WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Where Will Boat/'Toon Pricing Go as the Pandemic Recedes?

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Here is a great chart for everyone to check out regarding cash out refinances. Of course there was a spike last year, with rates being so low.

Capture.PNG

Boat 405

Reaction score
Look at the 90's. It happened then to. Just doesn't show up as much as it did in 2007-2008. The spike in 2020 is concerning. The 2016-2019 numbers are where they should be.

scottchbrite

Reaction score
Commercial RE is going to be the problem.

winner
Commercial will be the trigger. Residential might go flat, but not like the last crash.
Companies going remote to reduce costs and not renewing leases. Lots of folks will be sitting on empty commercial properties
First, commercial is a generic description. What sector of commercial? Medical office space is doing good. Industrial space is good
I posted earlier in this thread regarding Commercial real estate and office space. We don’t see any signs of it slowing, per say, just some changes. My wife is still executing new leases and lease renewals. The last 12 months were interesting. As I said earlier, many people were excited to work from home (like my wife’s assistants) and quickly found out they miss the office For a multitude of reasons. People will/are returning to the office. There will be employers that are able to trim people from the office and will downsize. Realistically, they were fat already though. In ‘06 we heard the same doom and gloom.
A recession is coming, change is coming. People like my wife get paid well to adapt to the change.
BTW...... We also heard Amazon is going to ruin all brick and mortar retail 😉.

Link to the largest office space lease in OC in the last 15 years- last month

and a few other articles

Reactions: DWC

riverroyal

Reaction score
3 houses for sale in my neighbor hood of about 3500 home, maybe more. They are sold before the sign goes up. Been in this house for 17 years and it has doubled. We are on a wait list for a new small community that is about 2 years out. THATS how the market is in north san diego. May not buy, but Im on the list!
Its not going to slow for years. Theres no inventory and wont be.

Singleton

Reaction score
3 houses for sale in my neighbor hood of about 3500 home, maybe more. They are sold before the sign goes up. Been in this house for 17 years and it has doubled. We are on a wait list for a new small community that is about 2 years out. THATS how the market is in north san diego. May not buy, but Im on the list!
Its not going to slow for years. Theres no inventory and wont be.

House down the street was sold in 24 hours 1800sf @ $1.31M.

We are 2400sf with a bigger back yard. Really starts making you think about cashing out. Purchased in 2010, so we could make a killing.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
House down the street was sold in 24 hours 1800sf @ $1.31M.

We are 2400sf with a bigger back yard. Really starts making you think about cashing out. Purchased in 2010, so we could make a killing.
And they are buying these houses cash or with sizable downpayments. A lot of people forget the ole 80/20 combo loan that was so prevelant back in 2003-2007. Easy to walk away from something when you have no skin in the game............

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Singleton

Reaction score
And they are buying these houses cash or with sizable downpayments. A lot of people forget the ole 80/20 combo loan that was so prevelant back in 2003-2007. Easy to walk away from something when you have no skin in the game............

Don’t know how it is being purchased. Neighbor is the one that sold it and told me the price - asking all cash or traditional mortgage is too personal IMO. Don’t care how the family got it, they move in next week

hallett21

Reaction score
My age group 28-35 is having a hell of a time buying a home. 2 income families (175k+) having to go 10-20% over asking. And you pretty much need to just take your shot and hope the inspection tells you the home is sound.

If you’re not willing to play that game 10 others are ready to buy. Not to mention there is little to no inventory.

I’m doing job walks where 20 person offices are looking for big residential properties to create some sort of hippy/work compound lol.

No one who bought in the last 2-8 years is selling unless they are upgrading. It’s more expensive to rent than own with current refi rates.

Edit: wife and I are just trying to figure out how to buy some sizable dirt and rent our house out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
was this thread about toon pricing or the housing market, I got a little confused I hope you guys don't mind if drop this here... 😉

In speaking with a pontoon dealer again this week, something new came up... manufacturers have passed on to dealers that a shortage in foam for the auto and boat industry currently exist due to the recent events in Texas. It may not be driving costs higher, but possibly adding some more delays.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
First, commercial is a generic description. What sector of commercial? Medical office space is doing good. Industrial space is good
I posted earlier in this thread regarding Commercial real estate and office space. We don’t see any signs of it slowing, per say, just some changes. My wife is still executing new leases and lease renewals. The last 12 months were interesting. As I said earlier, many people were excited to work from home (like my wife’s assistants) and quickly found out they miss the office For a multitude of reasons. People will/are returning to the office. There will be employers that are able to trim people from the office and will downsize. Realistically, they were fat already though. In ‘06 we heard the same doom and gloom.
A recession is coming, change is coming. People like my wife get paid well to adapt to the change.
BTW...... We also heard Amazon is going to ruin all brick and mortar retail 😉.

Link to the largest office space lease in OC in the last 15 years- last month

and a few other articles

Retail and Warehouse are gonna be fine. It’s office space that will have an upheaval.

I know several Fortune 500 companies that are selling their corporate campuses, and expect only a single digit percentage to not work from home and just need “hotel cubes and offices” for those that come into the office occasionally.

The office setting isn’t dead, But it is going to shrink and change. companies are already realizing they can now hire cheaper talent that works 100% remote or in a lower priced market.

I was looking for jobs last summer and interviewed for several Bay Area based positions and they had no problem with me living in So Cal. They were interviewing people in Vegas and Phoenix as well.

hallett21

Reaction score
I can see a pull back in used prices if people go back to traveling abroad, playing travel sports etc. Boat ownership is expensive, especially if it’s not a routine family affair.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Don't forget gas prices are going up! They should be hitting 5 dollar range everywhere here in the next few months. That will slow down a percentage of boaters this year.
Truth. May be more than $5. I paid $3.99 for 87 today. It's been going up 10 cents every few days for the last couple weeks.

Sent From Tapatalk

riverroyal

Reaction score
There is a price that id go boatless a few summers.
After the shit show last summer...
We didnt use it much last year. Powell was epic though

DWC

Reaction score
Not sure how long this was on the lot. Saw it yesterday in the morning. Thought it was @Wmc ’s.’ Turns out it wasn’t and now it’s gone..

1615CF5F-34C7-41E9-B563-36707DF1DF68.jpeg

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
There is a price that id go boatless a few summers.
After the shit show last summer...
We didnt use it much last year. Powell was epic though

I can't say that I plan on going a "few summers" without a boat, but this one for sure will be just fine.

boatnam2

Reaction score
I can't say that I plan on going a "few summers" without a boat, but this one for sure will be just fine.
I'm with ya! Going to be weird this year without a boat, surfboard don't cost much to run and the beach is free so it will be a pretty cheap year.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I'm with ya! Going to be weird this year without a boat, surfboard don't cost much to run and the beach is free so it will be a pretty cheap year.

its weird having the garage and the slip empty, however the marina continues to be busy and they are doing "a lease buy back" program so I can keep my slip and while I'm not using it they rent it out.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
was this thread about toon pricing or the housing market, I got a little confused I hope you guys don't mind if drop this here... 😉

In speaking with a pontoon dealer again this week, something new came up... manufacturers have passed on to dealers that a shortage in foam for the auto and boat industry currently exist due to the recent events in Texas. It may not be driving costs higher, but possibly adding some more delays.
Along supply problem lines:

Wife’s been wanting a new Tahoe, has bought from same dealer family 30 years. Owner of dealer said there was a meeting this week on the shortage of microchips that will affect production of several mfg.’s
Never heard outcome of the meeting but was told don’t expect any large shipments of Tahoe’s anytime soon.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
its weird having the garage and the slip empty, however the marina continues to be busy and they are doing "a lease buy back" program so I can keep my slip and while I'm not using it they rent it out.
I’d rent directly from you if I could lol.

PlanB

Reaction score

They only give you a percentage of your slip fee. I never did the lease back because of that.

riverroyal

Reaction score

Wife’s been wanting a new Tahoe, has bought from same dealer family 30 years. Owner of dealer said there was a meeting this week on the shortage of microchips that will affect production of several mfg.’s
Never heard outcome of the meeting but was told don’t expect any large shipments of Tahoe’s anytime soon.
5 months to get the F150 i ordered.

Your ad here

Reaction score
As responses come its got me thinking. As long as pontoons remain popular the price is not going down. What plays into the pricing is the demand for them and building materials/supplies are in a shortage currently, so price has to go up. Only way I see prices leveling off is when the material/suppliers catch up. I predict the pricing will go down significantly when the trend is over and there is a surplus of used units on the market. Kinda like the custom chopper scene in the early to mid 2000's. When the trend is over, just parking an item this big cost money and people will want that cost gone. In about 10-15 years foresee a lot of these nice boats being owned by hoarders with land and living the rest of its days in a dirt field rotting away.

Last edited:

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score

[emoji85]
If I remember correctly I think that Texas was where the Tahoe’s actually come from.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I’d rent directly from you if I could lol.

I wish I could do that! Easy to understand why they don’t allow it tho. They would never know who supposed to be in there.

Your ad here

Reaction score
My gas stop last night on the way to Havasu:

View attachment 981456
Crap that's bad and usually Dillon has had decent prices when I used to stop there. If prices keep going up its gonna be, pack a lunch we're going from Windsor to 3 dunes today instead of going to Havasu springs for lunch. Next increase is Windsor to Channel. After that, ride a bike to the Channel.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
They only give you a percentage of your slip fee. I never did the lease back because of that.

They only charge me half. Still too much when they are getting paid for it daily or even monthly but I am grateful that I get half off (better than nothing). Drives me nuts to pay for it and not be using it.
Remembering how hard it was to get a slip I know better than to give it up now.

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
My age group 28-35 is having a hell of a time buying a home. 2 income families (175k+) having to go 10-20% over asking. And you pretty much need to just take your shot and hope the inspection tells you the home is sound.

If you’re not willing to play that game 10 others are ready to buy. Not to mention there is little to no inventory.

I’m doing job walks where 20 person offices are looking for big residential properties to create some sort of hippy/work compound lol.

No one who bought in the last 2-8 years is selling unless they are upgrading. It’s more expensive to rent than own with current refi rates.

Edit: wife and I are just trying to figure out how to buy some sizable dirt and rent our house out

Right there with ya on this. My wife and I are 32 years old making good money with no kids and we are having a tough time getting an offer accepted. Just lost another one this week where I thought we were enough above asking to get it and someone out bid us and also supposedly had better terms. We have a family friend that lives down the street and knows the sellers and because of that we knew exactly what they wanted on their terms and met them...

Makes me wonder what all these people do for work lol. Bummer it didn’t work out but I guess I get to hold onto my money a bit longer.

The most difficult thing is finding something and then looking at it to make up your mind before it sells. Some of us have full time jobs and can’t just leave on a whim to look at a house!

DuttonDave

Your RDP Connection For Buick, GMC & Cadillac
Reaction score
Went and looked a new ride for my wife last night. Used car, all the bells/whistles/features/color she’s looking for. Got there and the F’g dealership does a $2,500 “ceramic coat” and $500 theft protection on EVERY car on the lot. Asked them to take off the extras and come down a little on the price. No deal. Still looking..
Don't fall for that BS... There are a few bad dealers still out there. If you need some Advice call me.

DWC

Reaction score
Don't fall for that BS... There are a few bad dealers still out there. If you need some Advice call me.
Will do, thank you. It’s always such a painful process visiting a dealer. I get it from the dealer standpoint. There’s plenty of people that fall for “how much do you want to pay a month”. I was all good with the advertised price and ok with the trade-in value. The extras that weren’t optional are BS.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Will do, thank you. It’s always such a painful process visiting a dealer. I get it from the dealer standpoint. There’s plenty of people that fall for “how much do you want to pay a month”. I was all good with the advertised price and ok with the trade-in value. The extras that weren’t optional are BS.
@DuttonDave is as good as it gets. We couldn’t be happier with our experience with him.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
What’s the profit margin on this pig?

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score

Same price as a fully loaded wake boat. Seems hard to justify for sure, but someone will pay it and have a bad ass boat.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

The same as the margin on a $100k pontoon, plus another $229k and minus the the cost of the extra engine :)