WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Which truck to buy?

JLG614

Signature Garage Design / Epoxy Flooring
Reaction score
Alright this is my last post about buying a truck. My family has narrowed it down to these two. Need some RDP advice on which we should buy. It will be towing our families 38 Mystic CC. We are looking a newer f650 and a new C5500 Kodiak. Both trucks are air ride with all the bells and whistles. They both come with the same motor as the pickup trucks do. So the ford has the 6.7L Diesel and the Kodiak has the 6.6L Diesel. It will be used as a tow vehicle but once the boat is in havasu it will be there and not towed back until winter. We might use the truck as our river vehicle though and i know it won't be the most comfortable ride. Does anyone have experience with the new trucks with these motor set ups?
lagunablue-3.jpg

RED-CV-CUSTOM-WHEELS-2.jpg

Attachments

• lagunablue-3.jpg
    lagunablue-3.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 154

JLG614

Reaction score
I am a Chevy guy but that blue Ford will match that CC . Either truck will do the job I am sure😁
lol the pictures are just for reference. whichever truck we buy will be white, black, or silver

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
What the hell do you for a living I want your job a sand car and big ass truck what did I do wrong in life lol 😂

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Both trucks will do the job but the Ford is a lot nicer looking.

rickym20

Reaction score
lol the pictures are just for reference. whichever truck we buy will be white, black, or silver
Well then I have nothing to contribute haha, either choice is going to be a beast👍🏼.

DLC

Reaction score
who would you have service the truck one shop closer / easier than the other?

flip a coin....
heads - found off road dead
tails - you got a chubby

those baller rims on the chubby are sweet!

JLG614

Reaction score
who would you have service the truck one shop closer / easier than the other?

flip a coin....
heads - found off road dead
tails - you got a chubby

those baller rims on the chubby are sweet!
They're both pretty easy as far as service go because they are the same engines they use in all of their diesel trucks, any local dealership should be able to do it. The chassis would go to another shop we use that would work on either. it wouldn't make a difference.

lol we have had amazing luck with the 6.7 ford motors. we have about 10 in our fleet from 2012-2020 models and none have given us any major issues and they are worked hard.

I really like the looks of the chevy. I don't think we would go with those rims. Probably just stick with 22.5 alcoas for the classy look

NicPaus

Reaction score
You can get the Chevy in a 6500. I looked at both side by side at the work truck display at auto show. The 650 Ford was huge in comparison. Either will work.

JLG614

Reaction score
You can get the Chevy in a 6500. I looked at both side by side at the work truck display at auto show. The 650 Ford was huge in comparison. Either will work.
Thats what i was thinking. i haven't seen both side by side but I think the f650 is huge. not sure if we want that big of a truck

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
They're both pretty easy as far as service go because they are the same engines they use in all of their diesel trucks, any local dealership should be able to do it. The chassis would go to another shop we use that would work on either. it wouldn't make a difference.

lol we have had amazing luck with the 6.7 ford motors. we have about 10 in our fleet from 2012-2020 models and none have given us any major issues and they are worked hard.

I really like the looks of the chevy. I don't think we would go with those rims. Probably just stick with 22.5 alcoas for the classy look
This is not true at all. Just because it is the same engine does not mean your normal dealer will work on a medium duty truck. Also most normal dealers do not have medium duty parts or able to purchase them. Know this from first hand experience with mine.

Taboma

Reaction score
I walked out of the room when I heard about the 38' Mystic being in Havasu for the summer. 😖
Yeah I know, damned small boat advocates. 🤣

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
With the problems TPC had this year with his Chevy, I’d lean towards the Ford. They all have problems, but the Fords seem to not have as many problems being able to fix things. With that though, going to the medium duty might be a whole different ballgame. 🤷‍♂️

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I really like the looks of the new Chevy medium duty trucks. WAY better than the 2500/3500's.

Check which transmission each come with. GM is sticking with the 6 speed Allison in their medium duty trucks versus going to the 10 speed used in the light duty versions. I'm not sure about what Ford does in theirs.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
Not to get off topic but I found you a sand car

MeCasa16

Reaction score
I prefer the aftermarket upgrades on the Ford for aesthetic purposes. I'm sure both trucks are amazing.