WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

White Rim Trail - Canyonlands

franky

Reaction score
Anybody driven it? Experience?

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Was just there two weeks ago. Didn’t go beyond island in the sky as I was in a motorhome.

Is that a jeep trail? I know my boss was there last week and said he rented a jeep out of Moab. I can ask him.

franky

Reaction score
Was just there two weeks ago. Didn’t go beyond island in the sky as I was in a motorhome.

Is that a jeep trail? I know my boss was there last week and said he rented a jeep out of Moab. I can ask him.
It says you need 4wd and high clearance. I am wondering if my full size dodge ram pickup is too big

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
It says you need 4wd and high clearance. I am wondering if my full size dodge ram pickup is too big

Unfortunately he did Gemini Bridges to Canyonlands then to Schafer trail to Potash. They saw White Rim along the way but passed it.

2Driver

Reaction score
Yea we did it and camped one night. Its awesome and super desolate. you need to get a permit and reservation to camp and you get a specific spot to camp. Choose your spot wisely as some suck and others are spectacular.

Speed is strictly enforced if a ranger catches you and they are out there. you also run a cold camp no fires. The road is not that bad, im not sure you really need 4wd. Our friends did it in 3 days on mt bikes and a support jeep towed a trailer. If I recal the worst place was a short hill climb call Murphy's hogback. youtube it

Id do it again, but camp 2 nights otherwise you dont have alot of time out of the car. Hey Joe canyon to the end at the mine is another equally spectacular trip that can be done easily in one day from Moab. Biggest vehicle for that trip would be a JKU as there are some tight turns by the river

Last edited:

franky

Reaction score
Yea we did it and camped one night. Its awesome and super desolate. you need to get a permit and reservation to camp and you get a specific spot to camp. Choose your spot wisely as some suck and others are spectacular.

Speed is strictly enforced if a ranger catches you and they are out there. you also run a cold camp no fires. The road is not that bad, im not sure you really need 4wd. Our friends did it in 3 days on mt bikes and a support jeep towed a trailer. If I recal the worst place was a short hill climb call Murphy's hogback. youtube it

Id do it again, but camp 2 nights otherwise you dont have alot of time out of the car. Hey Joe canyon to the end at the mine is another equally spectacular trip that can be done easily in one day from Moab. Biggest vehicle for that trip would be a JKU as there are some tight turns by the river

Thanks for the response! How do you pick the good camp sites?

2Driver

Reaction score
Thanks for the response! How do you pick the good camp sites?

We looked on the forest service site where you reserve the spot then looked at google earth to see what looked best

dawnpatrol

Reaction score
I did the White Rim years ago in a Jeep. We did not camp but kept moving at a good clip and finished in a long day. Early am departure at sun up at trail head and came up the switch backs in the evening in the dark. Most recommend camping, but we were pressed for time. Awesome trail, not very technical but amazing scenery. X2 on the permit needed to run. Stay on the trail, there is the Moab’s Cryptobiotic Soil Crust all around that you can't / shouldn't walk on. Enjoy if you have the time..

JD D05

Reaction score
I have done a short section of it. Not sure of the exact section but I did the long decent on the side of the cliff with all the switch backs. I did it in a Ford f350.

teded

Reaction score
Did a little bit of the Rim Road on SXS’s up by Happy Jack Az. I’m not to keen on high dirt roads with large drop offs. You could see for miles up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

franky

Reaction score
Did a little bit of the Rim Road on SXS’s up by Happy Jack Az. I’m not to keen on high dirt roads with large drop offs. You could see for miles up there.

Website says sxs atv not allowed

teded

Reaction score
IMG_2973.jpg

Rim road

cuz_im_CR

Reaction score
IMG_2428.jpg

IMG_2429.jpg

I did a portion of it in my superduty. You should have no issue in a full-size. I’ve seen cabovers on the trail

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I've seen all kinds of vehicles out there. One of the most beautiful areas I've been to. Even on bikes it's a long day.

Dana757

Reaction score
I really want to do that also. The campsites fill up fast. From what I see you need to book 6 monthsish in advance.

Willow Rat

Reaction score
Did it twice. Both were long days. Great trip. Off my bucket list now.

franky

Reaction score
Did it twice. Both were long days. Great trip. Off my bucket list now.
That would be a long slow bumpy day? We were able to get a campsite at Murphy so doing it in two days. Gonna spend a day or so in and around Moab beforehand. Any must see (besides the brewery)?

franky

Reaction score
I really want to do that also. The campsites fill up fast. From what I see you need to book 6 monthsish in advance.
Yesterday I got a spot for July 12! You had me scared.....

2Driver

Reaction score
That would be a long slow bumpy day? We were able to get a campsite at Murphy so doing it in two days. Gonna spend a day or so in and around Moab beforehand. Any must see (besides the brewery)?

It’s going to be pretty darn hot down there. I’d at least take a ride up the road along the Colorado River up toward red cliffs adventure lodge. Go in and check it out it. It’s pretty cool spot with a restaurant over looking the canyon and river.

You may want to run down Hey Joe canyon to the river it’s a fairly short drive unless you’ve had enough rocks and cliffs by then :). The graded road down to the bottom is a spectacular drive. Personally I like eating outside up stairs at Zax's and watching vehicles cruise by.

franky

Reaction score
It’s going to be pretty darn hot down there. I’d at least take a ride up the road along the Colorado River up toward red cliffs adventure lodge. Go in and check it out it. It’s pretty cool spot with a restaurant over looking the canyon and river.

You may want to run down Hey Joe canyon to the river it’s a fairly short drive unless you’ve had enough rocks and cliffs by then :). The graded road down to the bottom is a spectacular drive. Personally I like eating outside up stairs at Zax's and watching vehicles cruise by.

Thanks for the info. Weather says 90’s day 60’s night. I live in Havasu so this will be fine!

franky

Reaction score
What a fantastic experience this trip was. I would say dont do it in the summer but on the other hand we were able to get a campsite on short notice (there are only 20 on the 100 mile trail) and we only saw 5 other vehicles, 2 of which were NPS). 12.5 hours on Sunday going 42 miles to our campsite at Murphy and 5 hrs on Monday coming back out. Average for the trip 5.6 mph.
EF2BD5A9-BA65-48F2-9C9A-41317DFA8AB2.jpeg
E4D82FB5-FAFA-45CA-A1C5-EF96E40F5701.jpeg
394DD3A8-102D-48E7-A7A8-3CCC9A4AF75A.jpeg
8084887A-3395-4CEE-A3FF-4193DE52D984.jpeg

franky

Reaction score
So some of the trail got pretty narrow with rock wall on one side and shear fall on the other. The last part of our assent to where our camp was is an approx 1 mile 4WD low range 1st gear nail biter. When we got to the top, my wife and I were pretty swetty and made a beeline to the cocktail fixins set up our chairs and enjoyed this view
9C343AB0-5487-4114-8B6F-454D3E4ABA03.jpeg

Attachments

• 501ECAB3-E78D-4248-9038-3E7400D10650.jpeg
    501ECAB3-E78D-4248-9038-3E7400D10650.jpeg
    327.5 KB · Views: 38

2Driver

Reaction score
Great pics...ha that one spot is a little sketchy. I was wondering if it was warm camping for you at Murphy’s. We camped under the cottonwood trees next to the river. It was awesome in Oct but lows in the 30’s

franky

Reaction score
Great pics...ha that one spot is a little sketchy. I was wondering if it was warm camping for you at Murphy’s. We camped under the cottonwood trees next to the river. It was awesome in Oct but lows in the 30’s
We timed it so we got to camp at 7:30, in time for a couple cocktails while making dinner. Slight breeze, dinner and sundown, time for bed. Worked out great. Beautiful star filled night.