WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

While Dave was "fixing a battery box"

getreal

Reaction score
I made some more engine hatch vents for Skater.
The material started out: 1-1/2" x 5" x 23".
The first set I did last year for the Miami Boat Show.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Looks great Roy. One of these days I am going to stop in as I drive by your place!!

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I almost stopped on my way back home. Looked like you were closing it up tho, Damn. Well next time.

rrrr

Reaction score
That's some nice work. It sure made a lotta chips. 😁

I'm curious about the longevity of tooling used in projects like this. How long do the various tools used in producing these parts stay sharp? Can they be reworked and reused, or do you just buy new ones?

I don't know much about machining at all. In spite of my good fortune in being exposed to a huge variety of fabrication and construction disciplines since an early age, the only experience I have is making a few crude parts on a Bridgeport mill. I really enjoy following threads about production of machined parts. I'd volunteer to sweep floors for @Racey in a second.

lenmann

Reaction score
So cool. You sir have some very nice equipment. Lots of shops would have just cut the openings normal to the X-Y plane. Having a 5 axis machining center lets you cut them normal to the curved exterior surface. Pretty high zoot.

The design kinda reminds me of a moorish/moroccan window screen. Better than chicken wire I guess.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
Awesome! I'm curious why you did each side on different machines and setups?

getreal

Reaction score
Awesome! I'm curious why you did each side on different machines and setups?

That way both were running at the same time. Cycle times are over 1 hour for first op and 2 hours for second.

getreal

Reaction score
That's some nice work. It sure made a lotta chips. 😁

I'm curious about the longevity of tooling used in projects like this. How long do the various tools used in producing these parts stay sharp? Can they be reworked and reused, or do you just buy new ones?

I don't know much about machining at all. In spite of my good fortune in being exposed to a huge variety of fabrication and construction disciplines since an early age, the only experience I have is making a few crude parts on a Bridgeport mill. I really enjoy following threads about production of machined parts. I'd volunteer to sweep floors for @Racey in a second.

Tools last longer if you do it right.
I always use 2 tools, 1 for roughing and 1 for finishing. When the finisher wears, I move it to a rougher.