WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

White Trailer to Black To Silver

shunter2005

Reaction score
My Extreme Trailer is currently painted white and is due for a repaint. I am thinking about changing it to black. I'm tired of it always being dirty and over the years it has turned somewhat dingy than the original pure white. Just trying to decide if it would look good with my boat. I like the black, but it's hard to picture since the black isn't glossy. Here are a couple of pics of it as it is, in the white and some crappy Sharpie mods of the trailer in black.

Opinions and reasons why, please.

Attachments

• IMG_1608_zpsudbrttfx.jpg
    IMG_1608_zpsudbrttfx.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 472
  • 12_20_00_scan01916805.jpg
    12_20_00_scan01916805.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 477
  • 20160221_133602.jpg
    20160221_133602.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 474
  • 12_20_10_scan01916727.jpg
    12_20_10_scan01916727.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
This is interesting since I’ve been thinking about the same thing. I’m kinda tossed but leaning towards the white. Maybe try blacking out the wheels too and see if changes the overall look

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Black is great.

For equipment trailers, and horse trailers.

Of the 3 boats I have, all 3 had black trailers, now they're white.

#whitetrailersmatter

Dan'l

shunter2005

Reaction score
This is interesting since I’ve been thinking about the same thing. I’m kinda tossed but leaning towards the white. Maybe try blacking out the wheels too and see if changes the overall look

Personally, I am not a fan of black rims on a white vehicle or trailer. My daughter and SIL have a white '18 Tahoe with black rims and I think it dulls down the look of the vehicle. Yeah, I know....I should join the 21st century, but I am an old guy and I still like the shiny shit.

Don't get me wrong, I like the white trailer, but.... it shows every imperfection, like scratches, rust spots, etc. so bad. From 20 ft away, my trailer looks good, but when you get close, you see all the road rash and nicks in the paint. I was just thinking about a different look. Boat has both purple and black in the gel scheme. I surely don't want a purple trailer, so I was thinking black. I know that black is harder to keep clean and looks like shit when it's dirty or dusty.

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Leave it white. Change out the fenders to stainless and just give the trailer a classy clean up. It’s a Hallett. Keep it classy.

brownsuger

Reaction score
I'm painting my trailer this winter and was thinking of black.... But after seeing this, I'll keep it white

shunter2005

Reaction score
I'm painting my trailer this winter and was thinking of black.... But after seeing this, I'll keep it white
Yes, I agree. The more I have thought about it the more I don't really like the black. Mine will stay white as well.

Maestro

Reaction score
Repaint the trailer to match the tow vehicle. That's how I prefer it. I personally don't like boats and trailers match in color, while the tow vehicle has a different color.

shunter2005

Reaction score
Well, thanks to all of you. As stated, I decided to keep the trailer white. I have a white truck and I still like the white. The paint on it is original and still looks good (from a distance) even though it's getting a bit long in the tooth. However, I am going to have it powder coated instead of painted.

Budman - Thanks for the suggestion. I thought about SS fenders two years ago before I had my old steel fenders powder coated. They still look like they were coated yesterday, but I really do like those SS fenders. So, I priced out the SS fenders and they are available for $355 each. Since I live in Texas, I found a shipping company that will pick up and deliver to me for less than $200. All in all, not a bad deal. I just have to drill the mounting holes and the fender board holes.

Nailhead

Reaction score
We are going from an off white to a dark green on the trailer. I hope it works out because I like the trailer to match the tow vehicle when the boat is off but I also like the trailer to match the boat.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Interesting to see everyone say white. The trend nowadays is everything black. Look at DCB, MTI, Outerlimits, Skaters...everyone has black trailers. Just an interesting observation, I figured I’d see everyone voting black.

Me personally, I’ve always had black boat trailers. I think they look good and you can touch them up with any black paint out of a rattle can. I’m currently looking at a boat with a white trailer that needs to be repainted, that’s the first stop is gonna be paint it black...

shunter2005

Reaction score
Yes, I agree. The more I have thought about it the more I don't really like the black. Mine will stay white as well.
Well, I was all set to have my trailer powdercoated in white. Had it stripped out and ready to go to PC. For some unknown (and probably dangerous) reason I started thinking about colors, other than white (or black). I had seen a brand new GMC truck that was painted silver. Their silver is a bright silver and looked great to me. Kept thinking about it and looking around online at colors. White and silver go with most anything, so I figured I couldn't go wrong either way. Long story short, I found a muted metallic silver that I really liked and decided to pc the trailer in that color. I was afraid that I wouldn't like it and after seeing it in their shop, I was right. I didn't like it. I loved it!!!!! I haven't seen it in the sunlight yet, but I think it's really going to pop. They are still finishing up on it and it should be ready to come home tomorrow.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Well, I was all set to have my trailer powdercoated in white. Had it stripped out and ready to go to PC. For some unknown (and probably dangerous) reason I started thinking about colors, other than white (or black). I had seen a brand new GMC truck that was painted silver. Their silver is a bright silver and looked great to me. Kept thinking about it and looking around online at colors. White and silver go with most anything, so I figured I couldn't go wrong either way. Long story short, I found a muted metallic silver that I really liked and decided to pc the trailer in that color. I was afraid that I wouldn't like it and after seeing it in their shop, I was right. I didn't like it. I loved it!!!!! I haven't seen it in the sunlight yet, but I think it's really going to pop. They are still finishing up on it and it should be ready to come home tomorrow.

Nice, cant wait to see pics. Who did the work and how much (or what) did you have to take off the trailer to have it PC'd . I'm thinking of doing the same as my trailer needs some love

shunter2005

Reaction score
Nice, cant wait to see pics. Who did the work and how much (or what) did you have to take off the trailer to have it PC'd . I'm thinking of doing the same as my trailer needs some love
I live in Texas, which probably won't help you much. Had it done at a place just west of Houston. I had to strip it out completely. Lights, wiring, brake hoses, bunks, even the trailer jack should be removed. Nothing but the frame and running gear. 400* plus heat will burn up most everything.

I will post some pics, once I get it back and start putting her back together.

Last edited:

shunter2005

Reaction score
We did a sliver color on trailer.. its a extreme(thats a whole another story in its self)
some pics..
View attachment 842257 View attachment 842258 View attachment 842259 View attachment 842260
Oh yeah, I like that!!!

I agree with you about Extreme. I was very surprised with what I found when I started stripping it out. All I can say is, I was dissappointed with some of the workmanship. As a disclaimer, the trailer is 20 yrs old and I am sure they do things different today.

Last edited:

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Also steping on a black trailer that has been in the sun barefoot is goibg to give you a new meaning to the term hot foot

shunter2005

Reaction score
Well, finally decided to do the trailer in White Aluminum which is basically silver with a whitish cast. I think it came out great. Got it almost completely done, just a few more things and it will be ready to put the boat back on it.

First two are pics right after I brought it home from the powder coater and started putting it back together.

Rest are pics from today. Still need to button up a few things. Including the rest of the new 3-d chrome decals and SS trim rings for the clearance lights (last pics are a test for the decals and the clearance light trim rings).
REBUILD BEGINS.jpg
REBUILD BEGINS 2.jpg
ALMOST DONE 2.jpg
ALMOST DONE 3.jpg
ALMOST DONE 5.jpg
ALMOST DONE 6.jpg
ALMOST DONE 7.jpg
ALMOST DONE 9.jpg

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Came out awesome buddy, can see the gray/silver hue in that first pic better than those you sent me. Did a great job for a geriatric 👍🏼👍🏼😜

shunter2005

Reaction score
Thanks. Would have been a lot easier if I hadn't had to do it all sitting in the street on the side of my house. Lot of guys stopped by and talked about it, so I at least met some new neighbors from the area. Now, if I can just get people to stop asking me about my LSU boat trailer.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Well, finally decided to do the trailer in White Aluminum which is basically silver with a whitish cast. I think it came out great. Got it almost completely done, just a few more things and it will be ready to put the boat back on it.

First two are pics right after I brought it home from the powder coater and started putting it back together.

Rest are pics from today. Still need to button up a few things. Including the rest of the new 3-d chrome decals and SS trim rings for the clearance lights (last pics are a test for the decals and the clearance light trim rings). View attachment 844998 View attachment 844999 View attachment 845000 View attachment 845001 View attachment 845002 View attachment 845003 View attachment 845004 View attachment 845005
What did you use to attach the diamond plate to the fender steps?

shunter2005

Reaction score
What did you use to attach the diamond plate to the fender steps?
Same stuff Extreme uses. I will go look to be sure, but I'm almost sure it's 3M 560 sealant. I will tell you one thing, it's thick as hell. It takes forever to push it through a caulk gun and brother is it sticky....

shunter2005

Reaction score
Got all the decals on it today and the clearance light trim rings. Those trim rings would not work on the three lights on the rear of the trailer. Also have some SS trim rings for the stop lights, but I need at least 3 hands to install them. They will have to wait a little while. Got some cheapies on it now, so it doesn't look too bad.
ALMOST DONE 13.jpg
ALMOST DONE 11.jpg
ALMOST DONE 10.jpg

shunter2005

Reaction score
Loaded the boat back on the trailer today. Dry rack storage lift guys are pretty good. I was scared to death with the boat up in the air, but he set it down on the trailer softly.
11.jpg
14.jpg
16.jpg

lenmann

Reaction score
Looks great! Nice upgrade.

What is the 2x6 tube deal hanging off the curbside front?

I am assuming you left the axles and springs under the trailer for powder coat? Does the powder coat baking process do anything to the rubber spring bushings?

shunter2005

Reaction score
Looks great! Nice upgrade.

What is the 2x6 tube deal hanging off the curbside front?

I am assuming you left the axles and springs under the trailer for powder coat? Does the powder coat baking process do anything to the rubber spring bushings?
Bow ladder mount. Still have to put the pads on it before I mount it.

Axles and springs were left in place. Hmmmm..... I didn't see anything obvious, but now that you mention it, I will look next time up at the boat.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Bow ladder mount. Still have to put the pads on it before I mount it.

Axles and springs were left in place. Hmmmm..... I didn't see anything obvious, but now that you mention it, I will look next time up at the boat.
I doubt the leaf springs have any rubber bushings, at least any of the trailer leaf springs I've ever dealt with don't.

shunter2005

Reaction score
I doubt the leaf springs have any rubber bushings, at least any of the trailer leaf springs I've ever dealt with don't.
You are most probably right Tom. I didn't look at them. Looks like most have nylon bushings instead of rubber.

mbrown2

Reaction score
Came out really nice...so after disassembling everything did you have to sand any bad spots or did they just sand blast and powdercoat it?

shunter2005

Reaction score
Came out really nice...so after disassembling everything did you have to sand any bad spots or did they just sand blast and powdercoat it?
Thanks. I did some of the obvious spots like the top of the bunk braces, but mainly to make sure there was enough steel left before powder coating. They blasted it.