WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

White Portland Cement as a pool deck covering ?

farmo83

Reaction score
My wife and I are getting a quote to redo our pool deck in concrete. One of the quotes we got was from an old timer. We told him we wanted it covered wtih CoolDek or SprayDek. He said all that was White Portland Cement with Dust added to it. He said he would cover it with White Portland Cement and Dust and it would be much cheaper. I've never heard of this before. He's done several jobs before for us that we have liked, at times he doesn't seem to be up with the times though.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Never seen a White Portland Cement Pool Deck in person but there is lots of pics on the Interweb. They look really nice. You don’t want CoolDek unless you like paying to have it repaired every few years, lol. The issue I think would be that white concrete is highly reflective of the sun and would just about blind you after being on top of it for a while? I’m using Silver Concrete Pavers with Travertive Coping on our pool build. Yes it’s like 3X the cost of concrete but it should be pretty much maintenance free for 30+ years 😬 Poured Concrete will have lots of cracking and lifting in that time.

PlanB

Reaction score
We have some Cool Deck (sp) getting redone in Havasu next month because of a few damaged areas. It does not look like normal cement underneath the texture. It has a sand like consistency which is probably what helps keep it cool. There might be cement under that layer, but if you chip into it, there is definitely something else under the texture.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Well old timer ain’t wrong. But not exactly the mix, lol
white cement, #20 marble sand, kool deck. Plus color if adding ( basically polymer additive ) helps with strength and adhesion.
Some will do bond coat before doing texture coat. Some do bond coat, texture coat, and paint color coat.