn all the papers?:D

MohavValley

Reaction score
1) Much better than Texas and WAY better than CA $100,000 is about $500/yr
2) Just got my bill for 2020 on my 2006 Ram 1500 $26.00/boats and rvs have a luxury tax, I regester my boat in TN $26/yr. Don't know about big trucks
3) What the hell is SMOG?
4) Yes you can look that up on the web.
5) As anywhere depends on location, I understand schools are pretty good around here.
6) Hunting/fishing very reasonable, Kentucky Wildlife web has the details.
7) No shooting of people allowed, or seriously frowned upon.
8) People say it is bad but I think the humidity is fine 60% maybe. You do not sweat in the sun doing nothing, Nothing like the Gulf coast.

Hope this helps, also Nashville 2 hrs drive/Memphis 3 hr and St. Louis 2 1/2 hr drive

Thanks I've been looking between Memphis and Nashville up to Paducah. Actually looked at Calvert City, just didn't know it was Calvert. Looks like there are some big plots of land along the river there.

What are your thoughts on TN vs KY?

Last edited:

LOBOATOMY

Reaction score
I liked the centralized boating location here, don't know much regarding KY vs TN except
TN no income tax but higher property/sales tax (no free lunch) low boat registration
KY very reasonable property tax low sales tax and reasonable income tax. Auto reg very low but auto ins. seems high.
Memphis does nothing for me
Nashville is at the end of the river but one DAMN FUN town.
Very conservative area, Trump flags welcome.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
For me, only a few options: 1: Havasu. 2: LOTO. 3: Kentucky/Tennessee 4:Gulf coast Florida or Alabama.

nordic454

WWW.METALWORXLV.COM
Reaction score
My house in Henderson (not far from your shop) will be going up for sale in a month. Lol. All good specs

941Punk

some beach, somewhere.
Reaction score
Spent my entire childhood walking the beaches of Venice digging up sharks teeth in the sand. Such good memories of that entire area! And yes, there are alligators all over Florida. Further south in the Glades there are even a few saltwater crocs. Them suckers are way more aggressive than the gators.

Backlash, my buddy and I go inland where the retention ponds are being dug and pull out some beauties!
69154422_10156142626270780_5484008023867260928_o.jpg

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Getting closer to making things happen. Since we have parents in Kingman, Laughlin and Hawaii the plan is to split time between Hawaii and Havasu. Just went into escrow on a house in HavaZOO yesterday. Looks like the plan is finally moving forward. Flying out this morning to see the house in the ZOO!!! Woooo hoooo!!!!!!

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I was Zillowing around yesterday and was astounded at the cheap homes in the south. Texas has tons of cheap places. And I mean well under $100,000. I found one for $6500 LOL

Duffster

Reaction score
I recently made the the move from California out to North Carolina this year with no regrets. Yes the weather is a little different Mexican food sucks but the quality of life is so much more better and affordable out here compared to out west. Big house very close to the water 10min from the launch and 30min from the office.

wayniac

Reaction score
Being from TN there is some beautiful country back there.
My home town but a little over your budget.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5495-Dunbar-Rd-Crossville-TN-38572/55777396_zpid/

A couple in your price range. These are on the lake I grew up on.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/134-Quail-Ridge-Dr-Crossville-TN-38555/41019154_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/39-Quail-Hollow-Dr-Crossville-TN-38555/41019118_zpid/

More lake front in your budget.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/170-Bluegreen-Way-Rockwood-TN-37854/42052562_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/685-Pine-Hollow-Rd-Dayton-TN-37321/42030082_zpid/

There's a ton of places around that area within your budget and beautiful country and people.

these are making me hate my current home and state...

Wayne

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
Keep an eye out and maybe try and get a month to month or 6 month lease while you shop.

15% dip on a 350K house won't be a ton in the long run when you start looking at real world costs and loss of a tax write off.

If interest rates go up it would make even less sense when you factor giving away rent $$.
Considering the new tax laws, that tax write off is not much when you are paying the bank interest. That is only if you are able to still itemize.

MohavValley

Reaction score
I recently made the the move from California out to North Carolina this year with no regrets. Yes the weather is a little different Mexican food sucks but the quality of life is so much more better and affordable out here compared to out west. Big house very close to the water 10min from the launch and 30min from the office.

What city/,town did you end up in?

petie6464

Reaction score
Like others mentioned the south not to mention the deep south can be a hard pill to swallow coming for AZ. The humidity, the bugs and the overall depressing old run down towns and people quickly eroded the whole experience. I did a stint in OK, and a few other states, the prices are attractive and its all good looking at the beautiful green but when you're there sweltering and the jiggers and mosquitoes are eating you alive its another story. Its just hard to be comfortable when your nuts are sweating 24/7.

getoffmylawn

Reaction score
I did have a plan in mind but by the time my house went into escrow and I was able to seriously start looking at houses nothing is available. I found one house on a major street that had everything I wanted but the inside need a total remodel from its 90's Southwest theme. Its been for sale for about 3 weeks they are asking 349K for it I offered 325K and the owner was so pissed at my offer she wouldn't even counter back to me.
After it’s been on the market a few months, go back and offer her 275

MohavValley

Reaction score
View attachment 816981

We pick up this house in TN. On Kentucky Lake. 3bd 2ba 1600sqft on 8 acres for 330K. Gentle slope to our dock.

Are you actually on Kentucky lake or down in the big Sandy inlet?

How are you liking it so far?

We're looking on the east side of lake Barkley/ Cumberland River south of the 68. Does the river flood there, what's the high water mark?

RCDave

Reaction score
Havasu prices will come down, once the helium in the balloon pops. These prices are not fundamentally sustainable.

Sit on the cash and rent.

Cdog

Reaction score
The pond would be a must for me if I’m going to live in the middle of bum fuck Egypt.

I go to Oklahoma and race at Hallet raceway. It’s either cold AF!! Or hot AF!!

Last time I was there it was 18 degrees when we woke up at 6:30 am. I have a good friend that lives in Tulsa that’s a dentist.

Most of the stops on the way back to Dallas are like Bakersfield. haha ! Some fucked up snaggel tooth mofos!

Last edited:

WYRD

Reaction score
We are never going to see the market dump again in our lifetime like it did in 2008. A nice 15-20% correction would be nice so I can get what I want.
And the government would never shut down the entire country for 3months....oh waito_O

I've learned that never is rarely a possibility;)

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Are you actually on Kentucky lake or down in the big Sandy inlet?

How are you liking it so far?

We're looking on the east side of lake Barkley/ Cumberland River south of the 68. Does the river flood there, what's the high water mark?

We are down on the lake in Big Sandy. We love it so far. Getting contractors to get things done when they say they will be done is my only bitch about the place.

It does flood here in the spring. It came up to 364' this year, Full pool is 359'. TVA will not let you build anything except a dock below 375'. That is the height of the damn.

We looked a lot at Lake Barkley. There wasn't any reason we didn't buy there. Just didn't find a house we wanted in our price range. Barkley is smaller and from what others have said the water quality is not as good. We did not research that, but with the Cumberland river flowing into it I do not think the quality would be a problem.

Mike K

Reaction score
A friend of mine moved to Lake Norman , NC. Pretty cool big lake with very affordable towns around it (not waterfront for $350K) ... check out Sherrills Ford NC. on the left side of the lake ... there still are large pieces of property for cheap ... lot of NASCAR guys live at this lake.