WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Whipple ECU Reprogram?

outboardrick

Reaction score
I see that Whipple is now reprogramming the Merc ECU for the 350Mag, anyone had one done and did it make much difference? I know deep down that it probably isn't worth the price ($690) but it has my curiosity up.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I see that Whipple is now reprogramming the Merc ECU for the 350Mag, anyone had one done and did it make much difference? I know deep down that it probably isn't worth the price ($690) but it has my curiosity up.

690$ is cheap for a reflash.

RD

outboardrick

Reaction score
It is if it works well. I just don't know how much will be gained, and probably anyone that has done this has also made other changes at the same time so info on the reflash alone may be hard to come by.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Long story said short, call @BoostPower talk to Alexi he will tell you the straights of it. He did my 496ho pcm for 479$ was total 502$ and came with a Shirt and it’s my size, Whipple wanted 745$ plus shipping and I’ll bet i wouldn’t have gotten a shirt also, the shirt alone made me happier then the actual 1/3% the over all cost. Plus he was real straight with me about what i could expect gain wise vs Whipple just claiming 10% hp
He explained where I’d see the gains and tq line change. As well he never made me feel like i was bothering him by calling the shop Whipple just acted like “yea this is what we do and we are the best, period...”

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
Long story said short, call @BoostPower talk to Alexi he will tell you the straights of it. He did my 496ho pcm for 479$ was total 502$ and came with a Shirt and it’s my size, Whipple wanted 745$ plus shipping and I’ll bet i wouldn’t have gotten a shirt also, the shirt alone made me happier then the actual 1/3% the over all cost. Plus he was real straight with me about what i could expect gain wise vs Whipple just claiming 10% hp
He explained where I’d see the gains and tq line change. As well he never made me feel like i was bothering him by calling the shop Whipple just acted like “yea this is what we do and we are the best, period...”

Thanks. At times I can be grumpy though. [emoji38]

Sent from my EFI BEACON!

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
Also. I left a few codes in the ecu. Have your guy check I to them.

Sent from my EFI BEACON!

outboardrick

Reaction score
That's good information but how did it work for you? I can buy my own T shirts :)
Was there enough improvement to warrant the cost?

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
That's good information but how did it work for you? I can buy my own T shirts :)

I’ll just say Whipples work well, our mods as well, to each is own. The gains are minimal on these engines. $479 is our charge for any ecu mod! Thanks

Sent from my EFI BEACON!

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
:mad::mad::mad:
Ok i take it all back!!! :p

Lol. No it’s all good I left the code history in place. It’s normal. But whomever tests the engine should always beware of old historical codes. It’s to your benefit to have that checked by the installer[emoji1303]

Sent from my EFI BEACON!

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score

I did headers at the same time, and actually just picked it up a few hours ago, and just drug it to E-Ticket to get quote on the new S pipes then dropped off at Saleen to have them fix a little fiberglass screw up i did. So i won’t have true real world one piece reply as well not for a week or so. But there’s enough reviews out there by others on both BoostPower and Wimple’s tunes that i feel I’ll be happy with the 500$ spendings.

Kaotic

Reaction score
I’ll just say Whipples work well, our mods as well, to each is own. The gains are minimal on these engines. $479 is our charge for any ecu mod! Thanks

Sent from my EFI BEACON!
What gains do you see with the ecu mod? I have (2) 496 HO looking to get this done in a few weeks.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
What gains do you see with the ecu mod? I have (2) 496 HO looking to get this done in a few weeks.
Just call him Rex, but it’s mostly fuel and spark curve changes through the bottom and midrange from what i recall from my conversations, your big heavy girl will really enjoy the changes I’d bet.

HavaToon

Reaction score

Sent from my EFI BEACON!

Do you do Verado outboards as well?

HavaToon

Reaction score
We can, however Whipple is a better choice for the outboard program. We only do one by one on our prop dyno. We can provide you with the product from Whipple if you like

Sent from my EFI BEACON!

Thanks for the feedback.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
We can, however Whipple is a better choice for the outboard program. We only do one by one on our prop dyno. We can provide you with the product from Whipple if you like

Sent from my EFI BEACON!

Out of curiosity what would a tune for a carbed 548 with a Dominator 1050 cost on the prop dyno?:)

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
I would just leave them alone as the little gains you will see will not be worth the cost of having to run 91 octane.

Unless you run headers and air cleaner. They run too kean like that then soon they go boom if left stock [emoji1303]

Sent from my EFI BEACON!

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
We charge $479 plus carb parts

Sent from my EFI BEACON!

dang...way better than I was expecting.

Are you able to come close to simulating a real world load on the boat when tuning?

I think the tune is very rich when the secondaries open. I have a 02 bung welded into my exhaust for an A/F gauge as well.

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
dang...way better than I was expecting.

Are you able to come close to simulating a real world load on the boat when tuning?

I think the tune is very rich when the secondaries open. I have a 02 bung welded into my exhaust for an A/F gauge as well.
Pretty exact! Other then wind drag and water drag but we have the calcs dialed in

Sent from my EFI BEACON!

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you able to compensate for the drag and wind?

Are they pretty much water ready once dialed in?

It’s more complicated to explain. If you know what your max rpm is, we can simulate every rpm to get it perfect. Some boats are at 1/2 throttle at say 4500 rpm. Some are at 3500. We just verify both and usually a carb is somewhat linear so the results are usually spot on. No adjust after our DYNO other then your idle speed in gear and that’s easy for you to do if necessary[emoji469]

Sent from my EFI BEACON!

clcarter74

Reaction score

whats the contact number for whipple

robby dmax

Reaction score
whats the contact number for whipple
Google has it!!
B2DE8D5F-A358-43E0-BEC2-AAF06F0A54C3.png