WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Which Half ton toy hauler

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
ok guys,

Before we start please don’t tell me to buy a f450 because it’s not gonna happen!!!

I am looking for a half ton toy hauler that fits a xp1k4 and has a front bredroom, preferably a walk around bed.

I would like to find a trailer that has 6000lb dry weight if possible? Any suggestions

My wife and I love the attitude 27sa but fear it maybe too much trailer for the truck.

Trailer will be used in havasu during the summer and desert during the winter.

Suggestions on which toy hauler works for me

I have a 2013 F150 ecoboost 4x4 with a trailer tow package. I am good for 10,000 lbs max.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
You should be fine to pull that Attitude 27. 6900 dry weight.

Main thing with half ton trucks is to run D or E rated tires. Makes a huge difference when hauling.

chvynhra

Reaction score
Genesis 25, I've shopped em all, best 1/2 option.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
ok guys,

Before we start please don’t tell me to buy a f450 because it’s not gonna happen!!!

I am looking for a half ton toy hauler that fits a xp1k4 and has a front bredroom, preferably a walk around bed.

I would like to find a trailer that has 6000lb dry weight if possible? Any suggestions

My wife and I love the attitude 27sa but fear it maybe too much trailer for the truck.

I have a 2013 F150 ecoboost 4x4 with a trailer tow package. I am good for 10,000 lbs max.

We had a 26 or 27 attitude and I towed it with a 2011 eco boost. The weight was never a problem. I would stick with a 26-28 max. A few must on your set up 1 get airbags. 2 make sure you back the rzr in the trailer or it will whip like a mother!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Runs2rch

Reaction score
We had a 26 or 27 attitude and I towed it with a 2011 eco boost. The weight was never a problem. I would stick with a 26-28 max. A few must on your set up 1 get airbags. 2 make sure you back the rzr in the trailer or it will whip like a mother!!

Another option instead of bags is Timbren SES.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score

I plan to do airbags, and good advice about backing it in? How did it stop and do with crosswind?

I know I have plenty of power to pull the trailer.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Another option instead of bags is Timbren SES.

Those would work decent. I liked the airbags a lot but those would be cheaper. If you do the airbags you need to pump the airbags up first then hook the trailer and load leveler up. If you set the trailer up first then put the air in there digging against each other.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I plan to do airbags, and good advice about backing it in? How did it stop and do with crosswind?

I know I have plenty of power to pull the trailer.

if you set it up right you won’t have any issues. The f150 has a towing assist that breaks individual wheels if it starts to whip. With good trailer brakes and a good trailer brake controller you won’t have any issues. I loaded mine down to the max and and never had issues as long as the rzr was backed in. The 2 times I pulled the rzr in I couldn’t go over 55 without it moving around. Make sure you pump the airbags up first and use it like an add a leaf set up then hook up the load leveler. I made the mistake of setting the trailer up first then putting air in and that made it way to tight and the two were working against each other. I had the air rite bags and I used the air rite compressor that has the remote inside.

USMC2010

Reaction score
We have Firestone airbags and Torklift StableLoad Quick Disconnects carried over from when we had our Lance truck camper. Using both work better than just bags, less air is needed for leveling.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
My shockwave 24fs has a walk around front bedroom with queen bed, spacious bathroom and fits 4 seat 1000cc rzr. It is 6400lbs dry. Trailer actually measures 28feet plus the tongue.

USMC2010

Reaction score
My shockwave 24fs has a walk around front bedroom with queen bed, spacious bathroom and fits 4 seat 1000cc rzr. It is 6400lbs dry. Trailer actually measures 28feet plus the tongue.
Is yours an actual queen? Our 2016 Sandstorm 250slc has a queen short :( I wonder if that was a change in the last couple years from when we bought ours.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
The Genesis 25 chvynhra suggested would be high on my list for your truck. I have an 32ak 5'er Attitude, have not been happy with the company won't ever buy another, bought this new, company sucks big time. I will just leave it at that.
I don't know what your experience is with towing so please excuse me if you know all of this...
When you buy air bags the best right now are the Firestone RED, dunno if the make them for your truck but if they do that would be my suggestion.
When you get to setting up your easy lift weight distributing hitch really follow the directions to the letter. At least 50% of every trailer I see going down the road have the damn hitch set up wrong.
We had a 10 ft Arctic fox camper on my old F350 and pulled a 22 ft. toybox behind it. I had the 42 inch Torklift extension and the weight distributing hitch. The hitch when set up right, actually stabilized the truck and camper package. Before release the W/D bars take some load off of them...and be careful when doing so.
If you find crosswind towing is giving you fits you might consider putting a shock absorber kit on the trailer. It helps. Also look for my thread on the
EZ-Flex suspension kit for the tandem axle RV's. almost every RV out there has nylon bushings in the leaf spring eyes and the walking beam in the center. They will self begin to self destruct in just a few hundred miles. Mine were completely wasted in less than 5k. There is an easy fix...I did a thread on it last year.

Just remember FBT's rule on RVs. There are two classes of RV's the average guy can afford.
1)Cheap junk.
2)Expensive junk.
And...a sub category of (2) Very expensive not quite as junk....but still not what you think they should be.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Is yours an actual queen? Our 2016 Sandstorm 250slc has a queen short :( I wonder if that was a change in the last couple years from when we bought ours.

I bought queen size sheets at target and they fit perfect so I assume it's a full queen. The bed is more comfortable than my matress at home lol

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the shockwave 24fs. Awesome layout. And I paid 24k new for it
20180304_134000.jpg
20180304_133856.jpg
20180304_133949.jpg
20180316_135353.jpg
20180317_151413.jpg
20180317_161424.jpg
20180304_133740.jpg
20180317_161633.jpg
20180317_161651.jpg
20180316_135316.jpg
20180317_161348.jpg

Attachments

• 20180923_100357.jpg
    20180923_100357.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 302

tkrrox

Reaction score
Been real happy with my forest river products. Had 2

CLdrinker

Reaction score
My brother has the attitude 27. He used to haul it with a 2015 Tundra it did ok but it was working it pretty hard. He upgraded to a f250.

You will be right at 10k.

For what it’s worth. My truck is rated for 10k and there is no fucking way I would try to haul that much with it.
My trailer is around 7500lbs

Rbcconst

Reaction score
My brother has the attitude 27. He used to haul it with a 2015 Tundra it did ok but it was working it pretty hard. He upgraded to a f250.

You will be right at 10k.

For what it’s worth. My truck is rated for 10k and there is no fucking way I would try to haul that much with it.
My trailer is around 7500lbs

The ecoboost in the F150 won’t have any problems as long as it’s the max tow with the 373 gears. Mine ripped with 10k behind it. I’m not one of those pro ford guys as I have a Chevy now but just speaking from experience in the f150 that I had.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Andy01

Reaction score
Ian call me tomorrow. I’m going to the show Wednesday. Really want a small toy hauler but my rzr fitting is the issue.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Ian call me tomorrow. I’m going to the show Wednesday. Really want a small toy hauler but my rzr fitting is the issue.
Shockwave offers a 21 foot toyhauler that fits a 4 seat rzr

CLdrinker

Reaction score
The ecoboost in the F150 won’t have any problems as long as it’s the max tow with the 373 gears. Mine ripped with 10k behind it. I’m not one of those pro ford guys as I have a Chevy now but just speaking from experience in the f150 that I had.

Power isn’t the problem.

Riley1

Reaction score
28 SAG 5th wheel. Half ton towable. Best of both worlds.

Big Chorizo

Reaction score
Coming from experience, I had an F150 and towed close and at it’s max tow for years before I upgraded to an F250. Will the F150 have the power to pull it, yes. Will it be an enjoyable stress fee tow maybe, wasn’t for me. If I was towing with a 1/2 I would stick with a dry weight of 6k and under, stay a thousand pounds or more under your max. Just my 2 cents.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
The Genesis 25 chvynhra suggested would be high on my list for your truck. I have an 32ak 5'er Attitude, have not been happy with the company won't ever buy another, bought this new, company sucks big time. I will just leave it at that.
I don't know what your experience is with towing so please excuse me if you know all of this...
When you buy air bags the best right now are the Firestone RED, dunno if the make them for your truck but if they do that would be my suggestion.
When you get to setting up your easy lift weight distributing hitch really follow the directions to the letter. At least 50% of every trailer I see going down the road have the damn hitch set up wrong.
We had a 10 ft Arctic fox camper on my old F350 and pulled a 22 ft. toybox behind it. I had the 42 inch Torklift extension and the weight distributing hitch. The hitch when set up right, actually stabilized the truck and camper package. Before release the W/D bars take some load off of them...and be careful when doing so.
If you find crosswind towing is giving you fits you might consider putting a shock absorber kit on the trailer. It helps. Also look for my thread on the
EZ-Flex suspension kit for the tandem axle RV's. almost every RV out there has nylon bushings in the leaf spring eyes and the walking beam in the center. They will self begin to self destruct in just a few hundred miles. Mine were completely wasted in less than 5k. There is an easy fix...I did a thread on it last year.

Just remember FBT's rule on RVs. There are two classes of RV's the average guy can afford.
1)Cheap junk.
2)Expensive junk.
And...a sub category of (2) Very expensive not quite as junk....but still not what you think they should be.
good info.… I see the same , weight dist. hitch... but hook'd up wrong.... you have to start with measuring the wheel wells, and end up with the same measurement for them to work proper...I like using sumo's instaed of air bags and they seem to work better for me as they are set them up right and forget about them for ever,.. air bags are nice... but all ways adjusting and hoping they don't get a leak....the big thing I see people doing is using a lfted truck to tow , then driving too fast....front tire blows and you and everybody riding with you are fucked....I always start with running the truck across the scales, then adding the trailer to see where every thing is at....not setting up the hitch right takes too much weight off the front tires.... that when trouble starts....the " I just passed a diesel pusher!'' guys going by with their trailers whipping all over the road are pretty scary.. sure you can go 70 plus... but , that's a lotta trust in mechanical .. again... there's a lot that can go wrong.... guess I'm just the the old guy that figured out to slow down....

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Coming from experience, I had an F150 and towed close and at it’s max tow for years before I upgraded to an F250. Will the F150 have the power to pull it, yes. Will it be an enjoyable stress fee tow maybe, wasn’t for me. If I was towing with a 1/2 I would stick with a dry weight of 6k and under, stay a thousand pounds or more under your max. Just my 2 cents.
I think what usually happens is the guy already has the F150... then decides to start towing....but if you are gonna tow....and shopping for the truck first... look past 1/2 ton trucks... they are just passenger vech. that you can carry a wheel barrow...by the time you out fit a 1/2 ton to safely tow 10k.... you could have bought a 250..

Rbcconst

Reaction score

one of those trucks is a 1 ton dully towing a lighter trailer. Showing it can happen in any truck. Set up is important as well as driver safety. There is a reason why the towing speed limit is 55. Towing 1/2 ton isn’t what you would select if you were buying the truck first but it can be done safely as long as the weight matches the truck.

Big Chorizo

Reaction score
If my truck had a 10,000lbs max tow I would try and stay around 8,000lbs loaded for a 1/2 ton. Having to find a trailer sized big enough to fit a 4 seat RZR will be tough. Even at 6000lbs Dry + 1300lbs Water & Gear + 1700lbs RZR = 9000lbs . A lot of good info in the videos.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Yea I know it’s borderline for the truck, but it’s what I own and buying a new truck isn’t an option right now.

Thanks for the suggestions on the floor plans to look for.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Since everyone talking rv’s, has anyone gone to the Pomona show yet? Thinking about heading over.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Yea I know it’s borderline for the truck, but it’s what I own and buying a new truck isn’t an option right now.

4x4 max tow equipped Ecoboost is 11k range towing isn't it?

Rbcconst

Reaction score
If my truck had a 10,000lbs max tow I would try and stay around 8,000lbs loaded for a 1/2 ton. Having to find a trailer sized big enough to fit a 4 seat RZR will be tough. Even at 6000lbs Dry + 1300lbs Water & Gear + 1700lbs RZR = 9000lbs . A lot of good info in the videos.

If I had to do it again I would look for an older weekend warrior superlite 5th wheel. The 2805.

Here is a 3005

Weekend Warrior Superlite Toy box 5th Wheel
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/rvs/d/weekend-warrior-superlite-toy/6706203374.html

Looking back I had the 26 attitude front sleeper with the aluminum siding. I think it was about 10k lbs fully loaded. I had to take one of the wheels off the rzr and put a wheel on without a tire and back that all the way in to the cabinet on a piece of plywood then I had 1/2” clearance to the back gate. No bumpers front or back.

It was not a walk around front sleeper. My knees hit the door when sitting on the toilet.

In that size bumper pull a front bathroom model would have been better but to be truthful I had to have the front sleeper so if the kids or guest were with us I could still get a piece of Ass!!

I think the 2805 ww superlight 5th wheel weighs about 6500 lbs.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
ok guys,

Try to find one of these in the 2805 there around 6500 dry.

Weekend Warrior Superlite Toy box 5th Wheel
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/rvs/d/weekend-warrior-superlite-toy/6706203374.html

Big Chorizo

Reaction score

To answers your original question, I think that Shockwave 24FS would be a good fit for you. Its dry weight is right around 6200lbs. I had a Forestriver toy hauler for 10 years that I just sold, never had one issue with it, trailer was rock solid. Couldn't pay me to own a warrior, every single one of my friends that had one had issues.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=181&Image=5075&ModelID=3586#Main

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
For the money the 24FS shockwave @Big B Hova has is the best buy for a new trailer. Nice trailer. It actually measures close to 27' for box length, as he found out once parked in the driveway lol. It comes in at slightly over 10k max weight on the sticker, no idea what it actually would scale in at. Not alot of cargo room but you can squeeze the rzr in there by wiping some crisco on the walls, and still have room for a sheet of paper behind it :)

Meaney77

Reaction score
I have had all types- bumper pulls and 5th wheels and my single piece of advice is to save your money and buy a motor-home especially since your expecting your 1st kid. Traveling is so much easier in the motor-home- no need to stop for bathroom breaks, or to feed kids. You pretty much get in and get to your destination. There are some really good deals on used motor-homes also.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I have had all types- bumper pulls and 5th wheels and my single piece of advice is to save your money and buy a motor-home especially since your expecting your 1st kid. Traveling is so much easier in the motor-home- no need to stop for bathroom breaks, or to feed kids. You pretty much get in and get to your destination. There are some really good deals on used motor-homes also.

Thats the pitch my buddies gave me when I had my first kid. We did it, sold the trailer and got a motorhome. Ended up going back to the toy hauler for the following reasons:

-The tow vehice can be disconnected and used as transportation once your there

-The toy hauler can be used to store the rzr and dirtbikes when not in use, keeping the garage free and clear

-I need a truck anyways for river trips, so the motorhome did not eliminate the need for the truck. Cheaper to purchase and maintain the trailer

-For river trips when we camped at park moabi, you can arrive and set the trailer up, then you can use the truck as a launch vehicle to tow the boat to and from storage. You would have to fully dismantle your camping setup to take the motorhome anywhere if it was needed.

-For offroad trips / dry camping the capacity of the toy hauler fresh water was much greater. My 26' bumper pull carries 150 gallons of fresh water. Unless you go big on the motorhome, most of them have smaller tanks

The downside to the truck / trailer setup is I can't tow my boat and trailer obviously, but the need to do that is pretty much zero as we store the boat at the river. I do miss having the motorhome for quick camping trips without the offroad toys, and the kids did enjoy riding in the motorhome. We never did the "let the kids go poop while dad continues to drive" scenario, but that would be a plus for the motorhome lol

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Thought about this too! Since I have a flatbed for the rzr already too. I just don’t see any that would be worth it in the 30 k or less range. Then again I haven’t looked that hard. The motorhome only becomes a challenge during the summer months to get my boat out of storage and launch it.