WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Which direction to head out

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
So.....I will hit the road in late April or early May running around the country. Last year I headed East all the way to FL and then started fading NW into SD and all points in between and loved the midwest.

I was thinking of heading North this time and then reversing back down to FL and then West.

Would love to hit the redwoods in N CA but don't want to pay the diesel charges out there so that is out.

Its a blank canvas so any ideas????

Ultra...Good

Reaction score
Ever been in the Upper Peninsula of MI or Northern WI? Whole lot of places to go and things to do. Mid June through mid September is usually perfect weather. If you like to fish, hike, really anything outdoors, this is a great place to do it.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Ever been in the Upper Peninsula of MI or Northern WI? Whole lot of places to go and things to do. Mid June through mid September is usually perfect weather. If you like to fish, hike, really anything outdoors, this is a great place to do it.
Haven't been to either state. That could work.....plenty of places for RVs off grid and RV Parks?

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Anybody have any suggestions on where to stay around Yellowstone. Everything I have been checking out is completely booked up. Damn Covid and all the new RVers.....lol Hoping the gas prices are going to keep em all home

Ultra...Good

Reaction score
Haven't been to either state. That could work.....plenty of places for RVs off grid and RV Parks?

Yes there are a bunch of off grid places in MI. You pay $5 for a camping permit which you staple to a tree and leave it there when you go. It is just to make sure you clean up your garbage. Most of the places in MI have nothing more then a public toilet from what I have seen. WI has campgrounds that have showers and such but they are a litttle more expensive per night.

I will admit that I do no know everything about what is available. My family has owned a 3 bedroom cabin on the lake since the 50's and that has always been my idea of camping, lol !! Let me look into it and see what I can find.

JD D05

Reaction score
Anybody have any suggestions on where to stay around Yellowstone. Everything I have been checking out is completely booked up. Damn Covid and all the new RVers.....lol Hoping the gas prices are going to keep em all home

Look at Island Park. Also tons of camping without hookups there. If it makes the cut let me know and I can tell you exactly where to go.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Look at Island Park. Also tons of camping without hookups there. If it makes the cut let me know and I can tell you exactly where to go.
Thanks.....I will let ya know. Exactly the kind of info I am looking for

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Yes there are a bunch of off grid places in MI. You pay $5 for a camping permit which you staple to a tree and leave it there when you go. It is just to make sure you clean up your garbage. Most of the places in MI have nothing more then a public toilet from what I have seen. WI has campgrounds that have showers and such but they are a litttle more expensive per night.

I will admit that I do no know everything about what is available. My family has owned a 3 bedroom cabin on the lake since the 50's and that has always been my idea of camping, lol !! Let me look into it and see what I can find.
lol....Appreciate that

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I grew up there. In a tiny town 9 miles out called Baker.
North Fork is where I stayed before. I got info on this park there and considered buying it. The on going labor costs sunk that deal

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Suggestions around Flatlake MT?
When are you planning to go to flathead? I'm still planning to pull the boat up there for a week and then over to WA to Lake Wenatchee and Chelan around July.

I need to look up the name of this town I stopped in about 6 weeks ago while there. Lot of close to water rv parks and it was beautiful up there.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
When are you planning to go to flathead? I'm still planning to pull the boat up there for a week and then over to WA to Lake Wenatchee and Chelan around July.

I need to look up the name of this town I stopped in about 6 weeks ago while there. Lot of close to water rv parks and it was beautiful up there.
Still deciding on direction. Lol

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
My dad stayed at Redrock RV Park in Island Park, ID last September when he visited Yellowstone NP.

Looking forward to following your journey.

How about up to Kalispell, ID, then northern MT. Sturgis again this year?

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
We will be here in Cottonwood until the end of April. If you head up this way by then, let us know.

Last edited:

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Island park looks cool. Ennis MT is a great town, but the wind was terrible in the fall. The town is a great jump-off point for a lot of cool places to check out. *Ennis RV resort is where we stayed it was nice. Tavern 287 is good. McAllister steak house is a must-stop. Simply a fantastic meal. Hopefully, in a year or two we will have a good spot at Flathead lake for you to come to stay.

There are some nice places closer to West Yellowstone on the 287, I would check into. More protected from the wind and better walk and wade fishing options.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score

Polson?

Ducksquasher

Reaction score
Island park looks cool. Ennis MT is a great town, but the wind was terrible in the fall. The town is a great jump-off point for a lot of cool places to check out. *Ennis RV resort is where we stayed it was nice. Tavern 287 is good. McAllister steak house is a must-stop. Simply a fantastic meal. Hopefully, in a year or two we will have a good spot at Flathead lake for you to come to stay.

There are some nice places closer to West Yellowstone on the 287, I would check into. More protected from the wind and better walk and wade fishing options.
We are staying in Island Park this summer and then bouncing over to Mt. Rushmore. Any advice on areas to fish and towns in Montana would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

evantwheeler

Reaction score
We are staying in Island Park this summer and then bouncing over to Mt. Rushmore. Any advice on areas to fish and towns in Montana would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I don't know if you want to head West before you head East, but the Bitteroot valley is breathtaking. I drove through, North to South last fall, and a trip back to that area is on my list. I know there is lots of fishing in the area based on some acquaintances that live there, but like anywhere you aren't familiar with, if you don't have a good guide, you may be spending more time casting & retrieving than catching.