WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Whining Noise

GottaJet

Reaction score
I just got back from a river trip and now my 04 Silvy has a whining squealing noise from the right rear wheel. It intermittently matches the wheel rotation and seems to not be a brake issue. As I said I was at the river so it was submerged several times. Is there something I need to relube maybe parking brake bearing? Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Wife in the car? I seem to pick up a whining noise occasionally when mine is...

Doubtful it's a bearing, they are bathed in oil from the rear end. Could be a rock (sand) stuck in a brake shoe /pad. Could also be brakes having worn to the squeelers while towing out and back

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
The steps I would take:

1. Pull tire get a good look at the brakes. Post pics here if you have concerns.

2. Drain and refill rear end (now is the time to go with synthetic too, Lucas makes some quality stuff)

If nothing is wrong, you are out a few hours and $50 in gear oil.

GottaJet

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm gonna pull the wheel in the morning

Caydens Cat

all I got was a t-shirt
Reaction score
Check the brake pads. If you can apply it and it goes away, likely a pad. Or doubtful, if it continues could be something in your drum (emergency brake) or bearing. I recently replaced mine that had the same intermittent issue and it was the inner pad...

GottaJet

Reaction score
Thanks guys... I pulled the wheel pads were good no rocks or debris. One thing I'm hearing is the parking brake has its own little drum system so I think that's what I'll check next so please keep the ideas coming they are much appreciated.