WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

White smoke out of a 6.0

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
2004 Ford F-350

Truck randomly idled rough a few times in the past month or so. Then it did about 4 times today.

Just now, pulled out of Windsor and drove to Tavern 95. Started blowing some white smoke right after passing the Rivera.

I’m guessing an injector.

Any recommendation for diesel shop in town? Truck rental?

Trying to convince the wife that I should just buy a new dually this weekend 😃

FishSniper

Reaction score
2004 Ford F-350

Truck randomly idled rough a few times in the past month or so. Then it did about 4 times today.

Just now, pulled out of Windsor and drove to Tavern 95. Started blowing some white smoke right after passing the Rivera.

I’m guessing an injector.

Any recommendation for diesel shop in town? Truck rental?

Trying to convince the wife that I should just buy a new dually this weekend 😃
Robinson automotive seems to be the go to shop on here. Think they open limited hours on saturdays.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Do the diesels get the buildup under the oil cap like a gasser does?

Mine did the same thing as described by the OP. Looked at reservoir and it was bubbling and oil mixed. Two days later it was at Trenton’s and a week after that it was rebuilt, bulletproofed, and tuned.

It was a fun truck once repaired but that white smoke was a fuck off moment when it happened.

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
Aka blown head gasket relief valve! I’ve owned 2 6.0s first one an 03 and it sucked needle bearings from a lifter through the hpop so I sold it for 2k as “needs work”. Second was an 05 I bought blown up and spent 10k on a rebuild and bulletproof all to have a continuing can of worms! Never ever again! Bought a cummins and have never looked back.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Aka blown head gasket relief valve! I’ve owned 2 6.0s first one an 03 and it sucked needle bearings from a lifter through the hpop so I sold it for 2k as “needs work”. Second was an 05 I bought blown up and spent 10k on a rebuild and bulletproof all to have a continuing can of worms! Never ever again! Bought a cummins and have never looked back.

$10k on a rebuild? How in the hell did you agree to that price lol

Fastdadtsmith

Reaction score
Robinsons is open 8-12 tomorrow, but slim chance of them touching it. They're like a boat shop for diesels.

pixrthis

Reaction score
Mine blew white smoke at 175,000, turned out to be a bad injector so I replaced all of them. I had them checked when I had it bulletproofed at 213,000 and they were fine. It has 266,000 plus on it now and (knock on wood) runs great. I believe the white smoke was from an injector hanging open.

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
Yeah ford didn't do very well with the 6.0

I'd replace it with a newer Ford. That's about the only way to fix the problem.

Spot

Reaction score
Where is home base for you? IMO you are better off towing that thing to a shop that specializes in. 6.0s. The shops that specialize in 6.0s will actually save you money in the long run because they are just better at diagnosing problems.

Domestic Diesel in Chino is one of the best.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Mine blew white smoke at 175,000, turned out to be a bad injector so I replaced all of them. I had them checked when I had it bulletproofed at 213,000 and they were fine. It has 266,000 plus on it now and (knock on wood) runs great. I believe the white smoke was from an injector hanging open.
Where is home base for you? IMO you are better off towing that thing to a shop that specializes in. 6.0s. The shops that specialize in 6.0s will actually save you money in the long run because they are just better at diagnosing problems.

Domestic Diesel in Chino is one of the best.
If it is diesel smoke, very good chance it's an injector. If replacing 1, do them all. It will save some money in the long run. If you don't have a pyro, I'd be real hesitant to drive it too far, especially if towing. Over fueling with a diesel isn't like a gas motor. It's almost like the injector goes full torch. You run the risk of blowing a hole through the piston. If a headgasket goes first, that's actually a blessing at that point.

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
Agree on the injector replacement as I dropped one every 2 weeks and replaced them one at a time. Should have done them all at once like I was told.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Swapped the boat to a buddy’s superduty. He pulled it back to our rental on the north side of town off Palo Verde/95. Limped my truck back to house.

I’m going to grab some additive to address stiction tomorrow morning. I think it’s worth a shot if it’s an injector.

I bought the truck in 2013 with 72k miles and now it has 150k. It’s never been chipped and never had major issues. But I’ve been wait for my first big diesel issue solely based on the age of the truck.

Ghit

Reaction score
Definitely do all 8 injectors w/ only motorcraft. You can run stiction jelly all day but it's really a preventative.
-EGR delete.
-Clean your turbo.
-Upgrade your FICM(these can test fine and still suck)
-Consider a new leece neville high output alternator, upgrade your battery cables and buy new batteries.

Not optional: CAT delete

manxman

Reaction score
Had an 05 and had the same thing happen. Was the hpop for me. I wound up bullet proofing it (everything but headstuds). In this market, and with your miles (low) I would spend the money on the bullet proof stuff. You might be able to sell it for more, but what can you replace it with thats not going to cost a fortune?

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
It's a Ford, if its not smoking it's not running

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
I also hope its an easy fix. White smoke is generally an injector like others have stated but in a HEUI injection system there are allot of systems in play.

Before you change injectors have the system's pressure tested. White smoke is raw fuel and over time can wash rings. Are you due for an oil change? Test the High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP) also. Some of the key items that give the injector the ability to make the fine spray needed.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Harleys only run if they are leaking oil

Pan, knuckle, shovel, first years of the Evolution...the puke was a possibility. No longer a thing past 20 years.

Spot

Reaction score
White smoke can mean a lot of things, your best bet is to get it diagnosed properly. Trust me. Injectors are $180 each so swapping them out without actually needing it can get very expensive.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Pan, knuckle, shovel, first years of the Evolution...the puke was a possibility. No longer a thing past 20 years.
Tell that to a few of my friends that have new ones

Your ad here

Reaction score
White smoke can be injector or injectors. It could also be the EGR cooler. Does the white smoke smell sweet or burn your eyes? If it's sweet thats coolant and more than likely the EGR cooler. Check the coolant level as well. If it's low thats another sign of EGR cooler. If its the other, probably injector(s). If the EGR cooler, have the oil cooler replaced at the same time as it plugs on the coolant side with the casting sand thus super heating the coolant that then travels to the EGR cooler and contributes to EGR cooler failure. If it's injectors, have the shop diagnose and do their thing. On 6.0s you should only run OEM fuel and oil filters. The engines are so sensitive with filters. Usually aftermarket oil filters get crushed in the housing, filter pleats kink, and eventually wear a hole in them and send crap through the oil system. Same with the fuel filters.

welldigger00

Reaction score
So, he was a 6.0 virgin?
I've owned 2, worked on a few...I must be kind of slutty that way [emoji23]

I’ve owned six at one time, 550 work trucks all of them. Every single one had the cab off at least once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Tried stiction eliminator and a fuel additive. Ran it for about 45 mins with a few one mile-ish laps around the neighborhood. Not any better.

Going to have it towed to a diesel shop off Lenwood in Barstow (max AAA miles) and at least get it diagnosed there.

Luckily we have plenty of friends to ride home with tomorrow.